Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It seems me true but?

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    it seems me true but prof. said its not..

You are asked to calculate the probability that a sample of 1000 vaccine vials from a filling line contains no more than two (2) defective closures. From prior data, you know that the particular filling line in question has a defect rate of 0.08%. Given this information, you use the Microsoft Excel BINOMDIST function with number_s =2, trials = 1000, and probability_s = 0.0008. In order to yield the desired probability, you should set the value of cumulative = TRUE and subtract the result of the function from 1.000.

is that true?

what is your idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2
    You gave an observed rate of 8 defects per 1000 but no variance. If you can assume a Poisson process then the mean and variance is 8 and the SD=sqrt (8). From this you can estimate the probability of 2 defects per thousand.

EDIT: I'm confused about your denominator. Is it 1000 or 10000? In either case the above works as long as your denominator doesn't change. You can also use a chi- square estimate where E=8, O=2 and Chi sq=(E-O)^2/E. You can get the probability from Chi Square tables.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  4. Oct 3, 2009 #3
    SW VandeCarr, thank you very much

When we set the value of cumulative to TRUE, we already getthe probability of 2 or less
    than 2 (that is no more than 2) defectives. So we need not subtract the answer from 1.
    (The probability answer is 0.9526.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook