Is VI=P strictly an ohmic relation

• Thread starter hover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the equation VI=P predicts power for any given circuit, not just resistors, and it works for both ohmic and non-ohmic devices such as light bulbs. However, for circuits with reactive devices like inductors and capacitors, the equation is extended to include complex impedances.
hover
Is VI=P strictly an ohmic relation or does it apply to all types of circuits?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

hover said:
Is VI=P strictly an ohmic relation or does it apply to all types of circuits?

Thanks

What is the context of the question?

berkeman said:
What is the context of the question?

I'm just wondering if this equation predicts the power for any given circuit. Not just resistors but light bulbs and things that aren't Ohmic in nature.

I want to know if a light bulb given a certain voltage and current will have VI=P power even thought the lighbulb isn't ohmic.

power = volts x current is true at any point in time. Various components will affect how the power varies over time.

So it doesn't matter whether the device is ohmic or not?

hover said:
So it doesn't matter whether the device is ohmic or not?

What do you mean by "ohmic"? Do you mean a power factor = 1?

berkeman said:
What do you mean by "ohmic"? Do you mean a power factor = 1?

I mean does the object have to follow ohms law V=IR?

hover said:
I mean does the object have to follow ohms law V=IR?

I'm not trying to be dense here, but I'm still not quite understanding. Do you mean where "R" is not a complex impedance? Could you please give an example of something that doesn't "follow Ohm's Law"? Thanks.

berkeman said:
I'm not trying to be dense here, but I'm still not quite understanding. Do you mean where "R" is not a complex impedance? Could you please give an example of something that doesn't "follow Ohm's Law"? Thanks.

Something like a light bulb. As the voltage increases, the resistance the lightbulb has isn't linear.

hover said:
Something like a light bulb. As the voltage increases, the resistance the lightbulb has isn't linear.

Ah. The resistance of the filimant varies with temperature (this is true of most conductors BTW). It doesn't vary with voltage, per se. A higher voltage causes a larger current to flow, which heats up the filament more, which changes its resistance. V=IR is true at any moment in time, even during the transients like at turn on or if you increase the voltage once the bulb is on.

Do you have another example of what you would consider non-Ohmic?

berkeman said:
Ah. The resistance of the filimant varies with temperature (this is true of most conductors BTW). It doesn't vary with voltage, per se. A higher voltage causes a larger current to flow, which heats up the filament more, which changes its resistance. V=IR is true at any moment in time, even during the transients like at turn on or if you increase the voltage once the bulb is on.

Do you have another example of what you would consider non-Ohmic?

That was basically it. So I'm guessing that VI=R does work for something like a light bulb right?

hover said:
That was basically it. So I'm guessing that VI=R does work for something like a light bulb right?

Yes, absolutely.

For circuits that have reactive devices like inductors and capacitors, the simple linear V=IR Ohm's Law equation is extended to include complex impedances. The equation still works, but "R" --> Z where Z is a complex number.

berkeman said:
Yes, absolutely.

For circuits that have reactive devices like inductors and capacitors, the simple linear V=IR Ohm's Law equation is extended to include complex impedances. The equation still works, but "R" --> Z where Z is a complex number.

Good! That clears everything up. Thanks! :)

1. What is an ohmic relation?

An ohmic relation refers to the relationship between voltage (V) and current (I) in a circuit, where the current is directly proportional to the voltage. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases in a linear manner.

2. What is the difference between ohmic and non-ohmic relations?

An ohmic relation follows Ohm's Law, where the resistance remains constant and the current is directly proportional to the voltage. In a non-ohmic relation, the resistance changes with the voltage, resulting in a non-linear relationship between voltage and current.

3. Is VI=P strictly an ohmic relation for all materials?

No, VI=P is not strictly an ohmic relation for all materials. Some materials, such as semiconductors, have non-linear relationships between voltage and current due to their varying resistance at different voltages.

4. How do you determine if a material follows an ohmic relation?

To determine if a material follows an ohmic relation, you can plot a graph of voltage versus current. If the graph is a straight line passing through the origin, then the material follows an ohmic relation. If the graph is curved, then the material has a non-ohmic behavior.

5. Why is it important to understand ohmic and non-ohmic relations?

Understanding ohmic and non-ohmic relations is important in designing and analyzing electronic circuits. Ohmic materials are used to control the flow of current in a circuit, while non-ohmic materials can be used to create specific effects, such as diodes and transistors. It is also important to understand these relationships in order to troubleshoot and solve problems in circuits.