Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is This Contraction of a Tensor Allowed?

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    Say you have a scalar ##S=A^{\alpha}_{\beta}B^{\beta}_{\alpha}## . Since this just means to sum over ##{\alpha}## and ##{\beta}## , is it allowable to rewrite it as ##S=A^{\alpha}_{\alpha}B^{\beta}_{\beta}## . I don't see anything wrong with this, I simply rewrote the dummy indices, but since I am not by far an expert I would like some confirmation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

They're both correct contractions but not equal to each other.
    More precisely, ## A^a_a B^b_b ## is the product of two scalars.
    But ## A^a_bB^b_a ## is different. Consider the tensor ## S^{ad}_{bc}=A^a_b B^d_c ##. Now if I contract a with c and b with d, I get## A^a_bB^b_a ##. So here you're contracting a fourth order tensor twice, instead of multiplying two scalars where each is a contracted 2nd rank tensor.

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suppose e.g. that the indices run from 0 to 1. Then the former means ##A^0_0 B^0_0+ A^0_1B^1_0 +A^1_0B^0_1+A^1_1B^1_1## and the latter means ##(A^0_0+A^1_1)(B^0_0+B^1_1)##, which is equal to ##A^0_0B^0_0+A^0_0B^1_1+A^1_1B^0_0+A^1_1B^1_1##. The difference is ##A^0_1B^1_0+A^1_0B^0_1-A^0_0B^1_1-A^1_1B^0_0##. This isn't always zero.

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the quick replies. I understand now the mistake I made when I assumed the indices could be exchanged just because they were dummy indices.

6. Jul 17, 2015 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In matrix language,
    the first is Trace(AB), and the second is Trace(A)Trace(B), which are generally not equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook