Is y = (1 - sin x)^{-1/2} an Explicit Solution of 2y' = y^3 cos x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
KillerZ
Messages
116
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Verify that the indicated function [tex]y = \Phi(x)[/tex] is an explicit solution of the given first-order differential equation. Give at least one interval I of definition.


Homework Equations



[tex]2y^{'} = y^{3}cos x[/tex]
[tex]y = (1 - sin x)^{-1/2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I think I did the first part right but I am not sure about the interval I of definition.

[tex]y^{'} = -\frac{1}{2}(1 - sin x)^{-3/2}(- cos x)[/tex]

Left hand side:
[tex]2y^{'} = 2(-\frac{1}{2}(1 - sin x)^{-3/2}(- cos x))[/tex]
[tex]= -(1 - sin x)^{-3/2}(- cos x)[/tex]
[tex]= (1 - sin x)^{-3/2}(cos x)[/tex]

Right hand side:
[tex]y^{3}cos x = ((1 - sin x)^{-1/2})^{3}(cos x)[/tex]
[tex]= (1 - sin x)^{-3/2}(cos x)[/tex]

Therefore [tex]y = (1 - sin x)^{-1/2}[/tex] is a solution.

[tex]I = (-\infty, \pi/2)[/tex] or [tex](\pi/2, \infty)[/tex] is the interval I of definition.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you have noted that sin(x) can't be 1. But x = pi/2 isn't the only place that happens. You only have to give an interval and it will have to be shorter.
 
Something like this?

[tex]I = (-3\pi/2, \pi/2)[/tex] or [tex](\pi/2, 2\pi/4)[/tex]
 
Yes and no. You must have a typo in the second one.
 
Yes its:
[tex]I = (-3\pi/2, \pi/2)[/tex] or [tex](\pi/2, 5\pi/2)[/tex]

Thank You