Is time still undoubtedly continuous?

In summary, quantum mechanics suggests that time comes in "packets" of size equal to the Planck time (10^-43 seconds). This theory is still in its early stages and is currently speculative.
Smiles302
When you combine general relativity and quantum mechanics theory, does time become quantised?

Or are there any theories where this is a possibility?

We're doing both special relativity and quantum mechanics at the moment, in different modules, both lecturers make passing references to the more advanced bits and pieces then tell us not to think about it too much.

While leaving me unable to think about much else. :smile:

So is time always continuous as Newton imagined? Or are there some theories where it no longer is?

(Even if you think the theory is useless/pointless, once it makes some sort of mathematical sense, I'd like to attempt to read about it)

Physics news on Phys.org
Time is continuous, that is an assumption in stating that it has a continuous derivative (i think).

Time is not, however, absolute.

Time isn't "undoubtedly" anything; there is not yet a scientific consensus on how to unite general relativity with quantum mechanics. The modern presentation of quantum electrodynamics regards time as continuous, but it isn't compatible with general relativity. The string theories assume that time is continuous. Spin-foam based theories like loop quantum gravity quantize spacetime. We don't have proof either way, so at present the continuity of time is an open question.

Quantum mechanics suggest that time comes in "packets" of size equal to the Planck time (10^-43 seconds). Thus, the smallest increment of time, according to this theory, is 10^-43 seconds.

Did not know that thanks for the info.

Could anyone point me towards something describing the quantization of time?

Quantum mechanics suggest that time comes in "packets" of size equal to the Planck time (10^-43 seconds).

Careful, there. While it's true that quantum mechanics is named after 'quantization,' it isn't quite true that everything is quantized. Mr. Khemist got it right three posts back when he remarked that the standard formulation of quantum mechanics requires you to be able to take a derivative with respect to time, and you can't do that unless time is continuous. Loop quantum gravity and the other spin-foam theories do "quantize" time by making a little mesh of interconnected points of spacetime, but at this time such models are speculative. Standard, run-of-the-mill quantum mechanics still requires continuous time.

Penn.6-5000 said:
Loop quantum gravity and the other spin-foam theories do "quantize" time by making a little mesh of interconnected points of spacetime, but at this time such models are speculative.

Does that imply that the space itself is quantized in those theories?

Penn.6-5000 said:
Careful, there. While it's true that quantum mechanics is named after 'quantization,' it isn't quite true that everything is quantized. Mr. Khemist got it right three posts back when he remarked that the standard formulation of quantum mechanics requires you to be able to take a derivative with respect to time, and you can't do that unless time is continuous. Loop quantum gravity and the other spin-foam theories do "quantize" time by making a little mesh of interconnected points of spacetime, but at this time such models are speculative. Standard, run-of-the-mill quantum mechanics still requires continuous time.
OK, thanks for the viewpoint. I recall a journal article I read on quantum cosmology that concluded the probability of finding the initial early universe at a time less than the Planck time was zero. This got me thinking time was only provided by nature in increments of the Planck time. I am totally open minded to this stuff.

Ooo thanks everyone! =D I am going to do some reading on Loop Quantum Gravity then.

Penn.6-5000 said:
the standard formulation of quantum mechanics requires you to be able to take a derivative with respect to time, and you can't do that unless time is continuous.

you can't find dx/dt if time isn't continuous but you can perfectly well find Δx/Δt

I always assumed discrete calculus allowed for finding the dx/dt where x and t don't need to be continues.
I've never taken it as a module. It just would have been one of my options had I kept up maths.

Related to Is time still undoubtedly continuous?

1. Is time really continuous or is it just a human construct?

There is still debate among scientists about the true nature of time. Some argue that it is a fundamental property of the universe and exists independently of human perception. Others argue that it is a construct created by our brains to make sense of the world around us. Currently, there is no definitive answer to this question.

2. Can time be divided into smaller and smaller units infinitely?

According to the theory of relativity, time can be divided into smaller units, but there is a limit to how small these units can be. This limit is known as the Planck time, which is approximately 10^-43 seconds. Beyond this point, the concept of time breaks down and the laws of physics as we know them no longer apply.

3. Does time always move at a constant rate?

In our everyday experience, time appears to move at a constant rate. However, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time can actually be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time can appear to pass faster or slower depending on these variables.

4. Is time the same everywhere in the universe?

According to the theory of relativity, time can be affected by the presence of mass and energy. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates in different parts of the universe. Additionally, the expansion of the universe can also affect the passage of time.

5. Can time travel ever be possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or theory that supports the possibility of time travel. However, some theories, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time travel may be possible under certain conditions. Further research and technological advancements are needed to fully understand the potential for time travel.