Is There a Fifth Fundamental Force in Physics?

• Thread starter cubey
  • Start date
In summary, there are only four fundamental forces in nature: the Electromagnetic Force, the Weak Nuclear Force, the Strong Nuclear Force, and Gravity. Whether or not this is the appropriate forum to discuss this topic is a matter of opinion and can be argued from different perspectives. It is important to note that any general scientific principle statement is always subject to the consensus of the scientific community. While some theories, such as inflation and lambda CDM, may support the idea of combining forces, it may not be applicable to all cases, such as the electroweak or GG models. Ultimately, these theories aim to combine forces rather than introduce new ones.
cubey
There are only 4, the Electromagnetic Force, the Weak Nuclear Force,the Strong Nuclear Force and Gravity.
And if you yes or no please explain why.
I'm not sure if this is the proper place in this forum or even if this is the proper forum to ask this question,but I'll give it try.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a matter of opinion, I'd call it more semantic than dogmatic... but either one could be easily argued for.

I think it should be taken for granted that any general scientific principle statement always carries the caveat: 'it is the consensus of the scientific community that...'

russ_watters said:
I think it should be taken for granted that any general scientific principle statement always carries the caveat: 'it is the consensus of the scientific community that...'
While that is certainly true (e.g. inflation, lambda CDM, double compact binaries for shGRBs, etc), its not especially apt for this case in light of electroweak or the GG model, etc.

zhermes said:
While that is certainly true (e.g. inflation, lambda CDM, double compact binaries for shGRBs, etc), its not especially apt for this case in light of electroweak or the GG model, etc.
Those combine two forces into one theory,they don't add a new force.

Hey! No fair delteting a post while I am reading it!

cubey said:
There are only 4...

HallsofIvy said:
Those combine two forces into one theory,they don't add a new force.

Yes. That is true. (Well, GG goes 3 -> 1).

FAQ: Is There a Fifth Fundamental Force in Physics?

1. What does it mean for a statement to be dogmatic?

A dogmatic statement is one that is presented as an absolute truth without any room for discussion or differing opinions. It is often seen as rigid and close-minded.

2. How do you determine if a statement is dogmatic?

A statement can be considered dogmatic if it is presented as an unquestionable truth and the person making the statement is not open to considering alternative perspectives or evidence.

3. Can a statement be both true and dogmatic?

Yes, a statement can be true but still be considered dogmatic if it is presented as an absolute truth without acknowledging any potential flaws or alternative viewpoints.

4. Is dogmatism always a negative thing?

Dogmatism can be seen as a negative trait because it often closes off the possibility for growth and learning. However, in certain situations, such as in scientific research, being firm in one's beliefs can be necessary for progress.

5. How can we avoid being dogmatic in our statements?

To avoid being dogmatic, it is important to remain open-minded and willing to consider alternative perspectives and evidence. It is also helpful to use language that acknowledges the possibility of being wrong and to be open to changing one's beliefs based on new information.