Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just because you can't see something, it doesn't mean it's not really there

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1

rhody

Gold Member

Willard Wigan
    Mirco-sculptor
    Posted on TED:
    Aug 2009 19:46

TED link
    Art Meets Science

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Very dry funny delivery, kind of reminds me of Bill Cosby's humor.
    Overcame difficult undiagnosed dyslexic childhood, discovered his ability as micro-sculptor
    Even more amazing, he slows his heartbeat down and carves, arranges between beats... 1.5 seconds at a time.

In his own word's:
    "It was a fantasy world I escaped to where my dyslexia didn't hold me back and my teachers couldn't criticize me. That's how my career as a micro-sculptor began."
    Willard Wigan

As a teen I watched my Dad build a two piece fly rod jig from steel (60% degree V) a total of 6 pieces. Then, over a number of weeks shave, match, glue, and cure a bamboo fly rod, that was true without a twist. Quite amazing, at least for me at the time.

Not on the same level of difficulty as what Willard accomplished, but it took patience and perseverance. I never forgot the lesson.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2
    First time I've seen that guy was in this video a few years ago.

He's amazing.
    I have an interest in this sort of stuff because I used to make tiny origami animals. Other kids in school learned how to make them at full size, but I kept going smaller and smaller until my fingers could no longer physically fold the paper. I had to start using my nails.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?