1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this really plasma?

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1

I saw this video and several others like it, all claiming that the glowing substance created in the microwave is indeed plasma. To my (limited) knowledge on the subject, plasma is just an ionized/electrified gas. However, others say that there is no way the substance could be plasma, as real plasma would be millions of degrees and melt straight through the glass and microwave.

Is the substance created in the microwave real plasma? And if not, what exactly IS it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    I think that misconception comes from the idea of nuclear fusion using a confined plasma.

The plasma state only requires kT be high enough to remove electrons from a significant fraction of atoms or molecules in the gas, not shatter (or fuse) nuclei.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook