Is this just a typo in Schutz' book on General Relativity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Ahmed1029
Messages
109
Reaction score
40
I'm wondering is I'm missing something, or this should be " a non-zero component"?
Screenshot_2022-12-06-19-25-32-84_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The book is correct. In the momentarily comoving inertial frame the time component of the four-acceleration is indeed 0.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: malawi_glenn and Ahmed1029
No, it means that in the MCRF the only non-zero component of ##\tilde{U}## is the zeroth one (because the three velocity is zero by definition in that frame). Hence the four acceleration (which he's just proved is orthogonal to ##\tilde{U}##) must take the form given.

I agree it's not particularly clearly written - it would be better if he'd said "##\tilde{U}## has only a ##{\tilde{U}}^0## component".
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SiennaTheGr8, vanhees71, Dale and 1 other person
Ah yes, it's clear now. I thought he meant that it had only one component taking the value zero, which didn't make sense.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and Ibix
I must say this isn't the only thing I've found confusing in Schutz. The physics is sound enough, but I do feel like he really needed a better editor.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and Ahmed1029