Is this coursebook good for a physics major student?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's major in physics and their professor choosing a book for their electromagnetic course. The student is unsure about the book and asks for opinions, but it is pointed out that the book does not cover electromagnetism. Other textbook suggestions are given, and the conversation shifts to discussing the professor's education. In the end, the student admits to having two physics books and wanting to solve their problems before seeking opinions.
Physics news on Phys.org
None of the twenty chapters of that book deals with electromagnetism.

I assume you really mean Vol. 2 which covers electromagnetism, or the combined book which includes mechanics, electromagnetism and some modern physics. This is a common textbook for calculus-based introductory (first year university) physics courses in the US. It's comparable to e.g. Halliday, Resnick & Walker's Fundamentals of Physics. I've never used it myself, but the major textbooks at that level are very much like each other in regard to topics covered.

I would try to get my hands on Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

Book 2 deals with Electricity and Magnetism. Great book series that is between Halliday and Resnick and books like Kleppner/Purcell.

Alonso does not shy away from calculus. Connections between Physic ideas are shown, and derivations are clear and mathematically correct.

jtbell said:
I assume you really mean Vol. 2 which covers electromagnetism, or the combined book which includes mechanics, electromagnetism and some modern physics. This is a common textbook for calculus-based introductory (first year university) physics courses in the US. It's comparable to e.g. Halliday, Resnick & Walker's Fundamentals of Physics. I've never used it myself, but the major textbooks at that level are very much like each other in regard to topics covered.

I have Principle of Physics too (10 th edition) and our new professor gave us this book.I think its combined with mechanics and electromagneticisim,cause in cover there's no info about volume..

I guess Principle of Physics and this book are same in most sense as you said

smodak said:
Find a new school and a new professor.

• BS: Physics Dept., METU (1989)
  • BS (double major): Mathematics Dept., METU (1989)
  • PhD: Physics Dept., University of California at Berkeley (1995)
Its his education,I think he is great

and I am in METU so...

MidgetDwarf said:
I would try to get my hands on Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

Book 2 deals with Electricity and Magnetism. Great book series that is between Halliday and Resnick and books like Kleppner/Purcell.

Alonso does not shy away from calculus. Connections between Physic ideas are shown, and derivations are clear and mathematically correct.

I don't know I have two physics book...I have to solve their problems first :)

dextercioby said:
None of the twenty chapters of that book deals with electromagnetism.

As Jtbell said ıts combined

Arman777 said:
I don't know I have two physics book...I have to solve their problems first :)
Then why ask for our opinion?

Likes smodak
MidgetDwarf said:
Then why ask for our opinion?
Opinions are always good :)

1. How comprehensive is the coursebook in covering all the necessary topics for a physics major student?

The coursebook is designed specifically for physics major students and covers all the essential topics required for their academic journey. It includes detailed explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students understand and apply the concepts effectively.

2. Does the coursebook have a good balance of theory and practical applications?

Yes, the coursebook strikes a good balance between theoretical concepts and practical applications. It not only provides a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles but also includes real-world examples and experiments to help students apply their knowledge.

3. Are the explanations and illustrations easy to understand for students with varying levels of physics background?

The coursebook is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy to understand for students with varying levels of physics background. It includes explanations and illustrations that cater to both beginners and advanced learners, making it suitable for all students pursuing a physics major.

4. Does the coursebook have enough practice problems and exercises for students to reinforce their learning?

Yes, the coursebook has plenty of practice problems and exercises for students to reinforce their learning. These problems are designed to test their understanding of the concepts and help them apply their knowledge in different scenarios.

5. Is the coursebook updated with the latest developments in the field of physics?

Yes, the coursebook is regularly updated to incorporate the latest developments in the field of physics. This ensures that students have access to the most current and accurate information, making it a valuable resource for their studies.