Isomorphisms and Actions: Can a Bijection Preserve Group Actions?

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of showing the existence of another (semi)group and action that satisfies the condition for a given bijection between sets A and B. The role of the set and semigroup appears to have changed, and there were some mistakes in the initial post that have been clarified.
mnb96
Hello,
let's suppose we are given a set [itex]A[/itex], a (semi)group [itex]S[/itex] and we define a (semi)group-action [itex]t:A \times S \rightarrow A[/itex].
Now, if I define a bijection [itex]f:A \rightarrow B[/itex], is it possible to show that there always exists some other (semi)group S' and some action [tex]t':B \times S' \rightarrow B[/tex] such that:

[tex]\forall a \in A[/tex] and [tex]\forall s \in S[/tex]

[tex]f(t(a,s))=t'(f(a),s')[/tex]

for some [tex]s' \in S'[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might like to have another go at that.

Strangenesses include:
mnb96 said:
... we are given a set [itex]A[/itex] ... I define an isomorphism [itex]f:A \rightarrow B[/itex]...
Do you then mean [itex]f[/itex] is just a 1-1 mapping? Onto [itex]B[/itex]?
mnb96 said:
...we define a (semi)group-action [itex]t:A \times S \rightarrow S[/itex] ... some action [tex]t':B \times S' \rightarrow B[/tex]
The rôles of set and semigroup appear to have changed places.
mnb96 said:
...[itex]f:A \rightarrow B[/itex]...[itex]t:A \times S \rightarrow S[/itex]
[tex]f(t(a,s))=\dots[/tex]
Is the argument of the function on the last line intended to be in its domain?

damn, I´m sorry for those mistakes. I must be very tired at this time.
btw, I´ll try to clarify:

*) [itex]f:A\rightarrow B[/itex] is a bijection

**) the action of the (semi)group S onto A is [itex]t:A\times S \rightarrow A[/itex]

***) if [itex]s \in S[/tex] and [itex]a \in A[/tex], the expression [tex]f(t(a,s))=...[/tex] should now make sense.

I will correct also the first post in case other readers stumble upon it.

Related to Isomorphisms and Actions: Can a Bijection Preserve Group Actions?

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a bijective mapping between two mathematical structures, such as groups, rings, or vector spaces. This means that every element in one structure is paired with a unique element in the other structure, and vice versa.

2. How are isomorphisms related to symmetry?

Isomorphisms can be used to describe symmetries in mathematical objects. When two structures are isomorphic, it means they have the same underlying symmetry. This can be seen in the way that geometric transformations, such as reflections and rotations, can be represented as isomorphic matrices.

3. What does it mean for a group to act on a set?

When a group acts on a set, it means that each element of the group has a specific way of transforming elements in the set. This transformation preserves the structure of the set, and can be thought of as a symmetry of the set. For example, a group of rotations can act on a set of points in a plane, transforming them in a way that preserves their relative positions.

4. How do we determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups are isomorphic, we need to find a bijective mapping between the elements of the two groups that preserves the group structure. This means that the operation in one group must correspond to the operation in the other group. If such a mapping can be found, then the groups are isomorphic.

5. How can we use isomorphisms to simplify mathematical problems?

Isomorphisms can be used to simplify mathematical problems by transforming them into a more familiar structure. By finding an isomorphism between a complex structure and a simpler one, we can use the known properties of the simpler structure to solve problems in the more complex one. This can also help us to identify patterns and relationships between seemingly unrelated mathematical objects.