Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jack Lalanne's Power Juicer

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will juicing really save your life; keep you young; boost your immune system? What is the maximum benefit that can be derived from juicing, and what is the advantage of juicing over direct consumption? What are the disadvantages?

http://www.juicers-juicing.com/juiceman-2.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When you juice something you lose the beneficial fiber.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not that I have a clue what his product really does, but I'm not sure if it really just juices, or if it is more of a puree. How else do you juice a carrot?

I'm not sure if drinking it does anything more than make your eyebrows grow really long though. :uhh: :biggrin: (You have to watch the infomercials to get that one.)

But, what's striking me as hilarious is that the ad is using the word "juicing" to talk about the benefits...juicing is slang for using illegal steroids to enhance performance.

5. Sep 24, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A puree would be healthier. The juicers I've seen strain the pulp out and they throw it away.

6. Sep 25, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, this one might do that too, now that I watched the infomercial again. For some reason, I thought it was one that promoted keeping the fiber in the "juice." Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Actually, I think a puree would be really nice...likely it would have sort of a smoothie type texture, or throw in some ice cubes for a frozen drink.

7. Sep 25, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

A juicer can be pretty good (we have one) but you can't regard the rejected fiber as waste. You can juice carrots, apples, etc and make up some pretty tasty blends, but instead of composting the fiber, consider using them to flavor and bulk up banana breads, zucchini breads, etc. Never give up a reasonable usage of a resource, and never thoughtlessly discard a resource that can still have a productive use. My wife and I have two fairly large compost bins, but there is a whole lot of evaluation about what fruits/vegetables, etc can be salvaged for a higher use, and which must be sacrificed to compost.

8. Sep 27, 2008 #7
    The biggest problem with juicers is trying to make something that tastes good. All the fruits were just too sweet for me and the vegetables...mmph...sorry threw up a little bit there. The vegetables are horrible. you'd be suprised how bad juiced kale is. Celery-just as bad. Sometimes you can get lucky and make a concoction that is okay to sip...once. No way can you drink an entire glass of the stuff. In fact the best tasting juice I juiced was steak.
    BUT if you do want to get a juicer this Jack Lalane thing is the way to go. It could probably juice a q-tip

9. Oct 21, 2008 #8

baywax

Gold Member

One pro to this juicer is the fact that I don't normally eat 6 gigantic carrots in the 2 minutes it takes to drink a pint of carrot juice. Come to think of it, I rarely eat carrots. So, my antique Champion Juicer makes the experience of "EAT YOUR VEGETABLES" a little bit removed and... I say tastier.

10. Oct 21, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

If you want a juicer, I highly recommend buying a Breville Juice Fountain. We have had several different juicers over the years, and this is by far the best. It extracts well and is very easy to clean compared to most. If you had an Acme Juicerator like our last juicer, and you didn't like a long, messy clean-up you would never have used it. P.I.T.A.!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  11. Oct 21, 2008 #10

baywax

Gold Member

Cool. But my Champion is a bit like your antique Troy RotoTiller... its made of cast stainless steel and tends to attract a lot of gravity (heh heh) so it doesn't jump around and no one will steal it.

12. Oct 21, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Ah! a gravity-enhanced juicer. Definitely a plus at high revs if it gets unbalanced.

13. Oct 21, 2008 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, I think I would have guessed that ahead of time.

14. Nov 26, 2011 #13
    I just bought the Breville Juice Fountain! Looking for a quicker way to get my veggies down. A bag of carrots just takes too long :D

Is this the one you have?
    http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE2...HH06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322331004&sr=8-1

15. Nov 26, 2011 #14

turbo

Gold Member

That's the one! It does a heck of a job on fruits and vegetables, and clean-up is quite easy and fast.

You can try all kinds of combos. Carrots, celery, and apples makes a nice blend. Find fruit and produce on sale? Stock up and make juice. If you are inventive and like cooking, you can find uses for the pulp, though our dog gets his share of that. He loves vegetables and fruits.

16. Nov 26, 2011 #15

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

A guy at work began to turn a light orange color - his skin actually had a orange tint to it. He consulted a doctor, who told him to stop eating 5 or 6 carrots as his lunch everyday.

I think the pigment in carrots is used in "tanning pills". I wonder if the juice contains it or whether most of it stays with the fibrous material.

17. Nov 29, 2011 #16
    Just made my first juice!

Carrots
    Cucumber
    Kale
    Apple
    Pear

Tastes... ok :D

18. Nov 29, 2011 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Start tinkering, Greg. You'll find some favorites. I like sweet (carrots), tart (celery), and rich (apples) as a starting point, but there a million ways to go with this. My wife likes to use tropical fruits, etc, but I prefer the native stuff.

It helps that I can stock the freezers with raspberries and blackberries and her sister gives us blueberries to freeze. When a juice just doesn't have "punch" you can add frozen berries to the mix and make the juice more tasty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?