Career Options for Physics Majors: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the field of physics and its applications in engineering. The speaker has some questions about what a physics degree can lead to outside of engineering, and how it can be used for a career. They also inquire about the difference between theoretical and experimental physics, and how physics can be used on its own. The expert suggests a resource for information on physics education and job trends.
Megasundato
Hello. I'm interested in the field of physics/engineering, and I have a vague plan of what I would like to do; though I admit my lack of knowledge on the subject as a whole.
Some question I have are: What does a physics major due outside of the engineering fields? I see that many theoretical physicists work in researce; though what does the experimental physicist do? How could a degree (of any level) of physics work for a career?

What else is there? How do you use physics by itself? how can a physics degree work for engineering?
The answer to any other question I have forgotten to ask will help as well.
If there are similar threads please link them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your one stop shop for all things physics education and work related:
http://www.aip.org/statistics/

Specifically check out:
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emp_bachelor.html

It is just a bunch of tables and charts, but I should give you some idea.

thanks. I'll check them out.

Related to Career Options for Physics Majors: Questions & Answers

1. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in physics?

With a degree in physics, you can pursue a variety of career options including research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, data analysis and programming jobs, and even careers in finance or consulting. Physics majors are highly sought after for their analytical thinking, problem solving skills, and ability to work with complex data.

2. Do I need a graduate degree to have a successful career in physics?

While many physics majors do go on to pursue graduate degrees, there are also plenty of opportunities for those with just a bachelor's degree. Depending on your interests and career goals, you can find fulfilling and well-paying jobs in a variety of fields with just an undergraduate degree in physics.

3. How can I prepare for a career in physics while in college?

There are several ways to prepare for a career in physics while in college. Some suggestions include participating in undergraduate research opportunities, taking courses in programming and data analysis, and networking with professionals in your field of interest. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs can also be beneficial.

4. What skills do I need to excel in a career in physics?

Aside from strong analytical and problem-solving skills, successful physicists also possess strong mathematical abilities, computer and programming skills, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important for a career in physics.

5. Are there any non-traditional career options for physics majors?

Yes, there are many non-traditional career options for physics majors. With their strong analytical and problem-solving skills, physicists can also find success in fields such as data science, finance, and consulting. Additionally, many physics majors go on to pursue careers in science writing, education, and science policy.