Calculating resistance of an oxygen probe

In summary, a heat treating furnace has an oxygen probe that produces a millivolt reading at 1500F based on the parts per million of oxygen present. The probe's life can be estimated by its resistance at this temperature, with a new probe having about 10-15K Ohms and failing once it reaches 25K Ohms. A PLC analog input card is used to continuously read the millivolts (roughly 1000-1200) as a process controller. To determine and log the probe's impedance, a test is run once a day by shunting the probe with a known resistance of 50K Ohms and comparing the before and after millivolt readings. However, there is uncertainty about the
dstanton
I have an oxygen probe that produces a millivolt reading once it reaches 1500F based on the parts per million of oxygen in a heat treating furnace.

The life remaining in the probe can be estimated by the resistance it inherently has at this temperature. A new probe has about 10-15K Ohms and once it gets close to 25K it is going to fail soon.

Anyway, I have this probe hooked up to a PLC analog input card continuosly reading millivolts (roughly 1000-1200) as a process controller. I was told to run a test once a day to determine and log the value of the probe impedance. The guy before me is doing this by using a digital output to shunt the probe with a known resistance 50K Ohms and comparing the before and after millivolt readings.

I have spent the last 2 hours trying to prove (or disprove) the formula that he is using to calculate probe resistance from these two voltage readings. The formula is:

Rp = ((Vp/Vt)-1)*50K where Rp is the probe resistance, Vp is the probe millivolt reading, and Vt is the milliVolt reading with the shunt active

I was able to derive this same formula using Ohms Law, but I had to make one assumption...that the current was the same in both situations.

Questions:
1. Is it an accurate assumption about the current being the same in both the standard scenario and the shunted scenario?
2. If not, is there another simple way to do this by using resistance and the millivolt output?

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do you calculate the resistance of an oxygen probe?

The resistance of an oxygen probe can be calculated by dividing the probe's voltage by its current. This can be done using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I).

2. What is the equation for Ohm's law?

The equation for Ohm's law is R = V / I, where R is resistance measured in ohms, V is voltage measured in volts, and I is current measured in amperes.

3. How do you measure the voltage and current of an oxygen probe?

The voltage and current of an oxygen probe can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that can measure both voltage and current. The multimeter can be connected to the probe's circuit to obtain accurate readings.

4. What factors can affect the resistance of an oxygen probe?

The resistance of an oxygen probe can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other gases in the environment. These factors can alter the conductivity of the probe's materials, thus affecting its resistance.

5. How can you ensure accurate resistance measurements of an oxygen probe?

To ensure accurate resistance measurements, it is important to calibrate the probe regularly and to keep it clean from any debris or contaminants. It is also important to maintain a stable environment for the probe, as changes in temperature or pressure can affect its resistance readings.