Is this a typo? (Quantum Theory for Mathematicians by Brian C. Hall)

• I
  • Thread starter danielristic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the author has mistakenly used the symbol ##Q## for the charge of the electron when he meant to use the symbol ##e##. He has then corrected his mistake, but has not included the correction in the book. He has also included a typo, which has not been corrected.
danielristic
TL;DR Summary
Just started reading this book and wondering if this is a typo or if I'm already lost.
Hello,

After reading a few vulgarisation books, I'm looking into familiarising myself with the more mathematical aspects of quantum physics so I've started reading Quantum Theory for Mathematicians by Brian C. Hall.

I'm only 9 pages in but I've already spotted what I think is a typo. I checked online and the author is providing some corrections but this one is not part of the list.

Here's the relevant except:

Hall_2013_pdf__page_26_of_566_.png

As "e" was never introduced I'm assuming this is really "Q", what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
danielristic said:
Summary:: Just started reading this book and wondering if this is a typo or if I'm already lost.

Hello,

After reading a few vulgarisation books, I'm looking into familiarising myself with the more mathematical aspects of quantum physics so I've started reading Quantum Theory for Mathematicians by Brian C. Hall.

I'm only 9 pages in but I've already spotted what I think is a typo. I checked online and the author is providing some corrections but this one is not part of the list.

Here's the relevant except:

View attachment 259386

As "e" was never introduced I'm assuming this is really "Q", what do you think?
Assuming you are a mathematician, can't you prove from those equations that ##Q = \pm e##?

Likes vanhees71
From a mathematical standpoint, given the last two equations sure, you can infer that ##Q^2 = e^2## and that therefore ##Q=e## or ##Q=-e## but I'm not trying to solve a maths problem here. In physics, variables are attached to measurable quantities or constants and conventional notations tend to use the same symbols to designate the same things.

I don't have an extensive background in physics but I know that ##e## is commonly used for the charge of an electron but the previous except states "Q is the charge of the electron" so I was just trying to figure out if Q and e had a different conventional meaning for physicists or if it was simply a typographical error.

danielristic said:
From a mathematical standpoint, given the last two equations sure, you can infer that ##Q^2 = e^2## and that therefore ##Q=e## or ##Q=-e## but I'm not trying to solve a maths problem here. In physics, variables are attached to measurable quantities or constants and conventional notations tend to use the same symbols to designate the same things.

I don't have an extensive background in physics but I know that ##e## is commonly used for the charge of an electron but the previous except states "Q is the charge of the electron" so I was just trying to figure out if Q and e had a different conventional meaning for physicists or if it was simply a typographical error.
It certainly looks like he suddenly decided to use ##e## instead of ##Q## and then immediately changed his mind again!

From what I know, ##Q## is generally used as a generic symbol for the charge of anything. And, ##e## is often used specifically as the charge on an electron; or as minus the charge on an electron, i.e. the charge on a proton, depending on the author.

Likes Demystifier, dextercioby and berkeman
I see, makes sense. Thanks!

Likes berkeman
danielristic said:

Be careful. Usually ##e## is the charge of the proton (positive). An electron then has charge ##Q_{\text{e}}=-e## (negative), but some textbooks/papers may use a different notation.

Why is there no Coulomb's constant in (1.3)?

Btw, AFAIK this is all classical physics.

I suppose that is because, "in appropriate units", ##K=1##

Likes forcefield

Related to Is this a typo? (Quantum Theory for Mathematicians by Brian C. Hall)

1. What is the purpose of the book "Quantum Theory for Mathematicians" by Brian C. Hall?

The book aims to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to quantum theory for mathematicians, with a focus on the mathematical foundations and concepts of quantum mechanics.

2. Is the book suitable for non-mathematicians or beginners in quantum theory?

No, the book is primarily intended for mathematicians who already have a solid understanding of linear algebra, functional analysis, and other advanced mathematical concepts.

3. Is the book theoretical or does it include practical applications of quantum theory?

The book is primarily theoretical, focusing on the mathematical principles and concepts of quantum mechanics. However, it does include some examples and applications to illustrate the concepts.

4. What level of mathematics is required to understand the book?

The book assumes a strong background in advanced mathematics, including linear algebra, functional analysis, and complex analysis. It is recommended for graduate students or researchers in mathematics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading the book?

Yes, the author recommends a solid understanding of linear algebra, functional analysis, and complex analysis as a prerequisite for reading the book. Familiarity with basic quantum mechanics and physics concepts is also helpful.