Isn't this spooky variable a problem?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary: Just make sure the energy is conserved, that's all.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work in thermodynamics and how it relates to variables in a system. The participants question whether there could be more work done and if there are any undefined variables that could affect entropy. They also consider the implications of adding another variable to the equation and whether it would contradict existing formulas. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of identifying all relevant variables in a system and ensuring that energy is conserved.
nonequilibrium
So in my first four chapters of Thermo we basically said U(S,V,N), same old, same old, all work was purely volumetric.

Now in chapter five we discuss H, F, G and for example, delta(G) basically tells you how much work is still available in the process after deducting the required volumetric work on the environment and the required heat. But... can we say 'there can be more work done'? There aren't any other variables in our system! Some undefined variable out there can just take our work? How do I know my entropy, for example, is not dependent on that variable that suddenly exists? This doesn't seem kosher, does it?

EDIT: for example, dE = TdS - PdV was derived in the assumption there is no other work possible than volumetric work. So you even lose the fundamental identity... Are all these things just ignored? Is my book just bad? Am I overlooking something?...

EDIT2: Well to fix that I suppose you can implicitly assume [tex]dE = TdS - PdV + XdY[/tex], but that would also imply S is dependent of Y. But what if we already deduced a formula for S independent of Y, isn't that in contradiction with [tex]\left( \frac{dS}{dY} \right)_{E,V} = - \frac{X}{T}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't analyzed the question deeply, but I think this might help for a start:
You indeed need to add XdY. In fact, it is your job to first identify all required variables X/Y. Once these variables are kept at given values, the allowed states must be unique! That's how you know if you are done finding all variables. The energy of this state is what is called "heat". It can be a set of states transforming into each other, but they may not have separate subgroups for the dynamics.

but that would also imply S is dependent of Y
No, it doesn't. One of the variables depends on all the other independent variables, but it is your choice which ones to take as independent.

1. Isn't this spooky variable a problem?

It depends on the context. Some variables may seem unusual or unexpected, but they could still be valid and relevant to the research question. It is important to thoroughly evaluate and understand the role of each variable in the study.

2. How do I know if a spooky variable is affecting my results?

The best way to determine if a variable is affecting your results is to conduct a thorough statistical analysis. This will allow you to identify any significant relationships between variables and determine if any spooky variables are having a significant impact.

3. Should I remove spooky variables from my study?

Only remove variables from your study if they are irrelevant to the research question or if they are causing significant bias in the results. Otherwise, it is important to include all relevant variables in order to have a comprehensive understanding of the topic.

4. How can I address the presence of spooky variables in my research?

One way to address spooky variables is to include them as control variables in the analysis. This allows you to account for their influence and isolate the effects of other variables on the outcome. Additionally, it may be helpful to gather more data or use a different study design to further explore the relationship between the spooky variable and the outcome.

5. Can spooky variables be beneficial to a study?

Yes, spooky variables can sometimes provide unexpected insights or reveal new connections between variables. They may also serve as important control variables or moderators in the analysis. However, it is important to thoroughly evaluate and understand the role of the spooky variable in the study to ensure its validity and relevance.