Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this derivative Lipschitz?

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    Here is a tough one:

Say we have a multivariable function f:R^n -> R
    and for any x, and direction u, the function g:R->R defined as g(t)=f(x+tu) has that g'(t) is Lipschitz with the same Lipschitz constant (say M). For special cases, taking u to be any basis element we see that every partial restricted to the direction of its axis is Lipschitz

Can I then prove that the derivative Df(x) (or equivalently any partial derivative) is Lipschitz as well.

the 1-dimensional case is trivial:

|(Df(y)-Df(x))\cdot e_i| = |g'(y)-g'(x)|<M|y-x| Lipschitz. (g is defined above with x=0 and u=e_1)

It is the n>1 cases that poses a problem, because I find that if y-x is not parallel with e_i we run into problems.

I have been working on this problem for a while and find I am working in circles now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2
    You know sometimes people think that if partial derivatives exist, then the function would be differentiable, but that's not always true, because it can happen that the expression

[tex]
    \frac{f(x+tu) - f(x)}{t}
    [/tex]

has a limit when [itex]t\to 0[/itex] for all fixed [itex]u\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], but for some suitable differentiable function [itex]u(t)=a_1t + \frac{1}{2}a_2t^2 + \cdots[/itex], a limit of an expression

[tex]
    \frac{f(x+u(t)) - f(x)}{t}
    [/tex]

(if existing) does not agree with the partial derivative in direction [itex]a_1[/itex].

Perhaps a similar problem could ruin your hypothesis? There might exist a differentiable function, for which the derivatives in any fixed direction are always Lipschitz, but for which derivatives along some curves are not?

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

I know that the existence of partial derivatives does not guarantee a differentiable function.

I have been unable to construct a counter example, the condition that all those function have a uniform Lipschitz constant is a very strong condition.

Also, on the note of partial derivatives, it is true however that if all the partials are continuous that the function is differentiable (in fact it is [tex]C^1[/tex])

I guess I'll just think about this problem some more.

PS i read how to imbed latex into posts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook