Time-Saving Techniques: How to Reduce Effort and Get Things Done Faster

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Well, it's not exactly that I like it, but I definitely don't dislike it! Every time after I cook and finish my meal, within one hour all the dishes are washed. And sometimes there are plenty of dishes, considering the fact that I live alone! :biggrin:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've noticed that I have started taking the shortest path to completing any task. Obviously everything suffers. I have outsourced going through mail to the Evo Child, this means I may or may not get all of the important stuff, but she does an excellent job of weeding out the junk. I figure this saves me a couple of hours each week since I have this really bad habit of actually reading all of the junk and then agonizing over if I should toss that coupon to have my siding powerwashed, even though I don't have siding, perhaps someday I will. :uhh:

In order to save money on groceries and reduce the amount of time I cook, I make large recipes that make 8-12 servings. I used to portion out the servings and store them individually in the freezer to be heated another day. Now I just eat whatever I cook morning, noon, and night until it's all gone, and usually eat it cold, standing at the counter, out of the pot. :redface: I've found that this saves a lot of time, effort, and dishwashing.

I'm multi-tasking more, watching tv cooking shows while moderating and posting. Members will find that interjecting cooking terms into non-food posts will prevent me from taking action as I can no longer separate tv from the internet.

How about you, any time saving techniques you'd like to share?

Physics news on Phys.org
the preface to this is that long ago i was fostering a very sick child over a year and her doctor ordered me on vacation.

Mr. Greg Bernhardt? (that is going to become synonomus with Mr. DeMille!)Please send your/our Evo on vacation. She has forgotten what it means to be young, beautiful and free.
Her mirrors are covered with stickys reminding her to pm back 99% of the members on this forum.
She forgot who she is while staying here and never letting us forget who we are.

VACATION PLEASE!

That's a man's thing, but it is possible to save on time shaving and peeing to washbasin at the same time.

I've been trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

If you wear clothes while in the shower, it's just like washing them.

I don't even know I have mail until one of my roommates tells me, and I've been cooking and eating like you describe since I've been living on my own! I don't think I've ever cooked a meal that involved a main course and side dishes, but if you ask me how many meals I've made that can be described as "gruel over rice," I will tell you I've lost count.

Your problem, Evo, is not that you're lazy, but that you're finally realizing how little effort you really need to put into anything at all. That's a good thing.:biggrin:

I noticed how lazy I got when I was kind of upset that I had to go into the kitchen to microwave a TV dinner. I wanted the food immediately and I didn't want to have to get up from my seat to get it.

Imagine 10 thousand years ago. I would have had to not only get up from my seat, but I'd have to go outdoors, find something that moves, kill it, clean it, and then microwave it.

G01 said:
Your problem, Evo, is not that you're lazy, but that you're finally realizing how little effort you really need to put into anything at all. That's a good thing.:biggrin:
YAY! Thanks G01!

leroyjenkens said:
I noticed how lazy I got when I was kind of upset that I had to go into the kitchen to microwave a TV dinner. I wanted the food immediately and I didn't want to have to get up from my seat to get it.

Imagine 10 thousand years ago. I would have had to not only get up from my seat, but I'd have to go outdoors, find something that moves, kill it, clean it, and then microwave it.
:rofl: I think that should be my new signature.

Evo, if you have a dishwashing problem, I'll be glad to jump in. :tongue:

radou said:
Evo, if you have a dishwashing problem, I'll be glad to jump in. :tongue:
You like dishwashing? I hate it!

You may wash all of my dishes.

Evo said:
You like dishwashing? I hate it!

You may wash all of my dishes.

Well, it's not exactly that I like it, but I definitely don't dislike it! Every time after I cook and finish my meal, within one hour all the dishes are washed. And sometimes there are plenty of dishes, considering the fact that I live alone! :biggrin:

I don't know, while washing dishes, I just drift away in my thoughts and they're all washed before I even notice!

I hate washing dishes! I combine all the dish-washing into one session per day. I also combine all my firewood-hauling to one session a day. Luckily, the wood-box that I built a couple of years back is just about large enough to hold a whole day's wood.

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that I own a dishwasher which I never used in a year and a half.

KingNothing said:
If you wear clothes while in the shower, it's just like washing them.
I washed my clothes in the bath tub when the washing machine wasn't working. As long as you're not trying to get out stains, it actually works.

I hate washing dishes! I combine all the dish-washing into one session per day
Most people call that a "dish washer"

I just put the dishes in the sink and fill it with water. When the dishes are soft enough to go down the drain, they're done.

radou said:
Every time after I cook and finish my meal, within one hour all the dishes are washed. And sometimes there are plenty of dishes, considering the fact that I live alone! :biggrin:
I've been considering getting more dishes so I don't have to wash them as often. And I've go a electric dishwasher. :blushing:

Jimmy Snyder said:
I just put the dishes in the sink and fill it with water. When the dishes are soft enough to go down the drain, they're done.

:rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Let me guess...Chinette?

Evo said:

There is no logical justification for folding underwear.

In the morning, start the coffee before you feed the cats. [that's really just a time to coffee issue].

Speaking of cats, when I have two wanting attention at the same time [I have two office cats that compete for my attention], I talk to one and pet the other. They both think they have my full attention and are quickly satisfied.

My dog is a big time-sink. He loves interaction and attention. Tug-of-war with a rope toy, throwing balls... Until he is tired, he demands more and more attention.

turbo-1 said:
My dog is a big time-sink. He loves interaction and attention. Tug-of-war with a rope toy, throwing balls... Until he is tired, he demands more and more attention.

You remember Little Tyke. Well, she's still my shadow. She goes out and does her thing, but whenever I get up to make coffee, or step outside, or whatever, she is usually right there wanting attention. And she always wants to play! Finally I discovered that if I put her outside, something else usually catches her attention and gets me off the hook.

She was always small and a bit frail, but all of a sudden she discovered her strength and cattitude. I reached down for our typical light play one day, when this thing started biting and scratching with the strength of our large male. She had never drawn blood beyond just a hint due to minor scratches. But without warning, in about two seconds she turned my hand into hamburger! I had about four or five bite wounds and a half dozen scratches bleeding significantly. Being that I was unable to retract my hand without suffering additional injuries, I looked down to see that her eyes were solid black, her ears were back, her mouth was open and poised to bite, and she was obvoiusly having the time of her life! Cripes! Where did that come from?!

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I looked down to see that her eyes were solid black, her ears were back, her mouth was open and poised to bite, and she was obvoiusly having the time of her life! Cripes! Where did that come from?!
Oh yeah, when they go into terminator mode, you're at their mercy. My cat would complete with grabing my hand with his front paws and kicking and shredding my arm with his hind legs. :tongue2: And I'm terribly allergic to cat scratches, so I would swell up.

Evo said:

- Eating out (take outs)
- Eating while walking to work/coming back home. I think I have rarely seen anyone else doing that
- In snowy/hot/lazy days, I buy a big meal in the morning, walk to my school, stay there until 12-1 AM
- Doing laundry before going to sleep and put the clothes in dryer next morning and taking them out at night
- Avoiding big waiting lines

Yo' so lazy, attendants have to open mouth and coax the food down your throat so you can keep posting.

If you have to hire someone to yawn for you, let's talk.

Does anyone make their bed anymore?

I used to make it at night, right before I got in because if there were any wrinkles in the sheets, I couldn't sleep. I solved that by wearing pajama pants.

Has anyone seen the ads for the "pajama jeans"? Yeah, I can see me in those next.

You wouldn't believe how much time you save if you just quit sleeping.

1MileCrash said:
You wouldn't believe how much time you save if you just quit sleeping.
I would give up my awake time for sleep. Dreaming is so important to me.

mmmmm, can you smell that? I just made jalapeno popper dip. That should cause some nightmares tonight. I know better than to eat anything spicy before bed.

1. What are some common time-saving techniques?

Some common time-saving techniques include prioritizing tasks, using a calendar or planner, delegating tasks, setting deadlines, and minimizing distractions.

2. How can I reduce effort while completing tasks?

You can reduce effort by breaking tasks into smaller, manageable chunks, automating repetitive tasks, and finding more efficient ways to complete tasks.

3. Can time-saving techniques be applied in both personal and professional settings?

Yes, time-saving techniques can be applied in both personal and professional settings. They can help with managing household chores, completing work tasks, and achieving personal goals.

4. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to using time-saving techniques?

Some potential challenges or drawbacks to using time-saving techniques may include difficulty with delegating tasks, adjusting to new routines, and potential burnout from trying to constantly be efficient.

5. How can I ensure that I am using time-saving techniques effectively?

To ensure that you are using time-saving techniques effectively, regularly evaluate your methods and make adjustments as needed. It may also be helpful to seek advice and tips from others who have successfully used time-saving techniques.