Who was John Bahcall and what impact did he have on the astrophysics community?

• Thread starter SpaceTiger
  • Start date
In summary: I think that summarizing complex information in a way that is easy to understand is a very important task. In this case, I think it is important to emphasize what Professor Bahcall was known for. He was a leading expert in solar neutrino research and was very supportive of new neutrino physics research. He was also very involved in the astronomical community and had a great influence on the field.
SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The famous astrophysicist and head of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, John Bahcall, has died. Here's a brief article on him. Professor Bahcall is partifcularly noted for his work on the solar neutrino problem, insisting that solar models were correct and encouraging physicists to search for new neutrino physics.

As a side note, John Bahcall was one of the most powerful (perhaps the most powerful) members of the astronomical/astrophysical community all the way up to his death. His death will likely have significant consequences for the political landscape of astrophysics.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The passing of one of the true greats in astrophysics, one of my heroes.

http://www.ias.edu/Newsroom/announcements/Uploads/view.php?cmd=view&id=287 announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Bahcall was really a great physicist. His research interests very diverse from particle physics to cosmology. He had been associted with many observational projects , like the Hubble space telescope. He wrote three or four books also. I like the book "Unsolved problems in astrophysics". I think this is an excellent book for graduate students working in this field and if they read it before going in any particular field then it will really help to make choice.

John wrote many popular articles also which can be find on his princton's webpage.

A sad note, I knew him well. A towering figure in astrophysics for many decades. One of those unreplaceable types.

Very sad. I never met the man, just a few of his students. He was a giant in our time.

What was the Bahcall paper (or other published work) that you read which first made you appreciate the quality of his work?

For me, http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9603/9603035.pdf was one such (though, being published in 1996, I'm sure it wasn't the first).

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal favorite is his work on solar neutrinos:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9211291
Title: What Do Solar Models Tell Us About Solar Neutrino Experiments?
Author: John N. Bahcall

Thanks Nereid, I am humbled by your questions. You are a very bright lady. I admit I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I just try to do the best I can.

1. Who was John Bahcall?

John Bahcall was a renowned American astrophysicist who made significant contributions to the field of astrophysics, particularly in the study of the sun and neutrinos.

2. What were John Bahcall's major achievements?

John Bahcall's major achievements include predicting the existence of neutrinos coming from the Sun's core and developing the standard solar model, which accurately predicted the Sun's energy output and helped confirm the theory of nuclear fusion in stars.

3. How did John Bahcall die?

John Bahcall died at the age of 70 from complications of multiple myeloma, a type of cancer that affects plasma cells in the bone marrow.

4. What impact did John Bahcall have on astrophysics?

John Bahcall's work had a significant impact on astrophysics, particularly in the study of the Sun and neutrinos. His research helped shape our understanding of the Sun's energy source, and his predictions have been confirmed by numerous experiments.

5. What is John Bahcall's legacy?

John Bahcall's legacy includes his groundbreaking research in astrophysics, which has greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe. He also mentored and inspired many young scientists, leaving behind a legacy of scientific excellence and passion for discovery.