Jessica Lynch

  • News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • #26
22
0
Originally posted by phatmonky
They are braver than you are, and I salute them for their duty :)
1) You have no idea who I am or what I have done.

2) Ad hominem attacks like that do not in any way provide an argument, and in fact show that you lack the capacity for such.

3) "Fat" and "Monkey".
 
  • #27
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by Zero
You have the EXACTLY backwards. The rape claim is the government's, not hers.
Ok, I don't really get how the government can have a voice, who is the government in this case that made these claims?

I mean, I was in the US until August so the whole media hoopla didn't escape me. What I saw is that the group was captured, video's came out of the POWs (without Jessica, she was missing). They showed lots of those video's of those POWs and pictures of Jessica.

Then the news came that they raided that hospital and found one POW, Jessica, and showed the footage. The other POWs of the group were still hostages, but Jessica was transported to Germany to stabilize.

Do I've got my storyline straight? Jessica came out first while the others were still captured?

Yes, she was made to represent a soldier gone done fighting, but in my opinion that was the media, I haven't noticed the US government having a hand in that. I was also aware during all that, that she was just part of the support troup and not actually a soldier.
 
  • #28
member 5645
Originally posted by Zero
You have the EXACTLY backwards. The rape claim is the government's, not hers.

Unless the government wrote here book for her, you are wrong :)
 
  • #29
member 5645
Originally posted by Zero
You don't know who is braver than who...especially with the claims that the raid was staged for the cameras, and there was very little risk to the Special Forces guys who 'rescued' her.
There's an inferred personality trait in someone who sarcastically refers to a special forces member as "super brave" doing "ninja stuff", that allows me to say such a thing :smile:

You can say there was little risk, after the fact, but they were in baghdad, in hospital that was still guarded with armed soldiers. Everyone loves to play down these guys because of the rest of the story, but simply being in baghdad at this point was a dangerous thing.
 
  • #30
Originally posted by phatmonky
you were there? you know this? Wow! WRite a book about it!

The rape claim is her, not the government, claim.
Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/06/national/main582204.shtml

(CBS/AP) Iraqi doctors who treated former prisoner of war Jessica Lynch dismissed on Friday claims made in her biography that she was raped by her Iraqi captors.

Although Lynch said she has no memory of the sexual assault, medical records cited in the book — "I am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story" — indicate that she was raped and sodomized by her Iraqi captors.
She claimed not remembering any assault. It's not uncommon for victims of abuse to repress or supress any painful memory. Medical records cited in the book claimed she was rape.


In an interview timed to coincide with the release of the book and the airing of TV movies about her ordeal, Lynch herself took issue with the way part of her story was told: She faulted the military for exaggerating her conduct in battle and the operation to rescue her.

"They used me as a way to symbolize all this stuff," she said in an excerpt from the ABC interview. "It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about."

She also said there was no reason for her rescue from an Iraqi hospital to be filmed. "It's wrong," she said.

Footage of the rescue was aired repeatedly on television networks reporting how a special forces team bravely fought into and out of the hospital.

"I don't think it happened quite like that," Lynch said
Originally posted by phatmonky

You can say there was little risk, after the fact, but they were in baghdad, in hospital that was still guarded with armed soldiers. Everyone loves to play down these guys because of the rest of the story, but simply being in baghdad at this point was a dangerous thing.
From the same news article

It has since emerged that there were no Iraqi forces at the hospital, and that Iraqi doctors had tried to return Lynch to American forces but were forced to turn back when U.S. soldiers fired at them.

WOW! U.S. soldiers firing at Iraqi doctors, oops different thread. All kidding aside, I have great respect for the Special Forces guys, and familiar with the type of training and missions they have to go through but this story was greatly exaggerated. On this situation there was much less risk on the Special Forces getting killed.
 
Last edited:
  • #31
member 5645
Originally posted by The_Professional

WOW! U.S. soldiers firing at Iraqi doctors, oops different thread. All kidding aside, I have great respect for the Special Forces guys, and familiar with the type of training and missions they have to go through but this story was greatly exaggerated. On this situation there was much less risk on the Special Forces getting killed.
hahaha, I agree whole heartedly with what you have just said.
The story was ridiculous, I have a hude disdain(sp?) for Ms. Lynch, and I have great respect for members of our military.
There was no doubt much less chance of them getting killed in real life than in the story, but let's be honest, to act as if they weren't brave or at risk is ridiculous in itself. I dunno about you, but I wouldn't want to be in baghdad at that point in time, even with a gun and night vision.
 
  • #32
Zero
Originally posted by phatmonky
There's an inferred personality trait in someone who sarcastically refers to a special forces member as "super brave" doing "ninja stuff", that allows me to say such a thing :smile:

You can say there was little risk, after the fact, but they were in baghdad, in hospital that was still guarded with armed soldiers. Everyone loves to play down these guys because of the rest of the story, but simply being in baghdad at this point was a dangerous thing.
Why don't you try not psychoanalyzing people, ok?
 
  • #33
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by Monique
Ok, I don't really get how the government can have a voice, who is the government in this case that made these claims?
Since noone is able to respond, I conclude it was infact the media who took the story and ran away with it.
 
  • #34
Zero
Originally posted by Monique
Since noone is able to respond, I conclude it was infact the media who took the story and ran away with it.
Specifically, it was the media runniong with DOD spin, without actually checking any of the facts.
 
  • #35
member 5645
Originally posted by Zero
Why don't you try not psychoanalyzing people, ok?
I can only deal with what is posted master zero [zz)]
 
  • #36
Zero
Originally posted by phatmonky
I can only deal with what is posted master zero [zz)]
Try dealing with teh points of the thread, not your opinion of the people, ok?

And check your PM inbox.
 
  • #37
kat
26
0
Originally posted by Zero
Specifically, it was the media runniong with DOD spin, without actually checking any of the facts.
I thought the origional report was through an embedded reporter and then through centcom. Wasn't the filming done by an embed and then edited by either centcom or the pentagon?
 
  • #38
Zero
Originally posted by kat
I thought the origional report was through an embedded reporter and then through centcom. Wasn't the filming done by an embed and then edited by either centcom or the pentagon?
Well, embedded reporters are the first line of the Pentagon spin machine, aren't they?
 
  • #39
kat
26
0
Originally posted by Zero
Well, embedded reporters are the first line of the Pentagon spin machine, aren't they?
lol, considering it's the many of the same media outlets that have embeds that were later pointing fingers....
 
  • #40
Zero
Originally posted by kat
lol, considering it's the many of the same media outlets that have embeds that were later pointing fingers....
Yeah, well, it friggin took them long enough, didn't it?
 
  • #41
kat
26
0
Originally posted by Zero
Yeah, well, it friggin took them long enough, didn't it?
I think this comment officially makes you a sucker:wink: :wink:
 
  • #42
Zero
Originally posted by kat
I think this comment officially makes you a sucker:wink: :wink:
I think your comment just made you a target...
 
  • #43
kat
26
0
Originally posted by Zero
I think your comment just made you a target...
oops!
 
  • #44
Zero
Originally posted by kat
oops!
It is your own fault...I'm looking at the Nuclear Posture Review, and I think I can adapt it to you pretty easliy...

OK, you get one reply, and then let's get back on topic, ok?
 
  • #45
55
9
Origionally posted by Phat man scoop
you were there? you know this? Wow! WRite a book about it!
I am only posting to what has been said, and the proof of what actually happened out there.

To be in the Military you have to be brave, nobody is questioning that, it is only the mission that is being questioned.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #46
Originally posted by Andy

To be in the Military you have to be brave, nobody is questioning that, it is only the mission that is being questioned.
Exactly
 
  • #47
55
9
Damn you Zero! I was only trying to have some fun!

and yes i know the rules. :frown:
 

Related Threads on Jessica Lynch

  • Last Post
4
Replies
98
Views
10K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
3K
Top