Issue with Inter-eye distance (facial recognition)

• Thread starter Huyanyinglei
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Inter-eye distance in facial landmark detection and face alignment methods. The speaker asks for resources to help understand the role and implementation of IED in these methods. They also mention the availability of open source facial recognition software for further understanding.
Huyanyinglei
TL;DR Summary
face alignment and inter-eye distance
I have the following problem. I’m a beginner of facial landmark detection or so-called face alignment. I see others use Inter-eye distance when they’re doing face alignment. E.g., this: https://github.com/patrikhuber/superviseddescent/issues/56, uses IED for normalization. I wonder what role the IED plays in face alignment methods in general, why and when we need to do it and how we can do it.
May I ask if there’s some good, easy-to-read articles that can help beginners like me understand this question? After some google search I didn’t find much about it. Thanx in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
You can upload a face image to morphthing.com, and click on points of reference, and then check out the result as the image is combined with another that's in their library, or with another that you've uploaded and selected points for -- it's fun even to just play around with A+B combinations from their library, but doing the point selection is more instructive in giving you some idea of what must be happening in the processes -- e.g. watch how wonky it looks if you deliberately pick off-target points.

Likes Huyanyinglei
You can find some accessible MIT articles here: https://www.technologyreview.com/artificial-intelligence/face-recognition/

Facial recognition is not easy -- one encounters complex versions of Sayre's Paradox -- but take heart -- you phone has much more processing and storage capacity than had the IBM machines that were available to Prof. Sayre in 1973.

Here's a link for some open source facial recognition software: https://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/

If you read some of the documentation there, you'll gain a deeper understanding.

1. What is the inter-eye distance?

The inter-eye distance, also known as interpupillary distance, is the measurement between the center of the pupils of the two eyes. It is typically measured in millimeters and can vary from person to person.

2. Why is inter-eye distance important in facial recognition?

Inter-eye distance is an important factor in facial recognition because it helps to determine the unique characteristics of a person's face. By measuring the distance between the eyes, facial recognition software can create a unique template for each individual, making it easier to identify and verify a person's identity.

3. Can inter-eye distance affect the accuracy of facial recognition?

Yes, inter-eye distance can potentially affect the accuracy of facial recognition. If the distance between the eyes is not accurately measured or if there is a significant difference in inter-eye distance between the images being compared, it can lead to false matches or false rejections in the facial recognition process.

4. Is inter-eye distance a fixed measurement?

No, inter-eye distance can vary throughout a person's life. Factors such as aging, facial injuries, or even wearing glasses can impact the distance between the eyes. Therefore, it is important for facial recognition systems to be able to account for these changes and adapt accordingly.

5. How can inter-eye distance be measured for facial recognition?

Inter-eye distance can be measured using various methods, such as manual measurements using a ruler or calipers, or using specialized facial recognition software that can automatically detect and measure the distance between the eyes. Some smartphones also have built-in technology that can measure inter-eye distance for facial recognition purposes.