Is this graph defined at x = 0?

• Thread starter PcumP_Ravenclaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the graph of the function (2^x - 1) / x does not have a spike at x = 0 because the limit as x approaches 0 is not infinity. The function itself is also considered undefined at x = 0 due to the "removable" discontinuity, but the limit exists at ln(2).
PcumP_Ravenclaw
Hello everyone,
Is the graph ## (2^x - 1) / x ## defined at x = 0?
When I plot this graph there is no spike at 0 because 0/0 is undefined? Is the computer unable to show this? I am finding the limit as x approaches 0. From the graph limit exits but does f(0) exist?

Sehr Danke.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
When I plot this graph there is no spike at 0 because 0/0 is undefined? Is the computer unable to show this?

The function f(x)=1/x is also undefined at x=0, but there's a spike in the graph of that function because the limit as x approaches 0 is infinity (or negative infinity if coming from the negative side of zero). There's no spike in (2x-1)/x because the limit as x approaches zero is not infinity.

I would say that it is not a question of the "graph" being defined but the function itself. [itex]f(x)= (2^x- 1)/x[/itex] is "not defined" because "0/0" does not correspond to a number. There is what is usually called a "removable" discontinuity at x= 0. "Removable" because the limit, as x goes to 0, of f(x) exists- it is ln(2). The function "[itex]g(x)= (2^x- 1)/x[/itex] if x is not 0, g(0)= ln(x)" is continuous for all x and is exactly the same as f for all x except 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can a graph be defined at x = 0?

Yes, a graph can be defined at x = 0 as long as there is a corresponding y-value for that x-value. However, the graph may not be continuous at x = 0.

2. How do you determine if a graph is defined at x = 0?

To determine if a graph is defined at x = 0, you need to check if there is a point at x = 0 on the graph. If there is a point, then the graph is defined at x = 0.

3. What is the significance of x = 0 in a graph?

The value of x = 0 is significant in a graph as it represents the y-intercept of the graph. It is the point where the graph crosses the y-axis.

4. Can the graph of a function have a vertical asymptote at x = 0?

Yes, the graph of a function can have a vertical asymptote at x = 0 if the function has a vertical asymptote at that point. This means that the function is undefined at x = 0.

5. Is it possible for a graph to be continuous at x = 0?

Yes, a graph can be continuous at x = 0 if the function is defined at that point and the limit of the function as x approaches 0 exists and is equal to the function's value at x = 0.