Is There Life after Flunking out of College?

• Other
  • Thread starter arydberg
  • Start date
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Just for some context, this “problem” of useless degrees isn’t nearly as bad as it’s perennially made out to be:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fiveth...t-most-colleges-dont-pick-useless-majors/amp/
It’s also worthwhile noting that, while the overall poverty rate in the US is about 12%, the poverty rate among people who completed a Bachelor’s degree (any major) is closer to 4%.
Just to point our this probably brings up the poverty rate of those without a degree close to (Edit , probably 16%), which is pretty high. But, in a cruelly funny way, these are the people who will use Bill Gates as an example for why college is not needed for success. If you have a millionaire dad ( as a safety net in case things don't work out ) like Bill did, and access to training in your teens that the remaing 99%+ dont, then, true, you don't need college. @jack action , it seems you were unfortunate in landing into a college that was too mainstream and did not allow or make much room for those like you ( and myself, others) looking to find their own way rather than being molded according to some prefab format. Hopefully the internet and other modern means will give you, us, the flexibility we seek.
Edit: Just wondering where @arydberg went.

Likes Math_QED and Adesh
Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Overgeneralisation is certainly a problem in this thread.

@Math_QED Here is the source and proof that other people also know about that story.

The answer there says about Thomas Edison, I read somewhere it was Gauss. But after all, I didn’t make it up and that proves the real thing.

I would like to be sorry if I sounded unhealthy in above. You have helped me many times in sub-forums (you remember that logic question) and I have no hard feelings for you :-).

Likes Math_QED
Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
@Math_QED Here is the source and proof that other people also know about that story.

The answer there says about Thomas Edison, I read somewhere it was Gauss. But after all, I didn’t make it up and that proves the real thing.

I would like to be sorry if I sounded unhealthy in above. You have helped me many times in sub-forums (you remember that logic question) and I have no hard feelings for you :-).
Well, that's cleared out then! I have no hard feelings for you either!

• Love
Likes Adesh
arydberg
Gold Member
Just to point our this probably brings up the poverty rate of those without a degree close to (Edit , probably 16%), which is pretty high. But, in a cruelly funny way, these are the people who will use Bill Gates as an example for why college is not needed for success. If you have a millionaire dad ( as a safety net in case things don't work out ) like Bill did, and access to training in your teens that the remaing 99%+ dont, then, true, you don't need college. @jack action , it seems you were unfortunate in landing into a college that was too mainstream and did not allow or make much room for those like you ( and myself, others) looking to find their own way rather than being molded according to some prefab format. Hopefully the internet and other modern means will give you, us, the flexibility we seek.
Edit: Just wondering where @arydberg went.
I am here. For those interested I got my degree ( in Physics). after transferring marks from a real university ( City college of NY). to a crap university like URI. Sorry but at 78 years old i still hate those bastards.

My last job before retirement was as an engineer on the staff of Brown University where they assign an advisor to each student and they get together every week. A far cry from 4 years and no meetings ever with any advisor. Math was easy for me I do not know how the thread got changed to math.