Isolated singularity (complex analysis)

In summary, the first problem involves finding the isolated singularity of the function \frac{e^{z}-1}{z} and determining its type, which can be solved by finding the Taylor series of e^z and dividing it by z, resulting in a value of 1 at z=0. The second problem requires finding the Laurent series of \frac{1}{1 - cos(z)} about the point z_0=0 and also calculating the residue of the function at that point, which can be simplified by multiplying the numerator and denominator by 1+cos(z).
Sartre

Homework Statement

1) [tex]\frac{e^{z}-1}{z}[/tex]

Locate the isolated singularity of the function and tell what kind of singularity it is.

2) [tex]\frac{1}{1 - cos(z)}[/tex]

z_0 = 0

find the laurant series for the given function about the indicated point. Also, give the residue of the function at the point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I thought that it first was a removable singularity. Because of only z in the denominator. But I don't get why the value at 0 is 1 ? I attempted to use g(z) = z, calculate with H(z)/(z - z_0) But that didn't help me in the understanding of the question. So my question really is how do you know what the value is at the 0. And how do you calculate the singularity with more rigour!

2) First thing I saw was [tex]\frac{1}{1 - z}[/tex] and that is [tex]e^{z}[/tex]
But then I thought that maybe you take the taylor expansion of cos z and [tex]e^{z}[/tex] and multiply them. But from there it went downhill :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sartre said:

Homework Statement

1) [tex]\frac{e^{z}-1}{z}[/tex]

Locate the isolated singularity of the function and tell what kind of singularity it is.

2) [tex]\frac{1}{1 - cos(z)}[/tex]

z_0 = 0

find the laurant series for the given function about the indicated point. Also, give the residue of the function at the point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I thought that it first was a removable singularity. Because of only z in the denominator. But I don't get why the value at 0 is 1 ? I attempted to use g(z) = z, calculate with H(z)/(z - z_0) But that didn't help me in the understanding of the question. So my question really is how do you know what the value is at the 0. And how do you calculate the singularity with more rigour!
What is the Taylor's series, about 0, for ez? Subtract 1 from the Taylor's series and then divide by z. What is the value of that when z= 0?

2) First thing I saw was [tex]\frac{1}{1 - z}[/tex] and that is [tex]e^{z}[/tex]
I don't understand this at all! In what sense is [tex]\frac{1}{1 - z}[/tex] the same as ez?

But then I thought that maybe you take the taylor expansion of cos z and [tex]e^{z}[/tex] and multiply them. But from there it went downhill :confused:
You're confusing me! There is no ez in problem 2!

If you multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]1+ cos(z)[/itex] you get
[tex]\frac{1+ cos(z)}{sin^2(z)}[/itex]
You might find that simpler to work with.

Hallsofivy: first of all, thanks for the quick response! I am very grateful for this :smile:

on problem #1; isn't the taylor series [tex]e^{z}[/tex] for [tex]\frac{z^{n}}{n!}[/tex]?

then you get z + [tex]\frac{z^{2}}{2!}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{z^{3}}{3!}[/tex] + ... + [tex]\frac{z^{n}}{n!}[/tex] so if you divide by z you get 1 + z + [tex]\frac{z^{2}}{2!}[/tex] with all of the z:s being zero and a 1 left! thanks for that one, when you explained, it became rather straightforward.

on problem #2: I thought that [tex]e^{z}[/tex] equals [tex]\frac{1}{1 - z}[/tex] because if you take the taylor series to the limit it becomes that. But it was apparently wrong. And getting to know that is rather nice. And maybe I should just get the [tex]e^{z}[/tex] thinking out of this problem. I will come back to you with my solution on this problem tomorrow.

1. What is an isolated singularity in complex analysis?

An isolated singularity is a point in the complex plane where a function is not defined or is undefined. It is surrounded by points where the function is defined and has a finite value. This type of singularity can occur when the function has a pole, essential singularity, or removable singularity at that point.

2. How do you determine the type of isolated singularity a function has?

The type of isolated singularity can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the function near that point. A pole occurs when the function has a vertical asymptote, an essential singularity occurs when the function has an infinite number of oscillations, and a removable singularity occurs when the function can be continuously extended to include that point.

3. What is the significance of isolated singularities in complex analysis?

Isolated singularities play a crucial role in the study of complex analysis as they can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function. They can help determine the convergence of power series, evaluate complex integrals, and classify the properties of a function such as its analyticity and differentiability.

4. Can an isolated singularity be removed?

Yes, a removable singularity can be removed by defining the function at that point to make it continuous. This means that the limit of the function as it approaches the singularity can be defined and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. How are isolated singularities related to the concept of analyticity?

Analyticity is a property of a function that means it can be represented by a convergent power series. Isolated singularities can affect the analyticity of a function, as certain types of singularities, such as poles, can cause a function to be non-analytic at that point. Therefore, the presence of isolated singularities can impact the behavior and properties of an analytic function.