Is this proof of an ##\infty## norm valid?

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm Proof
In summary: Yes, exactly. That is the 'biggest' vector you can get with unit infinity-norm.So, now you have a vector ##x## with infinity-norm equal to 1. Can you find a matrix that will make ##||Ax||_{\infty}## as large as possible, and then use that to show that ##||A||_{\infty}=||Ax||_{\infty}##?Yes, exactly. That is the 'biggest' vector you can get with unit infinity-norm.So, now you have a vector ##x## with infinity-norm equal to 1. Can you find a matrix that will make ##||Ax||_{\infty}##
pyroknife
I am trying to prove
##||A||_{\infty} = max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##
which reads as the ##\infty## norm is the max row sum of matrix A.
##i## is the row index and ##j## is the column index.

Here is what I thought of:

##||A||_{\infty} = sup_{x\neq 0} \frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}##
The numerator can be written as:
##||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij} x_j| \leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|\ |x_j| \leq max_j |x_j| * max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| = ||x||_{\infty} * max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##
Therefore,
##||Ax||_{\infty} \leq ||x||_{\infty} * max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##
Next,
##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}} \leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##
Next,
the supremum is defined as the "least upper bound." Thus, the supremum of the above expression is simply the equal sign. Thus,
##||A||_{\infty} = max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##Do you guys see any flaws in this proof? I saw various other proofs that went on to prove that the "<" condition cannot exist, which is still correct, but I don't understand what the point is when you know that the supremum is the "LEAST" upper bound.

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
The numerator can be written as:
##||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij} x_j| \leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|\ |x_j| \leq max_j |x_j| * max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| = ||x||_{\infty} * max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##
The first equality is incorrect. However, it's fixable. Replace
$$||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij} x_j|$$
by
$$||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i \left\vert \sum_{j} a_{ij} x_j\right\vert\leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij} x_j|$$
I haven't looked through the rest yet. Will do that a bit later, but have to run off now.

andrewkirk said:
The first equality is incorrect. However, it's fixable. Replace
$$||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij} x_j|$$
by
$$||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i \left\vert \sum_{j} a_{ij} x_j\right\vert\leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij} x_j|$$
I haven't looked through the rest yet. Will do that a bit later, but have to run off now.
Ah yes! Thanks. that is a typo, but the rest of the proof did not carry over that typo.

pyroknife said:
Next,
the supremum is defined as the "least upper bound."
That is correct.
Thus, the supremum of the above expression is simply the equal sign.
I'm afraid that doesn't make sense. A supremum is a number. An equals sign is not. Nor can I see any way of interpreting this statement to make it both meaningful and correct.

What you have proven (it needs a couple more steps added in, but you're close enough) is that
$$||A||_{\infty} \leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|$$
Now you need to prove that
$$ ||A||_{\infty} \geq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|$$

Hint, use the definition of the infinity norm, and consider only vectors ##x## of norm 1. What's the biggest value of ##\|Ax\|_\infty## you can get given that ##x## has norm 1?

andrewkirk said:
That is correct.

I'm afraid that doesn't make sense. A supremum is a number. An equals sign is not. Nor can I see any way of interpreting this statement to make it both meaningful and correct.

What you have proven (it needs a couple more steps added in, but you're close enough) is that

Hint, use the definition of the infinity norm, and consider only vectors ##x## of norm 1. What's the biggest value of ##\|Ax\|_\infty## you can get given that ##x## has norm 1?
This is the part where I got stuck on.

I am not sure if it was the way I worded it, but I mean to say the supremum is the condition given by the equal sign, since it would be the "lowest" "upper" bound. Does that still not make sense?

I was influenced by an answer to another thread I made where I made a hypothetical example:
##x\leq y##
sup(x) = y

so carried over to the current problem, wouldn't that make it the condition given by the equal sign?

i.e., ##sup_{x\neq 0} \frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}} = max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##

since we know the least upper bound of ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}## is ##max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##

Since we know ##||A||_{\infty}## is an upper bound for ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}##, to prove it's a least upper bound, all that's needed is to find a vector ##x## for which ##||A||_{\infty}=\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}##.

This is equivalent to finding a vector ##x## with unit infinity-norm, such that ##||A||_{\infty}=||Ax||_{\infty}##.
Can you think of such a unit vector? Since you want to make the vector as 'big' as possible, what's the 'biggest' vector you can think of that has unit infinity-norm (start by thinking of 'big' as meaning the size of the usual norm on ##\mathbb{R}^n##).

andrewkirk said:
Since we know ##||A||_{\infty}## is an upper bound for ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}##, to prove it's a least upper bound, all that's needed is to find a vector ##x## for which ##||A||_{\infty}=\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}##.

This is equivalent to finding a vector ##x## with unit infinity-norm, such that ##||A||_{\infty}=||Ax||_{\infty}##.
Can you think of such a unit vector? Since you want to make the vector as 'big' as possible, what's the 'biggest' vector you can think of that has unit infinity-norm (start by thinking of 'big' as meaning the size of the usual norm on ##\mathbb{R}^n##).
Thank you. I think I know what I was missing. I basically used the end result to arrive st the end result which doesn't make much sense, since I am to prove the end result.

Are you saying x has to be a unit vector with an infinity norm equal to 1?
If so wouldn't that just be a vector with all zero elements except for one element which is 1?

pyroknife said:
Are you saying x has to be a unit vector with an infinity norm equal to 1?
If so wouldn't that just be a vector with all zero elements except for one element which is 1?
'UNit vector' just means a vector with norm equal to 1. Since all the norms being used here are infinity norms, that means a vector ##x## such that ##\|x\|_\infty=1##, which in turn means a vector for which the largest absolute value of any of its components is 1. For example, if ##n=3##, then (1 0 0), (1 1 0), (0 1 0), (0 -1 1), (1 1 1), (1 -1 1), (0.5 0 1), (0.5 -0.5 -1) are all unit vectors.

What I'm suggesting in my post is that you consider which of the vectors like this have the largest 2-norm, where the 2-norm of vector ##x## is the 'usual' (not infinity) norm calculation ##\|x\|_2\equiv\left(\sum_{k=1}^n x_k{}^2\right)^\tfrac{1}{2}##.

Likes pyroknife
andrewkirk said:
'UNit vector' just means a vector with norm equal to 1. Since all the norms being used here are infinity norms, that means a vector ##x## such that ##\|x\|_\infty=1##, which in turn means a vector for which the largest absolute value of any of its components is 1. For example, if ##n=3##, then (1 0 0), (1 1 0), (0 1 0), (0 -1 1), (1 1 1), (1 -1 1), (0.5 0 1), (0.5 -0.5 -1) are all unit vectors.

What I'm suggesting in my post is that you consider which of the vectors like this have the largest 2-norm, where the 2-norm of vector ##x## is the 'usual' (not infinity) norm calculation ##\|x\|_2\equiv\left(\sum_{k=1}^n x_k{}^2\right)^\tfrac{1}{2}##.
Oh I see.
Largest 2-norm would be (1,1,1), (-1, -1, -1), and so on.

So ##||x||_{\infty} = 1##
and
##||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i |\sum_{j} a_{ij}|##

is this the idea?

andrewkirk said:
Yes, that's it! :smile:
Thanks. Dumb question, but I am not seeing how this proves the infinite norm of a matrix.
I just showed ##||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i |\sum_j a_{ij}|##
but I am unsure how this relates to
##||A_{\infty}||##

I think I'm missing a simple connection here.

In particular, I am not understanding why we looked for a vector with a unit infinity norm that maximizes the 2-norm.

I am not understanding why we looked for a vector with a unit infinity norm that maximizes the 2-norm.

Above it was shown that, for all vectors ##x##, we have
$$\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}} \leq \max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| $$
So ##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|## is an upper bound for ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}## over ##x##.
You have just identified a value of ##x##, namely ##x'\equiv (1 1 1)##, for which ##\frac{||Ax'||_{\infty}}{||x'||_{\infty}} = \max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##.

What does that tell you about whether there can be an upper bound ##u## for ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}## that is less than ##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##?

And what does that then tell you about what sort of an upper bound ##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|## is?

andrewkirk said:
Above it was shown that, for all vectors ##x##, we have
$$\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}} \leq \max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| $$
So ##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|## is an upper bound for ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}## over ##x##.
You have just identified a value of ##x##, namely ##x'\equiv (1 1 1)##, for which ##\frac{||Ax'||_{\infty}}{||x'||_{\infty}} = \max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##.

What does that tell you about whether there can be an upper bound ##u## for ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}## that is less than ##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##?

And what does that then tell you about what sort of an upper bound ##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|## is?
So I'm thinking, what if we have:
##
A = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1\\
1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##

and ##
x =
\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
\end{bmatrix}##

We can see that ##||Ax||_{\infty} = 1## and ##||x||_{\infty} = 1##
thus ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}= 1##
but
##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| = 2##
so the equality doesn't hold?

##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| ## would always be greater or equal to ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}## for all ##x##

pyroknife said:
##\max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| ## would always be greater or equal to ##\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}}## for all ##x##
Yes, but that doesn't advance the proof at all, as you already proved that in the OP. The missing piece is to show that it's a least upper bound, not just any old upper bound. Focus on the two questions at the end of my post #15.

andrewkirk said:
Yes, but that doesn't advance the proof at all, as you already proved that in the OP. The missing piece is to show that it's a least upper bound, not just any old upper bound. Focus on the two questions at the end of my post #15.
For the first question:
There can't be an upper bound ##u## less than ##\max_i \sum_j |a_{ij}|## Anything lower wouldn't be considered an "upper" bound.
For the second question:
Since anything lower is a no longer an "upper" bound, ##\max_i \sum_j |a_{ij}|## is simply the "least" upper bound.

I think these are the missing piece? I still don't understand why we picked a unit vector with an infinity norm = 1 and a maximum 2-norm.
andrewkirk said:
That is correct.

Also, for this post, how does the past previous posts prove that $$ ||A||_{\infty} \geq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|$$?

They don't. That's (equivalent to) the extra bit that you have to prove. See post 15 for hints on how to prove that.

andrewkirk said:
They don't. That's (equivalent to) the extra bit that you have to prove. See post 15 for hints on how to prove that.
So carrying on we have shown that for
##x'\equiv (1 1 1)##, ##\frac{||Ax'||_{\infty}}{||x'||_{\infty}} = \max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}|##.
The next statement can be

So in one line:
##||Ax||_{\infty} = sup_{x\neq 0}\frac{||Ax||_{\infty}}{||x||_{\infty}} \leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij}| = \frac{||Ax'||_{\infty}}{||x'||_{\infty}} \leq ||Ax||_{\infty}##

Related to Is this proof of an ##\infty## norm valid?

1. What is an infinity norm?

An infinity norm, also known as a maximum norm or supremum norm, is a type of mathematical norm used to measure the magnitude of a vector or function. It is defined as the maximum absolute value of the elements in the vector or function.

2. How is an infinity norm calculated?

The infinity norm of a vector is calculated by finding the maximum absolute value of its elements. For a function, it is calculated by finding the maximum absolute value of the function's output over its entire domain.

3. What is the purpose of using an infinity norm?

The infinity norm is useful in many mathematical applications, such as optimization and functional analysis, as it provides a measure of the largest possible error or distance between two vectors or functions.

4. Is an infinity norm valid for all types of vectors and functions?

Yes, the infinity norm can be applied to all types of vectors and functions, including complex valued ones. However, it may not always be the most appropriate norm to use, depending on the specific application or problem.

5. How is an infinity norm related to other types of norms?

The infinity norm is a special case of the ##L^p## norm, where ##p## approaches infinity. It is also equivalent to the ##\ell^\infty## norm in finite dimensional vector spaces. Additionally, the infinity norm can be used to define a metric or distance function in some spaces.