Analyzing the Singularity of f(z) = z cos(1/z) Using Solutions to f(z) = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the term "essential singularity" and whether or not it is necessary for a singularity to be isolated in order to be considered essential. The conversation also discusses the theorem "Isolated zeros theorem" and how it can be used to show that a singularity at z=0 is not isolated.
Gwinterz
OP warned about not using the homework template
Hey,

I have been asked to show that z = 0 is not a removable singularity of:

f(z) = z cos(1/z)

The catch is, I have to show this by first finding all the solutions to the equation (f(z) = 0) then use them to show that the singularity is not removable.

The only relevant theorem I can find is the "Isolated zeros theorem", but that is related to showing a function is analytic, I am not sure how it could apply hear.

Is there a theorem which links the solutions to an equation to the singularities of the equation?

I noticed that the solutions to cos(1/z) tend to zero as 'k' tends to infinity, but I am not sure if that is useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that there is an extension, e(z), of the function that is analytic at z=0. Then can you find a set of zero points of e(z) that have a cluster point at z=0? Then what would the isolated zeros theorem tell you?

Likes Gwinterz
It would tell me that the function is not analytic at the point z = 0, as there is more than one zero.

Is that right?

Does that mean that the singularity is not isolated?

Gwinterz said:
It would tell me that the function is not analytic at the point z = 0, as there is more than one zero.
Not just more than one, there are infinitely many around z=0. The only analytic function with that property is the constant function, f(z)=0.

Likes Gwinterz
So because the only analytic function is f(z) = 0, does that mean our f(z) can't be analytic? Then since it isn't analytic, it breaks the definition of an isolated singularity?

For a homework exersize, you should work out the details and complete the proof. I think you have gotten enough hints to complete it rigorously.

Likes Gwinterz
My problem is with the details, I think once I understand the idea I can begin to formulate the proof.

At the moment I really don't see the relationship between the solutions and the singularity.

These questions are really tough for me and I waste so much time trying to figure out what set of theorems to apply then realizing it doesn't work.

I get that the solutions tend to zero and that there is a consequence to that. But I don't understand the relevance of f(x) = 0. Was what I said above the right idea? It was a pretty big hunch for me.

Using the Laurent series it's clear the singularity is essential. But according to my hunch above I would be working towards it being not isolated. Doesn't it have to be isolated to be essential?

I keep getting stuck I'm these loops of thinking.

You want to reference the isolated zero theorem to say that z=0 is an essential not a removable singularity. Do that by showing that the zero at z=0 is not isolated, so there can not be an analytic extension of ##z\cos(1/z)##.

Correction: the singularity is not an essential singularity because it is not isolated.

Last edited:
Likes Gwinterz
Thanks for your answer and patience.

I am just wondering about one last thing.

When I see essential singularities defined, they are always a subset of isolated singularities.

Is it correct to say that essential singularities must be isolated?

I'm just a bit confused here because if that's true, wouldn't showing it is not isolated imply it isn't essential?

Gwinterz said:
When I see essential singularities defined, they are always a subset of isolated singularities.

Is it correct to say that essential singularities must be isolated?

I'm just a bit confused here because if that's true, wouldn't showing it is not isolated imply it isn't essential?
Good catch. I stand corrected. It is not an essential singularity because it is not isolated. You can still say that it is not a removable singularity. I have corrected my post #8.

Likes Gwinterz
Awesome,

Thanks so much!

I think I got it!

1. What are removable singularities?

Removable singularities are points in a mathematical function where the function is undefined, but can be "filled in" to make the function continuous.

2. How are removable singularities different from other types of singularities?

Unlike essential and pole singularities, removable singularities can be removed by redefining the function at that point. This means that the function can be made continuous at a removable singularity, whereas it cannot be made continuous at essential and pole singularities.

3. What causes removable singularities?

Removable singularities are often caused by a factor or term in a function that can be canceled out or simplified, resulting in a point where the function is undefined.

4. Are removable singularities common in mathematical functions?

It depends on the specific function. Some functions may have multiple removable singularities, while others may not have any. It is more common to encounter removable singularities in rational functions.

5. How do scientists deal with removable singularities in their research?

Scientists may use techniques such as limit definition or L'Hôpital's rule to evaluate the function at the removable singularity and redefine the function to make it continuous. In some cases, they may also choose to ignore the removable singularity and focus on the behavior of the function elsewhere.