1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this graph defined at x = 0?

1. Dec 14, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,
    Is the graph ## (2^x - 1) / x ## defined at x = 0?
    When I plot this graph there is no spike at 0 because 0/0 is undefined? Is the computer unable to show this? I am finding the limit as x approaches 0. From the graph limit exits but does f(0) exist?

Sehr Danke.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The function f(x)=1/x is also undefined at x=0, but there's a spike in the graph of that function because the limit as x approaches 0 is infinity (or negative infinity if coming from the negative side of zero). There's no spike in (2x-1)/x because the limit as x approaches zero is not infinity.

4. Dec 14, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I would say that it is not a question of the "graph" being defined but the function itself. [itex]f(x)= (2^x- 1)/x[/itex] is "not defined" because "0/0" does not correspond to a number. There is what is usually called a "removable" discontinuity at x= 0. "Removable" because the limit, as x goes to 0, of f(x) exists- it is ln(2). The function "[itex]g(x)= (2^x- 1)/x[/itex] if x is not 0, g(0)= ln(x)" is continuous for all x and is exactly the same as f for all x except 0.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook