1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use suitable contours in the complex plane and the residue theorem to show that

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use suitable contours in the complex plane and the residue theorem to show that

integral from -infinity to +infinity of [1/(1+(x^4))] dx=pi/(sqrt(2))

Fix R > 1, and consider the counterclockwise-oriented contour C consisting of the upper half circle of radius R centered at the origin (call it γ) and the real axis for x in [-R, R].

So, ∫c dz/(1 + z^4) = ∫γ dz/(1 + z^4) + ∫(x = -R to R) dx/(1 + x^4).
    ---------------------------------
    (i) Compute ∫c dz/(1 + z^4) by the Residue Theorem.

The integrand has two singularities in the upper half plane (where C is located):
    1 + z^4 = 0 ==> z^4 = -1 = e^(πi) ==> z = e^(πi/4), e^(3πi/4); both are simple poles.

Computing their residues:

At z = e^(πi/4), we have
    lim(z→e^(πi/4)) (z - e^(πi/4))/(1 + z^4)
    = lim(z→e^(πi/4)) 1/(4z^3)
    = lim(z→e^(πi/4)) z/(4z^4)
    = e^(πi/4)/(4 * -1)
    = (-1/4) e^(πi/4).

Similarly, the residue at z = e^(3πi/4) equals (-1/4) e^(3πi/4).

Therefore, ∫c dz/(1 + z^4) = 2πi [(-1/4) e^(πi/4) + (-1/4) e^(3πi/4)] = π/√2.

but why 2πi [(-1/4) e^(πi/4) + (-1/4) e^(3πi/4)] = π/√2?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Use suitable contours in the complex plane and the residue theorem to show that..

Well, try to write [itex]e^{\pi i/4}[/itex] in it's usual form:

[tex]e^{\pi i 4}=\cos(\pi /4)+i\sin(\pi /4)[/tex]

work that out abd substitute that in. Do the same with [itex]e^{2\pi i/4}[/itex]. You'll see that it equals [itex]\pi/\sqrt{2}[/itex].

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    Re: Use suitable contours in the complex plane and the residue theorem to show that..

Expand your result using Euler's Formula and be dazzled. ;) Complex contour integration is a truly beautiful application of complex analysis, as is seen in the result of this integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook