Is Time Emerging? Physicists' Experiments & Many-Worlds Interpretation

• B
  • Thread starter TheQuestionGuy14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Sean Carroll's post is speculative and does not provide any evidence that time is emerging from quantum entanglement.
TheQuestionGuy14
I saw a post recently which said that time is an emerging phenomenon from quantum entanglement, physicists conducted an experiment which shows that time is static for an outside observer of the universe and only flows due to entanglement for inside observers. Does this imply that if entanglement didn't exist, time wouldn't? However, physicist Ron Maimon stated that this experiment is "It's press nonsense. It's "quantum collapse" and "measurement" emerging from entanglement, i.e. many-worlds interpretation"

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxi...w-time-emerges-from-entanglement-d5d3dc850933

Sean Carroll has a post which talks of spacetime being emerging too.

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2016/07/18/space-emerging-from-quantum-mechanics/

Physics news on Phys.org
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
I saw a post recently which said that time is an emerging phenomenon from quantum entanglement, physicists conducted an experiment which shows that time is static for an outside observer of the universe...
I think that automatically doesn't make any sense since there IS no such thing as "an outside observer".

Sean Carroll has a post which talks of spacetime being emerging too.
Which, as he states, is entirely speculative.

The research is legitimate enough to have been published in Phys. Rev. A:
E. Moreva et al., Time from quantum entanglement: An experimental illustration, Phys. Rev. A 89, 052122 (2014). Preprint.

It appears to our own @Demystifier has cited this paper in one of his articles (to which I unfortunately don't have access).

DrClaude said:
has cited this paper in one of his articles (to which I unfortunately don't have access).
It's on Arxiv but it's just mentioned in passing.
(For related approaches, not directly referring to many worlds, see also [45, 46, 47, 48].)

Likes Demystifier
Likes Demystifier, Dale, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person

1. What is the Many-Worlds interpretation of time?

The Many-Worlds interpretation suggests that time is constantly branching into multiple parallel universes, each representing a different possible outcome or reality. This theory challenges the commonly held belief that time is a linear, single-directional phenomenon.

2. How do physicists conduct experiments to test the concept of time emergence?

Physicists use various techniques such as quantum entanglement, particle accelerators, and time dilation experiments to explore the nature of time and its potential emergence. These experiments often involve observing and measuring the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with time.

3. What evidence supports the idea of time emergence?

One piece of evidence comes from the theory of relativity, which suggests that time is not an absolute concept but is instead relative to an observer's frame of reference. This suggests that time may not be a fundamental aspect of the universe, but rather an emergent property.

4. How does the concept of time emergence relate to the concept of free will?

If time is an emergent phenomenon, it raises questions about the existence of free will. Some argue that if time is predetermined or constantly branching into parallel universes, then our actions and choices may also be predetermined. Others argue that the concept of free will may still exist within an emergent time framework.

5. What are some potential implications of the Many-Worlds interpretation and time emergence?

If the Many-Worlds interpretation and time emergence are proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have implications for fields such as philosophy, psychology, and even ethics, as it challenges traditional notions of causality and determinism.