Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
Looks awesome Zz!

I bought a sous vide stick and was tempted to sous vide the turkey, but figured, today is not the day to experiment with DA Boid. I am rubbing mine down with Sazon though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what the cooked turkey looked like a few hours ago.
IMG_5951.JPG

It is almost all gone now, except for the carcass that I'll make turkey broth for soup tomorrow.

Zz

Attachments

• IMG_5951.JPG
    IMG_5951.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 817
Likes dlgoff
ZapperZ said:
Here's what the cooked turkey looked like a few hours ago.
View attachment 215510
It is almost all gone now, except for the carcass that I'll make turkey broth for soup tomorrow.

Zz
Beautiful! Mine is also becoming soup today.

Likes dlgoff
ZapperZ said:
This past week saw the last episode in the outstanding series "I'll Have What Phil's Having". It is my opinion that, outside of Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Food" series, this is the BEST food and travel show on TV.

Most of my friends were shocked and disappointed that there were only 5 episodes in this first series. Many of us have written to PBS/WGBH and to the show directly asking them to produce more. As I've always emphasized, the food and the context of the food with the surrounding society and culture make for a richer story-telling. To me, this is a show becomes more than just a food show. And this series often will make you laugh out loud in one instant, and in the next, almost will make you almost shed a tear. Not many food show can do that!

Speaking of shedding a tear, did anyone catch the Guatemala episode on Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Food"? Towards the end, when one of the ladies thanked him for eating their food and for not looking down on their cuisine, Zimmern was in tears, and I almost lost it. This entire series is just spectacular.

Zz.

In case anyone missed it, "I'll Have What Phil's Having" on PBS has morphed into "Somebody Feed Phil" on Netflix. The new series premiered last Saturday, and all 6 episodes are available. The show follows the same format, and the Skype with the parents are as hysterical as ever.

Do not miss the Bangkok episode. You'll be mesmerized by it.

Zz.

Likes OmCheeto
I did see some of the original episodes based on your previous recommendations and enjoyed watching it.
ZapperZ said:
Netflix
Looks like I won't be seeing the new ones though. :oldfrown:

Riot in France over Nutella sale?

I mean, I like Nutella and all, but this one made me scratch my head. Anyone living in France here? Can someone explain this to me? Is it because they like Nutella, or are they simply going bonkers over the huge discount?

Next time we have a riot at a store here in the US over some stupid products or items (and you know that is bound to happen some time soon), I don't want to hear about us crazy Americans going nuts over some sale! o0):smile:

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Riot in France over Nutella sale?

I mean, I like Nutella and all, but this one made me scratch my head. Anyone living in France here? Can someone explain this to me? Is it because they like Nutella, or are they simply going bonkers over the huge discount?

Next time we have a riot at a store here in the US over some stupid products or items (and you know that is bound to happen some time soon), I don't want to hear about us crazy Americans going nuts over some sale! o0):smile:

Zz.

There is an entire Reddit thread about the popularity of Nutella across Europe (not just in France):

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEurope/comments/3fyqrp/why_is_nutella_so_popular_in_europe/

Personally, I think Nutella is disgusting, but admittedly I'm not fond of peanut butter either, although I do like roasted peanuts and do like peanut sauce (which is not the same as peanut butter) for cooking.

StatGuy2000 said:
... I'm not fond of peanut butter
I've been living on peanut butter for the last 3 months, and I'm all out.

See you all later!

OmCheeto said:
peanut butter [insert]bubblegum[/insert] for the last 3 months, and I'm all out.
"They live."

I cooked 3lbs of Cuban style pork in the slow cooker for 10 hours.

I loaded some on salty fries with Greek yoghurt and hot sauce.

3KP0ZWA.jpg

Attachments

• 3KP0ZWA.jpg
    3KP0ZWA.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 492
Likes Astronuc
So, I have this mystery that maybe a few of you know the answer to.

I make curried butternut soup often, it's one of my favorite things to have, especially during the cold months. So I know all about butternut squash and have used it many times. However, earlier this week, when I decided to make another butternut squash soup, I stumbled upon something that puzzled me. When I cut it open to take out the seeds, I found not only the seeds, but also what appeared to be mung bean sprouts growing in the squash cavity! Take a look at the photos below:

IMG_7145.JPG
IMG_7149.JPG

This was definitely something I didn't expect.

There were no puncture holes or openings in the squash, i.e. I don't see a way for the bean sprouts seeds to get in there. I've cut open many butternut squashes, and I've never seen anything like this.

Have anyone seen this before, or know what happened here?

BTW, there was nothing wrong with the butternut squash. I cleaned it up, cooked it, and it turned out as usual. So whatever happened certainly didn't affect the squash itself.

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_7145.JPG
    IMG_7145.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_7149.JPG
    IMG_7149.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 527
Likes Astronuc
ZapperZ said:
Never seen this before, but it looks like its the squash's own seeds that sprouted.

DrClaude said:
Never seen this before, but it looks like its the squash's own seeds that sprouted.

Do butternut squash sprouts look the same as mung bean sprouts? I've never grown butternut squash before, so I don't know. But those sprouts sure looked like mung bean sprouts.
mung-beans-1705174_1280.jpg

There are seeds that were not sprouting. And this is not an old squash, so I'm surprised that, if these are the squash sprouts, it would be sprouting already while still inside the cavity.

Zz.

Attachments

• mung-beans-1705174_1280.jpg
    mung-beans-1705174_1280.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 510
Likes StatGuy2000
I've molested the turkey with the compound butter and it has gone into the oven. Good luck, Mr. Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving!
199ED551-E589-4140-B5C6-8BE18117ACD4.jpeg

Zz.

Likes OmCheeto, Dr. Courtney and Borg
Mr Turkey made it out of the oven!

72C602D2-0BDF-46C9-83A7-9E0FC821EE7C.jpeg

Almost everyone went for the crispy skin. Yum!

Zz.

Likes DrClaude, dlgoff, BillTre and 2 others
Smokin!
31C29F61-99DA-4510-8765-47932F5B6690.jpegSadly, we had no Nutella.

ZapperZ said:
I've cut open many butternut squashes, and I've never seen anything like this.

BTW, there was nothing wrong with the butternut squash. I cleaned it up, cooked it, and it turned out as usual. So whatever happened certainly didn't affect the squash itself.
I think I've seen this once, and in a butternut, too. Finding the seeds have sprouted is not uncommon in supermarket tomatoes, those hard tasteless ones, in lemons, and sometimes in apples though only to the extent of a white shoot just a few mm in length in the latter. I once planted the sprouting seeds from a lemon, and grew two impressive lemon trees, very thorny, but prolific bearers of fruit.

This restaurant as the best promotion so far during the shutdown for coronavirus. Order a delivery or take-out, and you get a roll of bathroom tissue! :)

This place is actually about 10 minutes away from me, and I've never been there before even though I've passed it many times. So today, I thought, what the heck, let's order a pickup from them! When we got there, there was a curbside pickup, and sure enough, we got our food with a roll of toilet paper! Score!

IMG_3695.JPG

We are not in any dire need of toilet paper, but it was hysterical that this promotion made the news and getting them business. I ordered from here for the first time because of this. The pull-pork sandwich and the BBQ brisket sandwich were quite good. So I definitely intend to come back here, hopefully for dinning in. So no matter what happens, this clever and funny promotion has been a success.

Zz.

Likes Astronuc
Something similar came across my Twitter feed the other day:

TP.with.your.order.jpg

How To Make the Absolute Best Instant Pot Beef Stew
https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-beef-stew-22949287

Don’t Stew with Stew Beef
Braising turns tough cuts of beef into tender, succulent bites, but you want to skip the pre-cut stew beef when you’re at the grocery store or butcher. Oftentimes, stew beef is cut into irregularly shaped pieces and can have a lot of tough gristle that will never get tender. Picking up a piece of boneless beef chuck instead means that you can easily trim off all the unwanted parts first, then make sure the pieces are cut into uniform 1 1/2-inch pieces that will cook evenly and quickly in the pressure cooker.
I like chunks of rutabaga, turnip and/or parsnip in my beef stews.

Astronuc said:
How To Make the Absolute Best Instant Pot Beef Stew
https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-beef-stew-22949287

I like chunks of rutabaga, turnip and/or parsnip in my beef stews.
Despite not growing up with parsnips, I've been including them in stews for quite awhile, now. Maybe, a third to a half the amount of potatoes.

Next up, adding turnips (I was twenty or so when I found out the "turnips" my family usually had were actually rutabagas... to this day I've no clue what an actual turnip tastes like) to my cottage-roll and bok choy based "Irish-Canadian Stew".

No room for peas in a stew (though it seems to work in some's formulations) ; good in chili, though.

My mother used to cook roast beef with potatoes, carrots and parsnips. In the early years, we grew our own carrots and parsnips. I loved roasted carrot and parsnip, but my brother didn't so he'd pass me his carrots and parsnips under the table.

@Astronuc, it really sounds delicious for sure tastes even better. The raw carrots are also delicious to eat, well just saying thou :)

Food prepared by my mother😁
IMG_20201104_130306.jpg

IMG_20200426_140151.jpg

Likes Astronuc
Really like the super easy Indian cucumber salad w/ some diced green chilies (I use serranos or jalapenos), lime juice, cumin and cilantro

Likes Evo and gmax137
BWV said:
Really like the super easy Indian cucumber salad w/ some diced green chilies (I use serranos or jalapenos), lime juice, cumin and cilantro
That sounds really good, I think I'll make that.

Likes BWV
Evo said:
That sounds really good, I think I'll make that.

forgot to mention another variant has (unsalted) peanuts as well

Likes Evo
I'm going vegan for 6 days a week. I'm thinking unsweetened soy milk will give me the protien needed.

I'm trying to rule out why my stomach is getting so big. People are noticing. I want to rule out allergies from dairy. I'm doing the 'one meal a day' omad diet.

If I still have a gut with zero body fat, I can rule out viseral fat around my organs.

I love vegan meals. Mainly broccoli with a splash of olive oil and lemon dressing with peanuts, blueberries and whatever else tastes good.

I'm a little worried it maybe ascites that's blowing out my belly.

Even on a low fat diet, the body can turn protien into calories.

You can drop a pound a day on omad, but you need to do a workout or your body will burn your muscles as well as your stored fat for glucose.

So yeah, no dairy, meat or sugar until I figure this out.

Not completely vegan but dropped most meat from diet. I have tried each of the locally available vegan burgers. The 'Beyond' burgers are edible but contain small nuggets/chunks reminiscent of soft bone fragments in poorly ground beef or venison. My current favorite are the Impossible' burger patties.

Apply garlic olive oil* to both sides of Impossible patty and place on oven pan.
Bake/broil (I use an electric convection oven) at ~350 F for 30 minutes max.
Turn ~10 minutes or about 1/3 of total cooking time depending on patty initial temperature.

Serve on fresh whole-grain hamburger bun w/ dijon mustard and fresh tomato slices. They taste delicious, better than most beef IMO. Can cook directly from freezer.

*Chop fresh garlic cloves fine or use food processor (easiest). Mix in ~2 cups virgin olive oil for each full head of garlic. Store in sealed glass jar in refrigerator. Apply to burgers or buns (if toasted) w/ flat knife. (Option: add paprika a/o cayenne to oil to taste and to help preserve.)

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
My homemade recipe that I love:
Big skillet with three teaspoons of conola oil filled with brussel sprouts cut in half then I put a quarter of bacon crumbles, a small diced onion, diced cabbage, cilantro, cashews, and sesame seeds.

Nice to see EVO here!:smile:

Likes Klystron
Vegetarian chilli ~ One of my weekend delights. :)
The easiest chilli you'll ever make, with ready-to-eat grains, kidney beans in chilli sauce and summer veggies.

Ingredients
400g pack oven-roasted vegetables
1 can kidney beans in chilli sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 ready-to-eat mixed grain pouch

Method
STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Cook the vegetables in a casserole dish for 15 mins. Tip in the beans and tomatoes, season, and cook for another 10-15 mins until piping hot. Heat the pouch in the microwave on High for 1 min and serve with the chilli.