Real integral in complex plane

In summary, the conversation discusses using Jordan's lemma and the residue theorem to transform an integral from the real axis to the complex plane. This allows for the use of complex analysis techniques to evaluate the integral. The conversation also addresses the issue of taking the real part of a complex quantity to obtain the real value of the integral.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

I want to find the value of the integral:
∫cos(x)/((x+a)2+1) dx from ]-∞;∞[

Homework Equations

Residue theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is seeking more a conceptual understanding of why transforming to the complex plane works. According to Jordans Lemma the semi arc of your contour will go to zero if the maximum of lf(z)l -> 0 as lzl->∞. For the function f(z)= cos(z)/((z+a)2+1) - how can you check that this holds? If Jordans Lemma isn't satisfied is it still possible to calculate the real integral by transforming to the complex plane, calculating the integral, and subtracting the contribution from the semi arc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jordan's lemma is necessary to ensure that the semiarc makes no contribution to the integral, but if I recall my complex analysis, you may have to pull off some sort of trick here, for it's clear the lemma is not satisfied--on the imaginary axis, for instance, [itex]\cos z \to \cosh y[/itex] which won't be bounded and grows faster than the denominator. I think there's a way around this, but I don't recall.

aaaa202 said:

Homework Statement

I want to find the value of the integral:
∫cos(x)/((x+a)2+1) dx from ]-∞;∞[

Homework Equations

Residue theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is seeking more a conceptual understanding of why transforming to the complex plane works. According to Jordans Lemma the semi arc of your contour will go to zero if the maximum of lf(z)l -> 0 as lzl->∞. For the function f(z)= cos(z)/((z+a)2+1) - how can you check that this holds? If Jordans Lemma isn't satisfied is it still possible to calculate the real integral by transforming to the complex plane, calculating the integral, and subtracting the contribution from the semi arc?

We have [tex]\cos(x) = \text{Re}(e^{ix}),[/tex] so if you can compute the integral with exp(ix) instead of cos(x) you are done. Let x be extended to z into the upper half-plane, where [tex] e^{iz} = e^{i(x+iy)} = e^{ix} e^{-y},[/tex] and this goes to zero as y → +∞.

RGV

Okay that's quite neat. But one question (which maybe a bit stupid). You get a value for the integral which is complex. Are you then supposed to take the real value of this? How do you know that the complex part of exp(iz) will not contribute to the real value of the integral and the other way around:

In other words:

∫exp(iz)dz = ∫cos(z)dz + i∫sin(z)dz

The values of the total integral is, as far as I can see, complex. But if you take the real part of that: Are you then guarenteed that it only comes from the first integral in the sum above? And how do you know that? I do see the "i" in front of the second integral, but if the integral gives a complex value it would contribute to the real part.

aaaa202 said:
Okay that's quite neat. But one question (which maybe a bit stupid). You get a value for the integral which is complex. Are you then supposed to take the real value of this? How do you know that the complex part of exp(iz) will not contribute to the real value of the integral and the other way around:

In other words:

∫exp(iz)dz = ∫cos(z)dz + i∫sin(z)dz

The values of the total integral is, as far as I can see, complex. But if you take the real part of that: Are you then guarenteed that it only comes from the first integral in the sum above? And how do you know that? I do see the "i" in front of the second integral, but if the integral gives a complex value it would contribute to the real part.

Of course you take the real part:
[tex] I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(x)}{(x+a)^2+1}\, dx
= \text{Re}\,J,\:\: J = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ix}}{(x+a)^2+1}\, dx
[/tex]
We evaluate J by going out into the complex plane.

RGV

Last edited:
But how do you know that integrating over the imaginary part won't yield something complex and thus give a contribution to the real part? Is that impossible due to the definition of the integral of a complex function?

Because the imaginary part of J is
$$Im \:J = i \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin x}{(x+a)^2+1}\, dx. $$ The integral is real. There's no way it can yield a complex result.

aha. Got it - thanks to both of you - you have been really helpful with this an other questions :)

aaaa202 said:
But how do you know that integrating over the imaginary part won't yield something complex and thus give a contribution to the real part? Is that impossible due to the definition of the integral of a complex function?

It doesn't in this case, but that does not matter! You want to extract the real part of some complex quantity, and if that quantity happens to have the form (a+ib)*(c+id) (with real a,b,c,d) then, of course, the answer you want is a*c-b*d.

RGV

What is a real integral in complex plane?

A real integral in complex plane is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is an extension of the real integral, which is used to find the area under a curve in the real number line. In complex analysis, the integral is defined as the limit of a sum of infinitesimal areas of rectangles under the curve.

How is a real integral in complex plane different from a real integral?

A real integral in complex plane is different from a real integral in several ways. First, the integral is calculated over a closed contour in the complex plane instead of a one-dimensional interval in the real number line. Additionally, the integration path in the complex plane can be any curve, whereas in the real integral it is usually a straight line. Finally, the integral in the complex plane can yield complex values, whereas the real integral only yields real values.

What is the significance of a real integral in complex plane in science?

A real integral in complex plane has many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate work done in electromagnetism, as well as to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in fluid dynamics to calculate the flow of fluids around obstacles. Additionally, the concept of complex integration is important in understanding the behavior of waves and oscillations in science and engineering.

What are some techniques for solving real integrals in complex plane?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve real integrals in complex plane, including the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, the Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve manipulating the complex function being integrated and using properties of complex numbers to simplify the integral. Other techniques such as contour integration and transformations can also be used to solve real integrals in complex plane.

Are there any real integrals that cannot be solved using techniques in complex plane?

Yes, there are some real integrals that cannot be solved using techniques in complex plane. These are known as non-elementary integrals and can only be approximated using numerical methods. They often involve special functions or cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However, for most practical applications, the techniques in complex plane are sufficient to solve real integrals.