Decay of a moving Kaon in to two charged Pions

In summary, the minimum velocity for the kaon in the lab frame to ensure that none of the pions move backwards is 0.828c. This can be determined by setting the velocity of the pions in the center of mass frame to be equal and using the conservation of energy and momentum equations. The increased mass of the kaon due to its high velocity does not need to be taken into account for this specific calculation.
toreil

Homework Statement

A Kaon (k0) decays into two charged pions (π+ & π-), what is the minimum momentum required for the kaon so that none of the pions move backwards (in the opposite direction of the kaon) in the laboratory frame.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum:
[itex]\gamma_{k^{0}} m_{k^{0}}v_{k^{0}} = \gamma_{π^{+}} m_{π^{+}}v_{π^{+}} + \gamma_{π^{-}} m_{π^{-}}v_{π^{-}}[/itex]

Conservation of energy:
[itex]\gamma_{k^{0}} m_{k^{0}}= \gamma_{π^{+}} m_{π^{+}} + \gamma_{π^{-}} m_{π^{-}}[/itex]

Mass of the different pions are the same:
[itex]m_{π^{+}} = m_{π^{-}} = m_{π}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Working in the C.O.M. of the kaon frame:
[itex]\gamma_{k^{0}} m_{k^{0}}v_{k^{0}} = 0 = \gamma_{π^{+}} m_{π}v_{π^{+}} + \gamma_{π^{-}} m_{π}v_{π^{-}}[/itex]

thus:

[itex]\gamma_{π^{+}} m_{π}v_{π^{+}} = -\gamma_{π^{-}} m_{π}v_{π^{-}} [/itex]

which gives: [itex]v_{π^{+}} = -v_{π^{-}}[/itex]

Substituting this into the conservation of energy:

[itex]\gamma_{k^{0}} m_{k^{0}}= m_{k^{0}} = 2 \gamma_{π^{+}} m_{π}[/itex] and using the fact that [itex]\gamma_{k^{0}} = 1 [/itex] in our reference frame, I can solve for [itex]v_{π^{+}}[/itex]:

[itex]v_{π^{+}} = \pm c \sqrt{1-\frac{2m_{π}}{m_{k^{0}}}} = 0.828c [/itex]

My question is now, how do I move from the COM reference frame to the lab reference frame. Can I just say that the minimum velocity of the kaon in the lab system has to be equal to 0.828c? Or would I have to look at the increased mass of the kaon due to the fact it is moving at such a high velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
toreil said:
Can I just say that the minimum velocity of the kaon in the lab system has to be equal to 0.828c?
Sure. If the lab is moving at .828c in the kaon frame (so pion+lab move at the same speed), the kaon is moving at .828c in the lab (ignoring the direction here).

Or would I have to look at the increased mass of the kaon due to the fact it is moving at such a high velocity?
The mass is mk and independent of the system. The increased energy will make the analysis look different in the lab frame, but there you didn't calculate it so you don't have to worry about that.

1. What is a Kaon?

A Kaon is a type of subatomic particle that is composed of a quark and an anti-quark. It is classified as a meson and has a relatively short lifespan, decaying into other particles within a few nanoseconds.

2. How does a Kaon decay into two charged Pions?

A Kaon decays into two charged Pions through the weak interaction, specifically the conversion of a strange quark into an up or down quark. This process is known as a weak decay and is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the decay of a moving Kaon into two charged Pions?

The decay of a moving Kaon into two charged Pions is significant because it provides important information about the properties of the Kaon and the weak interaction. By studying the properties of the Pions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.

4. How do scientists study the decay of a moving Kaon into two charged Pions?

Scientists study this decay by using high-energy particle accelerators to produce large numbers of Kaons and observing their decay products, including the two charged Pions. They can then analyze the data to determine the decay rate and other important parameters.

5. What practical applications does this research have?

Studying the decay of a moving Kaon into two charged Pions has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics. It can also help scientists understand and improve technologies such as medical imaging and radiation therapy. Additionally, this research can contribute to our overall understanding of the universe and its fundamental building blocks.