Journal papers in a foreign language

In summary, some suggestions for coping with foreign languages in journal papers are using translation websites such as babelfish.yahoo.com, finding a math professor or foreign language department at a university, or learning enough of the language through a dictionary. The difficulty with Russian is mainly the alphabet, which is easy to learn as it borrows from the Greek alphabet. It is often a requirement for American PhDs to translate papers from a foreign language into English.
andytoh
Any suggestions on how to cope with foreign languages in journal papers? Say you want to read a proof of a certain theorem. But the ONLY published proof of that theorem is in Russian, and it has never been translated in English. Other than learning Russian, any suggestions on how to learn the proof? I cannot get by by just reading the symbols and guessing their meanings.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That site, from experience usually does a poor job. If you are at a university, you can try to find a math professor that speaks Russian. At my school there are plenty of Russian Math Professors. Or you can try the foreign language department of your school.

Or you can call some local high schools, there should be some that teach russian or have someone the foreign language department who has some experience with it.

Or that site might actually work for you, it might be a question of ease of translation versus accuracy to determine what you have to do.

You learn 'enough' Russian (or whatever language) by using a dictionary. Fortunately mathematical papers often read the same irrespective of language, and indeed the words are often the same. The only difficulty with Russian is the alphabet.It is often (always?) a requirement of an American PhD to translate a paper from a foreign language (not one's first) into English.

n_bourbaki said:
The only difficulty with Russian is the alphabet.

No, the cyrillic alphabet it is very easy, it borrows some stuff from the greek alphabet that you are already familiar with. I like the alphabet better than all the other alphabets I use (including arabic).

bourbaki

Бурбаки

بوڔباكى

See? which one do you find the most straightforward?

roam said:
No, the cyrillic alphabet it is very easy, it borrows some stuff from the greek alphabet that you are already familiar with. I like the alphabet better than all the other alphabets I use (including arabic).

bourbaki

Бурбаки

بوڔباكى

See? which one do you find the most straightforward?

Erm.. the top one?!

1. How can I access journal papers in a foreign language?

There are a few ways to access journal papers in a foreign language. You can search for the paper through online databases such as Google Scholar or PubMed, or you can request the paper through interlibrary loan from your local library. Some universities also have subscriptions to foreign language journals that you can access through their library website.

2. Are there any tools to help with understanding a journal paper in a foreign language?

Yes, there are several tools that can assist with understanding a journal paper in a foreign language. You can use online translation tools such as Google Translate or DeepL to translate the paper into your preferred language. Additionally, many journals offer abstracts and summaries in multiple languages to help with understanding the main points of the paper.

3. How can I determine the quality of a journal paper in a foreign language?

To determine the quality of a journal paper in a foreign language, you can look at the journal's impact factor, which is a measure of how often the articles in the journal are cited. You can also look at the credentials of the authors and the reputation of the journal in the academic community.

4. Are there any cultural differences to consider when reading a journal paper in a foreign language?

Yes, there may be cultural differences to consider when reading a journal paper in a foreign language. It is important to be aware of any cultural norms or customs that may affect the content or interpretation of the paper. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts from the country where the paper was published to gain a better understanding of the cultural context.

5. How can I cite a journal paper in a foreign language in my own work?

Citing a journal paper in a foreign language follows the same general guidelines as citing a paper in your own language. You should include the title, author names, journal name, publication date, and page numbers. If you are using a translation of the paper, you should also include the translator's name. Additionally, you may want to include a note indicating the original language of the paper. You can consult your chosen citation style guide for more specific instructions.