Job/Academic Prosects After a Combined Biochem and Physics Degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits and drawbacks of a combined honors degree in biochemistry and physics. The speaker is considering this degree as a way to have a well-rounded education in the physical sciences and potentially open up opportunities for graduate studies. They express concerns about the amount of memorization and math required in the biochemistry portion of the degree, but the other person reassures them that it is not excessive. They also mention the potential for using their mathematical and physical interests in specialized areas of biochemistry research. However, they caution that the degree may require a significant amount of time and effort in lab work. Overall, the degree is seen as a good choice for someone interested in both physics and biochemistry, but may not be as
ecneicS
I go to university of victoria, which offers a combined honors biochem and physics degree. I think this would be an awesome degree to have than includes all 3 physical sciences and would probably leave you open to a lot of opportunities. Because I switched from Biology to Physics, I have quite a few credits that pertain to the degree and could complete it in 5 years total (it would take me 5 years total to do my honors Physics anyways).

However, I haven't really had a full taste of what biochemistry really is. I've only done a brief section of biochem in 1st year general Chemistry and it probably wasn't very representative of the the field. How much emphasis is on memorization? I am good at memorizing but I prefer conceptual learning. Is there a lot of math? I love math.

How would this degree set me up for grad school in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
For graduate studies in pure physics I wouldn't think the biochem degree would be that useful, maybe others can give more insight though. If you are interested in doing some translational work into biology/chemistry fields then obviously it would be more useful than if you pursue physics alone.

Knowing what I know now, if I had that degree and a well rounded application to go with it I would shoot for admission to the MEMP Ph.D. program at Harvard-MIT, with emphasis on neuroimaging. That's just where my own interests lie, however.

EricVT said:
For graduate studies in pure physics I wouldn't think the biochem degree would be that useful, maybe others can give more insight though. If you are interested in doing some translational work into biology/chemistry fields then obviously it would be more useful than if you pursue physics alone.

Ya. I realize I'm diluting my physics ed by getting the combined but do you think that would significantly hinder me from getting into a physics grad school if I decided to? If I go the combined major, I miss out on these 400 level courses: "Topics in Mathematical Physics I", "Statistical Mechanics", "Electromagnetic Theory", "Quantum mechanics II" and 3 Physics electives at the 300 or 400 level. I can however, write an honors thesis.

We can't know how much memory constitutes 'a lot' for you. I think the best for you to do is get the syllabus, go to the library or bookshop, look through some of the recommended textbooks. See how it looks.

The worst part of biochemistry for your fears is 'intermediary metabolism' - basically the pathways of small-molecule synthesis and degradation. You will not have to learn the entire lot which is immense, but you will have to learn as much of the main things as the course requires. It has a sort of semi-logic that makes it not terribly hard to remember. Unfortunately it is not often taught with deep chemical understanding that suggests why nature does things the way she does. Look at glycolysis, the Krebs (oxidation) cycle, the Calvin (photosynthesis) cycle which is about as bad as it gets, purine and pyrimidine nucleotide synthesis. Some people find them amusing, others a bore, but they are not really hard to master.

Then there are things like electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation, more conceptual though not exactly predictable. Conceptual and frankly more interesting IMHO would be the part of +/- biochemistry called 'molecular biology' which I supposed is macromolecular metabolism, synthesis of DNA, RNA, and proteins which is quite systematic, and also linked to genetics, the control mechanisms of everything, then membranes and membrane biochemistry, you are getting into the area that brings you into the understanding that stretches from simple molecules through membrane proteins and enzymes to the most complex biological phenomena like smell and vision just for one example.

Answer to your question about whether there is a lot of math - no! But the relatively little and elementary that there is you will sail through while your co-students will be stumbling and struggling. You can see them on this site if you look at the chemistry and biology sections, struggling hard with about the same three or four questions coming back all the time on buffers and pH! Then it comes in in enzyme kinetics and ligand binding and you will see them making heavy weather of it again. And then it comes in in all the physical methods.

There is plenty of scope to employ your mathematical/physical interest on subspcialities towards the end of your course and in research, e.g. physical methods, protein folding and informatics, modelling, bioinformatics, evolution, genomics, data mining,... things with industrial application and opportunities.

You should be prepared for a fairly heavy and time-consuming slab of lab work in your course.

If all that is OK I think you are making a good, if somewhat arduous choice.

Firstly, congratulations on considering a combined biochemistry and physics degree! This is a unique and valuable combination that can open up many opportunities for you in the future. With a strong background in both physical and life sciences, you will have a well-rounded education that can be applied to a variety of fields.

In terms of job prospects, having a combined biochemistry and physics degree can make you a highly sought-after candidate for research positions in biophysics, biochemistry, and other related fields. Your diverse skill set and interdisciplinary knowledge can also be attractive to employers in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and energy.

As for academic prospects, this degree can definitely set you up for success in graduate school in physics. Your strong foundation in both disciplines can give you a unique perspective and approach to solving complex problems in physics. Additionally, having experience in both laboratory and theoretical work can make you a well-rounded and competitive candidate for graduate programs.

In terms of the emphasis on memorization in biochemistry, it can vary depending on the specific courses and program. However, in general, biochemistry does require a strong understanding of key concepts and mechanisms, rather than just memorizing facts. As for math, there is a significant amount of math involved in biochemistry, particularly in understanding and analyzing biological processes at a molecular level. So, if you enjoy math, this degree may be a good fit for you.

Overall, a combined biochemistry and physics degree can provide you with a strong foundation for a successful career in both industry and academia. It is a challenging but rewarding path that can lead to exciting opportunities in various fields. I would recommend exploring the specific courses and program requirements at your university to get a better understanding of what to expect and how to best prepare for graduate school in physics. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What career opportunities are available with a combined biochemistry and physics degree?

A combined biochemistry and physics degree can open up many career opportunities in fields such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical research, environmental science, and even finance. Graduates can work as research scientists, laboratory technicians, quality control analysts, data analysts, and more.

2. Is it necessary to pursue further education after completing a combined biochemistry and physics degree?

It is not necessary to pursue further education after completing a combined biochemistry and physics degree. However, many students choose to pursue postgraduate studies in a specific field of interest to further enhance their knowledge and career prospects.

3. How can I make myself more competitive in the job market with a combined biochemistry and physics degree?

To make yourself more competitive in the job market, you can gain practical experience through internships or research projects, develop strong communication and teamwork skills, and seek out additional certifications or training in specialized areas of interest.

4. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a combined biochemistry and physics degree?

A combined biochemistry and physics degree will provide you with a strong foundation in both biology and physics, as well as analytical and critical thinking skills, research skills, and laboratory techniques. You will also gain knowledge of biochemical processes, molecular structures, and scientific principles.

5. What types of jobs or positions are in high demand for graduates with a combined biochemistry and physics degree?

Some of the high-demand positions for graduates with a combined biochemistry and physics degree include biophysicist, biochemist, medical physicist, research scientist, and data analyst. These fields are rapidly growing and offer a variety of opportunities for career advancement and growth.