Find and classify the isolated singularity

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Singularity
In summary: An ordinary power series ##\sum_{n \geq 0} c_n z^n## IS a Laurent series with all negative powers absent. Usually, though, we do not refer to it as a Laurent series (with no negative-power terms); it is easier to just call it a power series.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Find and classify the singularity.

f(z) = sin(z) / z

Homework Equations

sin(z) = (z - z3 / 3! + z5 / 5! - z7 / 7! + z9 / 9! - ...

The Attempt at a Solution

so the singularity is at z = 0.

f(z) = (1/z) * (z - z3 / 3! + z5 / 5! - z7 / 7! + z9 / 9! - ...)

f(z) = 1 - z2 / 3! + z4 / 5! - z6 / 7! + z8 / 9! ...

and these are terms starting at index 0, because the series for sin(z) is Σ(-1)k * (z2k + 1 / (2k+1)!), for k >= 0.

The definition of removable singularity is if cn = 0 for n = -1, -2, -3 ... then f(z) has a removable singularity at α.

ANSWER: So the singularity z = 0 is removable because the series for sin(z) starts at k = 0, and so any term k<0 must have coefficient 0.

i'm really confused how to check whether the singuarlity is removable, a pole, or essential. The definition doesn't make sense to me. How can I check if ck = 0 for all k < 0, if there are no terms for k < 0 in the power series for sin(z)?

Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Find and classify the singularity.

f(z) = sin(z) / z

Homework Equations

sin(z) = (z - z3 / 3! + z5 / 5! - z7 / 7! + z9 / 9! - ...

The Attempt at a Solution

so the singularity is at z = 0.

f(z) = (1/z) * (z - z3 / 3! + z5 / 5! - z7 / 7! + z9 / 9! - ...)

f(z) = 1 - z2 / 3! + z4 / 5! - z6 / 7! + z8 / 9! ...

and these are terms starting at index 0, because the series for sin(z) is Σ(-1)k * (z2k + 1 / (2k+1)!), for k >= 0.

The definition of removable singularity is if cn = 0 for n = -1, -2, -3 ... then f(z) has a removable singularity at α.

ANSWER: So the singularity z = 0 is removable because the series for sin(z) starts at k = 0, and so any term k<0 must have coefficient 0.

i'm really confused how to check whether the singuarlity is removable, a pole, or essential. The definition doesn't make sense to me. How can I check if ck = 0 for all k < 0, if there are no terms for k < 0 in the power series for sin(z)?
Why do you think you need to check? You just said that there are no terms for k < 0 in the power series.

Ray Vickson said:
Why do you think you need to check? You just said that there are no terms for k < 0 in the power series.
yeah... so "no terms for k < 0" <=> "ck = 0 for all k < 0"?

fishturtle1 said:
yeah... so "no terms for k < 0" <=> "ck = 0 for all k < 0"?
What do YOU think?

Ok, so in order to find out what kind of singularity it is, I need to write this as a Laurent series.

So a Laurent series, as I understand it, is f(z) rewritten as
Σ Ck(z-z0)k, for k >= 0 + Σ Ck(z - z0)k, for k < 0.

I've got the first series.. (1 - z2/3! + z4/5! - z7/8! + ...

but I need to see the values for the negative indexes.. so I rewrite the series like this

##
\frac{1}{z} * \sum_{n=1}^{-\infty} (-1)^{-k-1} \frac{z^{-2k-1}}{|z|!} =\frac{1}{z} * ( \frac{1}{z^{3}3!} -
\frac{1}{z^{5}5!} + \frac{1}{z^{7}7!} - ...)

= \frac{1}{z^{4}3!} - \frac{1}{z^{6}5!} + \frac{1}{z^{8}7!} - ...

##Looking at this.. I think that these negative index value have coefficients of ##\frac{1}{|k|!}## which isn't 0 which is what I expected

fishturtle1 said:
Ok, so in order to find out what kind of singularity it is, I need to write this as a Laurent series.

So a Laurent series, as I understand it, is f(z) rewritten as
Σ Ck(z-z0)k, for k >= 0 + Σ Ck(z - z0)k, for k < 0.

I've got the first series.. (1 - z2/3! + z4/5! - z7/8! + ...

but I need to see the values for the negative indexes.. so I rewrite the series like this

##
\frac{1}{z} * \sum_{n=1}^{-\infty} (-1)^{-k-1} \frac{z^{-2k-1}}{|z|!} =\frac{1}{z} * ( \frac{1}{z^{3}3!} -
\frac{1}{z^{5}5!} + \frac{1}{z^{7}7!} - ...)

= \frac{1}{z^{4}3!} - \frac{1}{z^{6}5!} + \frac{1}{z^{8}7!} - ...

##Looking at this.. I think that these negative index value have coefficients of ##\frac{1}{|k|!}## which isn't 0 which is what I expected

An ordinary power series ##\sum_{n \geq 0} c_n z^n## IS a Laurent series with all negative powers absent. Usually, though, we do not refer to it as a Laurent series (with no negative-power terms); it is easier to just call it a power series.

But if there are no terms raised to z raised to a negative exponent, then how can there exist nonexistent terms that have Ck = 0?

If a power series is a series that has all negative powers absent, then how can there be terms:
C-1 (z - z0) + C-2 (z - z0) + ... = 0, if the series starts at k=0?

I know 0 + Σck(z-z0) = Σck(z-z0) how do we know Ck = 0.. what if (z-z0) = 0 and Ck is some number?

sorry for double post

fishturtle1 said:
But if there are no terms raised to z raised to a negative exponent, then how can there exist nonexistent terms that have Ck = 0?

If a power series is a series that has all negative powers absent, then how can there be terms:
C-1 (z - z0) + C-2 (z - z0) + ... = 0, if the series starts at k=0?

It's easy: ##0 (z-z_0)^{-1} + 0 (z-z_0)^{-2} + 0 (z-z_0)^{-3} + \cdots ## is just zero. I genuinely cannot understand why you have a problem with that, but at this point I am quitting this thread.

1. What is an isolated singularity?

An isolated singularity is a point in a mathematical function where the function is undefined or has a unique value. It is isolated in the sense that it is surrounded by points where the function is defined.

2. How do you find isolated singularities?

To find isolated singularities, you need to first identify the points where the function is undefined or has a unique value. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as taking limits or using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to determine if these points are isolated singularities.

3. What is the importance of classifying isolated singularities?

Classifying isolated singularities is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near these points. It also allows us to determine if the function is analytic or not, which has implications in various areas of mathematics and physics.

4. How do you classify isolated singularities?

Isolated singularities can be classified into three types: removable, poles, and essential. Removable singularities can be removed by defining the function at that point. Poles are points where the function approaches infinity, and essential singularities are points where the function has an infinite number of oscillations.

5. Can a function have more than one isolated singularity?

Yes, a function can have multiple isolated singularities. These singularities can have different types, such as a combination of poles and essential singularities. It is important to classify each singularity separately to understand the behavior of the function near those points.