Joint dist of X+Y and X-Y

• MHB
  • Thread starter oyth94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the joint distribution of two variables, X+Y and X-Y, where X and Y are defined using independent samples from a uniform distribution over (0,1). The goal was to determine whether the joint distribution is discrete or absolutely continuous. The next step was to find the probability mass function for the two variables and calculate the probabilities for specific values.
oyth94
Suppose u1 and U2 are a sample from Unif(0,1).
X= 1{u1<=1/2} , Y=1{u2<=1/3}
Get the joint dist of X+Y and X-Y
Is it jointly discrete or jointly abs cont?

How do info about finding the joint dist??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
oyth94 said:
Suppose u1 and U2 are a sample from Unif(0,1).
X= 1{u1<=1/2} , Y=1{u2<=1/3}
Get the joint dist of X+Y and X-Y
Is it jointly discrete or jointly abs cont?

How do info about finding the joint dist??

So first of all, you weren't very clear with your notation, so first I'd like to check that I understand what you mean.

We say that
$$
X = \begin{cases} 1 &\mbox{if } u_1 \leq \frac12 \\
0 & \mbox{otherwise } \end{cases}
$$
and
$$
Y = \begin{cases} 1 &\mbox{if } u_2 \leq \frac13 \\
$$
Where $u_1$ and $u_2$ are independently sampled from a uniform distribution over $(0,1)$. Your goal is to find the joint distribution of $X+Y$ and $X-Y$. Is that correct?

TheBigBadBen said:
So first of all, you weren't very clear with your notation, so first I'd like to check that I understand what you mean.

We say that
$$
X = \begin{cases} 1 &\mbox{if } u_1 \leq \frac12 \\
$$
and
$$
Y = \begin{cases} 1 &\mbox{if } u_2 \leq \frac13 \\
$$
Where $u_1$ and $u_2$ are independently sampled from a uniform distribution over $(0,1)$. Your goal is to find the joint distribution of $X+Y$ and $X-Y$. Is that correct?

Yes that is what I meant! I tried the question for X+Y and got 0,1,2
For X-Y I got -1,0,1
Why do I do next?

oyth94 said:
Yes that is what I meant! I tried the question for X+Y and got 0,1,2
For X-Y I got -1,0,1
Why do I do next?

So as you rightly stated, $X+Y$ can be 0,1, or 2, and $X-Y$ can be -1,0,1. What they're asking for now is a probability mass function (pmf) on these two variables, which I'll call $f(x,y)$. That is, for a given $(a,b)$, we need to be able to figure out the probability that $X+Y=a$ and $X-Y=b$.

So, for example: the probability that $X-Y=-1$ and $X+Y=1$ is $\frac12 \cdot \frac13 = \frac 16$, since this will only happen when $X=0$ (which has probability $\frac12$) and $Y=1$ (which has probability $\frac13$). So, we would say that for our joint pmf $f(x,y)$, we have $f(-1,1)=\frac16$. The value of our joint probability distribution at $(-1,1)$ is $\frac16$.

Does that help? Can you finish the problem from there?

The joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y can be found by first determining the values of X+Y and X-Y for all possible combinations of u1 and u2. Since X and Y are defined as indicator functions based on the values of u1 and u2, we can determine that X+Y and X-Y can take on the following values:

X+Y = 2 if u1 <= 1/2 and u2 <= 1/3
X+Y = 1 if u1 <= 1/2 and u2 > 1/3
X+Y = 1 if u1 > 1/2 and u2 <= 1/3
X+Y = 0 if u1 > 1/2 and u2 > 1/3

X-Y = 0 if u1 <= 1/2 and u2 <= 1/3
X-Y = 1 if u1 <= 1/2 and u2 > 1/3
X-Y = -1 if u1 > 1/2 and u2 <= 1/3
X-Y = 0 if u1 > 1/2 and u2 > 1/3

Since u1 and u2 are both uniformly distributed on the interval (0,1), we can see that the joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y is a discrete distribution, as it takes on a finite number of values.

To fully determine the joint distribution, we would need to know the probabilities associated with each of these values. This can be calculated by considering the probabilities of each event (u1 <= 1/2 and u2 <= 1/3, u1 <= 1/2 and u2 > 1/3, etc.) and using the properties of the uniform distribution.

In terms of whether the joint distribution is jointly discrete or jointly absolutely continuous, it would depend on the specific values of u1 and u2. If they are both randomly and independently sampled from the interval (0,1), then the joint distribution would be jointly absolutely continuous. However, if there is some relationship or dependency between u1 and u2, then the joint distribution may be jointly discrete.

What is joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y?

Joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y refers to the probability distribution of the sum and difference of two random variables X and Y. It shows the likelihood of obtaining certain values for both X+Y and X-Y together.

How is joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y calculated?

To calculate the joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y, you would need to first find the individual probability distributions of X and Y. Then, you can use the formulas for sum and difference of random variables to find the distributions for X+Y and X-Y. Finally, you can combine these distributions using the joint probability distribution formula.

What is the difference between joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y and the individual distributions of X and Y?

The joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y shows the relationship between the two random variables and their combined outcomes, while the individual distributions of X and Y only show the probabilities for each variable separately. The joint distribution takes into account the correlation between X and Y, while the individual distributions do not.

Why is joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y important in statistics?

Joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y is important in statistics because it allows us to analyze the relationship between two random variables and their combined outcomes. It helps us understand how the variables are correlated and how they may affect each other. This information can be useful in making predictions and making decisions based on the joint distribution.

Can the joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y be used to find the individual distributions of X and Y?

Yes, the joint distribution of X+Y and X-Y can be used to find the individual distributions of X and Y. By using the formulas for sum and difference of random variables, we can derive the individual distributions from the joint distribution. However, the reverse is not always true, as the joint distribution takes into account the correlation between X and Y, which may not be reflected in the individual distributions.