Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there even a scientific reason for this

Tags:
  1. Feb 5, 2015 #1

kay

So this is what happened. the thing is that wherever i go i hum. So i was in the bathroom that day and it was as usual tiled everywhere. So when I started to hum, it echoed. Nothing special about it. But as i raised my pitch, there was a pitch at which my humming sound echoed ENORMOUSLY. And there was no other pitch at which it echoed SO MUCH. Is there any scientific reason for this?
    ( I don't know which subject this question pertained to. So I just chose classical physics. Sorry about that. )

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3

kay

Dude I have no idea what it is.. Please be a bit more explicit?

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try clicking the link to the Wikipedia article.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  6. Feb 6, 2015 #5

jh0

7. Feb 6, 2015 #6

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We used to do this in our dorm room with my roommate's stereo. It had some kind of fixed-frequency output from the stereo amplifier (speaker check?) that we would turn on. The neat thing was that it produced standing waves in the room. You could walk around the room, and find nodes and antinodes. The OP might try having a friend (it must be a good, nerdy, non-judgemental friend, one who will not think the request to be strange... :) ) walk around the room to see if there is this kind of structure. I remember that the difference between loud and soft was very dramatic.

Benade's book: "Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics" talks some about these kinds of effect. [It is an inexpensive Dover paperback] Arthur Benade was a nuclear physicist at Case Western who switched his research area to musical acoustics.

8. Feb 7, 2015 #7

kay

After reading your reply to my question,
    Man. I suddenly feel so special. Thanks a lot. :D

9. Feb 7, 2015 #8

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Your rooms response is something people who like good music reproduction spend a lot of time and money on things like acoustic treatments not to have. :D
    You can use electronic EQ (effective for reducing peaks but not other room mode effects) but designing and/or adding passive treatments to a room with the correct physical properties improves sound at all locations not just a narrow location near the measurement device.

10. Feb 8, 2015 #9

kay

No problems. :3
    I have other rooms to make music in. xD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook