Isolated singularity in complex plane

In summary, the isolated singularities at z=0 and z=1 are both poles. The order of the pole at z=1 is not provided.
Bacat

Homework Statement

Locate each of the isolated singularities and tell whether it is a removable singularity, a pole, or an essential singularity. If removable, give the value of the function at the point. If a pole, give the order of the pole.

[tex]f(z) = \pi Cot(z\pi)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Isolated Singularities:

(1) Removable Singularity: [tex]|f(z)|[/tex] remainds bounded as [tex]z \to z_0\;[/tex]

(2) Pole: [tex]\lim_{z\to z_0} |f(z)| = \infty\;[/tex]

(3) Essential Singularity: Neither (1) or (2).

Order of a Pole:

Consider [tex]\frac{1}{f(z)}[/tex] and see how fast it approaches 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found isolated singularities at [tex]z=0,\;z=1[/tex].

[tex]z=0[/tex]:

[tex]\lim_{z\to 0} |f(z)| = \infty[/tex]

[tex]z=1[/tex]:

[tex]\lim_{z\to 1} |f(z)| = \infty[/tex]

Therefore, these are both poles. But I'm not sure how to find the order of the poles for a transcendental function.

Looking at [tex]\frac{1}{f(z)}[/tex]...

[tex]\frac{1}{Cot(z\pi)} = Tan(z\pi) = \frac{Sin(z\pi)}{Cos(z\pi)}[/tex]

When [tex]z\to 0[/tex], [tex]\frac{Sin(z\pi)}{Cos(z\pi)} \to 0[/tex]. To see how fast, I try an expansion of Sin...

[tex]Sin(z\pi) = z\pi - \frac{z^3 \pi^3}{6} + \frac{z^5 \pi^5}{120} - ...[/tex]

Then we have zero on the first term already. Does this mean that the z=1 pole has order zero?. I might have the right answer for the wrong reason. I'm just not sure and the answer is not provided.

But this method doesn't seem to help when [tex]z=1[/tex].

[tex]\frac{1}{Cot(z\pi)} = Tan(z\pi) = \frac{Sin(z\pi)}{Cos(z\pi)}[/tex]

When [tex]z\to 1[/tex], [tex]\frac{Sin(z\pi)}{Cos(z\pi)} \to 0[/tex].

To see how fast, I try an expansion of Sin...

[tex]Sin(z\pi) = z\pi - \frac{z^3 \pi^3}{6} + \frac{z^5 \pi^5}{120} - ...[/tex]

[tex]z=1[/tex] gives [tex]Sin(z\pi) = \pi - \frac{\pi^3}{6} - ...[/tex]

It does eventually go to zero, but I'm not sure how to determine how many terms it takes. How do I calculate the order of this pole?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to first convert Cot into it's Laurent Series representation and then look at that to see where the singularities are.

Also, cot goes to infinity for any value of n*pi not just 0 and 1*pi. But the Laurent series representation will show you this.

There are an infinite number of poles not just at 0 and 1! And deciding how fast 1/f goes to 0, look at Taylor's series expansions for sine and cosine.

1. What is an isolated singularity in the complex plane?

An isolated singularity in the complex plane is a point where a function is not defined or is undefined. This means that the function is not continuous at that point and cannot be extended to a larger domain.

2. How is an isolated singularity different from a removable singularity?

An isolated singularity is different from a removable singularity in that a removable singularity can be removed by defining the function at that point, while an isolated singularity cannot be removed and remains undefined at that point.

3. What are the types of isolated singularities?

The three types of isolated singularities are removable, pole, and essential singularities. A removable singularity can be removed by defining the function at that point. A pole singularity is characterized by a point where the function approaches infinity. An essential singularity has no limit or approachable value at that point.

4. How can isolated singularities be identified?

Isolated singularities can be identified by looking at the behavior of the function at that point. If the function is undefined or has a limit that approaches infinity, it is an isolated singularity. Additionally, singularities can also be identified by analyzing the function's representation in polar coordinates.

5. What are the applications of studying isolated singularities in complex analysis?

Studying isolated singularities in complex analysis is important in understanding the behavior of functions in the complex plane. It has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve complex mathematical models. Additionally, isolated singularities are also used in solving complex integrals and in the study of complex functions and their properties.