1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this correct (buoyabcy forces - irregular object)?

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    hi, i have an irregular object submerged in water . i would like to verify if i've understood the forces that act on this:
    sides A & F - downward force due to weight of water above objects
    sides E & D - left nad right force - neutralizing each other
    sides B & C - upward buoyancy force

how do sides B & F affect the buoyancy of the object? if it were a regular cube i would understand,
    what bothers me is how much downward pressure does the volume of water trapped between B & F exert if side B is 10" and side F is 10.2". the height of the water column between B&F is 1". the distance from A to B is 12".

the depth that the cube is submerged is 30feet.
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

The hydrostatic pressure at any point in a fluid is equal to pgh (neglecting atmospheric). Therefore the pressure at B and F will be dependent on their individual heights (h) below the surface of the fluid. B will produce an upward force, and F a downward force.

BTW, you can just calculate the volume of the irregular shaped object and determine the buoyant force instead of using a pressure field approach.

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?