Is this impossible to solve due to lack of information

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question posted in a forum that cannot be solved due to missing information. However, the missing piece of information (Vout) is later found and the problem is solved. Part (b) of the problem involves calculating the duty cycle, which is 30%, and using that information to solve for Vin. The solution is shown and confirmed to be correct.
Enochfoul

Homework Statement

I came across this question in another forum and the members of the group said it can't be solved due to lack of information. Can anyone solve it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-07-08-51-07.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-07-08-51-07.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
I should have said 3b can't be solved

That question has been posted on this forum recently. I don't think it can be solved. Too many unknowns. I think the best you can do is calculate R2 as a function of Vin for 3b(i) but then you are stuck for (ii).

CWatters said:
I think the best you can do is calculate R2 as a function of Vin for 3b(i) but then you are stuck for (ii).
And for (ii) solve for VIN as a function of R2. :doh:

Where did this problem come from?
any chance a Vout value is given on a previous page?

If you had Vout you could get both as a function of Vout

donpacino said:
Where did this problem come from?
any chance a Vout value is given on a previous page?

If you had Vout you could get both as a function of Vout
Its an assignment question which I believe they have messed up on by omitting information.

Hi

The missing piece has been found Vout= 7.5V

Using the formula: Vout=Vref*(R1+R2/R2)

Vout=1.25(10+2/2) = 7.5

R2 must be 2 does that look right?

Last edited:
Enochfoul said:
Hi

The missing piece has been found Vout= 7.5V

Vout=1.25(10+2/2) = 7.5

R2 must be 2 does that look right?
looks good to me!

What happened to part (ii)? We await with bated breaths ...

rude man said:
What happened to part (ii)? We await with bated breaths ...
The problem stated had missing info. The Vout should have been 7.5V. Sorted it now thanks the lecturer missed it off by accident

Enochfoul said:
The problem stated had missing info. The Vout should have been 7.5V. Sorted it now thanks the lecturer missed it off by accident
Yes I know, and part (a) was I presume solved. But what about part (b)? It's still an interesting problem.

rude man said:
Yes I know, and part (a) was I presume solved. But what about part (b)? It's still an interesting problem.
D=Vout/Vin. There are 2 knowns in the question Duty Cycle which is 30% and Vout which is 7.5V. So Vout is 30% of Vin.

Im happy to show the solution for 3bi if you would like

In post #7:
Enochfoul said:
There seems to be some parens missing: Vout=Vref*((R1+R2)/R2)
Which reduces to the usually seen: Vout=Vref*(1+R1/R2)

Enochfoul said:
D=Vout/Vin. There are 2 knowns in the question Duty Cycle which is 30% and Vout which is 7.5V. So Vout is 30% of Vin.
The answer is correct. Good going.

1. Is it possible to solve a problem if there is not enough information?

It depends on the specific problem and the type of information that is missing. In some cases, it may be possible to make assumptions or use other methods to find a solution. However, in other cases, the lack of information may make it impossible to find a definite solution.

2. How can we determine if a problem is impossible to solve due to lack of information?

This can be determined by carefully analyzing the problem and identifying the key pieces of information that are needed to solve it. If those pieces of information are not available or cannot be estimated, it may not be possible to find a solution.

3. Can additional research or data collection help to solve a problem with insufficient information?

In some cases, yes, additional research or data collection can provide the missing information and make it possible to find a solution. However, in other cases, the missing information may be impossible to obtain, making the problem unsolvable.

4. What are some common types of problems that are impossible to solve due to lack of information?

These can include problems related to complex systems, unpredictable events, or unknown variables. For example, predicting the weather accurately more than a few days in advance is notoriously difficult due to the many factors involved and the limitations of current technology.

5. How can we approach a problem with insufficient information without wasting time and resources?

One approach is to carefully assess the available information and determine if there are any potential solutions or workarounds that may be feasible. If not, it may be more productive to redirect efforts towards finding new sources of information or tackling a different problem altogether.