EE vs CpE Jobs: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Jobs
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Electrical and Computer Engineering jobs and the difficulty in finding job postings specifically for Electrical Engineering positions. The speaker mentions a preference for working with physics problems rather than computer science and expresses interest in moving to the Bay Area for job opportunities. Resources such as DICE.COM, the Bureau of Labor Statistics website, and IEEE.org are suggested for researching job options in the EE field. The conversation also touches on the relationship between EE and CE and the speaker's personal experience with EE classes.
lubuntu
I am trying to nail down what exactly the difference in jobs are between a Electrical and Computer Engineer. I think I have a relatively good idea of what to look for in CpE since I am a bit more familiar with what kinds of work they do and know of a good website to browse representative jobs in the field, DICE.COM. I have a little more trouble figuring out what sorts of jobs are more EE style. I am not interested in working on power systems or anything more like electronics, is there maybe a site that is geared more toward the EE side of things so I can take a look at what sort of jobs are out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a ton of experience with EE jobs outside of computer engineering. I can say that the relationship between computer engineers and electrical engineers is like the relationship between aerospace engineers and mechanical engineers. Computer engineering is a subset of EE, and EEs generally are not at any sort of disadvantage when applying to CpE jobs, depending on the actual classes taken and any research done etc.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm covers the basic spectrum of what EEs do. You might also want to check http://www.ieee.org/. Look at the open working groups and the news articles on there. EEs are doing all of that - developing wireless communication protocols, control systems for power plants or anything else, robotics for different purposes, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my thing:

1. I prefer the EE track at my school since it is more physics heavy whereas CE is more CS heavy. I'd rather work on stuff where I'd be dealing more with physics type problems than CS ones. I find CS to be a really dull field, no offense, and I definitely don't want to become some "Software Engineer" who just programs all day I'd like to actually get hands on and work with electronics.

2. EE is more nebulous to me I think if I could find a job board that listed a bunch of jobs for EE's and what sort of stuff they hire for it would help. I guess I will get a better idea of what EE's do day to day once I get more into my classes though.

3. Is the Bay Area a top spot for EE jobs or just more CE jobs? I'd really like to move out there when I graduate so this is somewhat important to me.

lubuntu said:
Here is my thing:

2. EE is more nebulous to me I think if I could find a job board that listed a bunch of jobs for EE's and what sort of stuff they hire for it would help. I guess I will get a better idea of what EE's do day to day once I get more into my classes though.

This should be obvious, but have you visited the careers section of actual companies yet?

I can provide some insight into the differences between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Computer Engineering (CpE) jobs. Both fields involve the application of scientific principles and technology to solve real-world problems, but there are some key distinctions between them.

EE focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. This includes designing and developing electrical systems, such as power grids, communication systems, and electronic devices. EE jobs can range from working on large-scale power systems to developing small-scale electronic devices.

On the other hand, CpE combines elements of both EE and computer science to design and develop computer systems and hardware. This can include designing computer chips, developing software, and creating systems that integrate both hardware and software components. CpE jobs can range from developing computer systems for a variety of industries, such as healthcare, automotive, and aerospace.

In terms of job opportunities, both EE and CpE offer a wide range of options. However, EE may have a slightly broader scope of job opportunities as it covers a wider range of industries, including power systems, telecommunications, and consumer electronics. CpE, on the other hand, may have more specific job opportunities in industries that heavily rely on computer systems, such as software development, information technology, and telecommunications.

To explore job opportunities in the EE field, I would suggest looking at websites such as IEEE Job Site and Engineering.com. These websites offer a variety of job postings in different industries related to EE. Additionally, you can also look at job listings on company websites in industries that interest you.

In conclusion, while both EE and CpE involve the application of scientific principles and technology, they have distinct differences in terms of job focus and opportunities. It is important to research and understand these differences to determine which field aligns with your interests and career goals.

1. What is the main difference between EE and CpE jobs?

The main difference between EE (Electrical Engineering) and CpE (Computer Engineering) jobs is the focus of the work. EE jobs primarily deal with the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and devices, while CpE jobs focus on the design and development of computer hardware and software.

2. Are the job responsibilities different for EE and CpE engineers?

Yes, the job responsibilities for EE and CpE engineers are different. EE engineers typically work on power generation and distribution systems, electronic devices, and communication systems. CpE engineers, on the other hand, work on the design and development of computer hardware, software, and networking systems.

3. Can an EE or CpE engineer work in the same industry?

Yes, EE and CpE engineers can work in the same industry, as their skills and knowledge overlap in many areas. Both types of engineers may work in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, and consumer electronics.

4. What type of skills are required for EE and CpE jobs?

EE and CpE jobs require a combination of technical skills in mathematics, physics, and computer science. However, EE jobs may require more of a focus on circuit design, while CpE jobs may require more programming skills.

5. Which field has better job prospects, EE or CpE?

Both EE and CpE fields have strong job prospects, as they are both integral to many industries and technologies. However, the demand for CpE engineers is growing faster due to the increasing use of computers and technology in various industries.