1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this coursebook good for a physics major student?

1. Feb 17, 2017 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

None of the twenty chapters of that book deals with electromagnetism.

4. Feb 17, 2017 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I assume you really mean Vol. 2 which covers electromagnetism, or the combined book which includes mechanics, electromagnetism and some modern physics. This is a common textbook for calculus-based introductory (first year university) physics courses in the US. It's comparable to e.g. Halliday, Resnick & Walker's Fundamentals of Physics. I've never used it myself, but the major textbooks at that level are very much like each other in regard to topics covered.

5. Feb 17, 2017 #4
  6. Feb 18, 2017 #5
    I would try to get my hands on Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

Book 2 deals with Electricity and Magnetism. Great book series that is between Halliday and Resnick and books like Kleppner/Purcell.

Alonso does not shy away from calculus. Connections between Physic ideas are shown, and derivations are clear and mathematically correct.

7. Feb 18, 2017 #6
    I have Principle of Physics too (10 th edition) and our new professor gave us this book.I think its combined with mechanics and electromagneticisim,cause in cover theres no info about volume..

I guess Principle of Physics and this book are same in most sense as you said

8. Feb 18, 2017 #7
    • BS: Physics Dept., METU (1989)
    • BS (double major): Mathematics Dept., METU (1989)
    • PhD: Physics Dept., University of California at Berkeley (1995)
    Its his education,I think he is great

9. Feb 18, 2017 #8
    and I am in METU so....

10. Feb 18, 2017 #9
    I dont know I have two physics book...I have to solve their problems first :)

11. Feb 18, 2017 #10
    As Jtbell said ıts combined

12. Feb 21, 2017 #11
    Then why ask for our opinion?

13. Feb 21, 2017 #12
    Opinions are always good :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted