IV curve for voltage across shunt for probe current (Helimak experiment)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
1a2
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let's say I have a Langmuir probe I-V characteristic from the Helimak experiment. The plasma ions are singly ionized argon. The probe has an effective area of 0.000016 m^2. Estimate the floating potential, electron density,
and temperature. Based only on the nature of the data itself, estimate the uncertainties in these values. This data was taken by sweeping the bias voltage at a frequency of a few Hertz and averaging over 15s to reduce the effect of fluctuations, which are still visible in the
data.

The first column is the voltage applied to the probe. The second is the voltage across a 5-kilo OHm shunt to measure probe current

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution





What I am confused about is that when I plotted the values given in the problem, the curve resembles an IV curve. However, since the y-values are "voltage across a 5-kilo OHm shunt to measure probe current", how would I convert this to current, and thus be able to solve for the floating potential, electron density,
and temperature. ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm missing something, but what would be wrong with just using V=I*R? You know resistance and voltage across the resistor.