Just because you can't see something, it doesn't mean it's not really there

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, Willard Wigan is a micro-sculptor who has overcome a difficult childhood with undiagnosed dyslexia. He discovered his talent for micro-sculpting and developed the ability to slow his heartbeat in order to create tiny sculptures between beats. He credits his work as a way to escape criticism and limitations caused by his dyslexia. He is also inspired by his father's patience and perseverance in creating a bamboo fly rod. The speaker, who has a passion for small-scale art due to their experience with making tiny origami animals, admires Willard Wigan's incredible talent and dedication.
rhody
Gold Member
Willard Wigan
Mirco-sculptor
Posted on TED:
Aug 2009 19:46

http://www.ted.com/talks/willard_wigan_hold_your_breath_for_micro_sculpture.html"
http://www.willard-wigan.com/art-meets-science.aspx"

29y5gz.jpg
2r2vnyb.jpg

Very dry funny delivery, kind of reminds me of Bill Cosby's humor.
Overcame difficult undiagnosed dyslexic childhood, discovered his ability as micro-sculptor
Even more amazing, he slows his heartbeat down and carves, arranges between beats... 1.5 seconds at a time.

In his own word's:
"It was a fantasy world I escaped to where my dyslexia didn't hold me back and my teachers couldn't criticize me. That's how my career as a micro-sculptor began."
Willard Wigan

As a teen I watched my Dad build a two piece fly rod jig from steel (60% degree V) a total of 6 pieces. Then, over a number of weeks shave, match, glue, and cure a bamboo fly rod, that was true without a twist. Quite amazing, at least for me at the time.

Not on the same level of difficulty as what Willard accomplished, but it took patience and perseverance. I never forgot the lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First time I've seen that guy was in this video a few years ago.

He's amazing.
I have an interest in this sort of stuff because I used to make tiny origami animals. Other kids in school learned how to make them at full size, but I kept going smaller and smaller until my fingers could no longer physically fold the paper. I had to start using my nails.

Last edited by a moderator:
The process of creating something, even if it's not visible to the naked eye, takes skill, dedication, and hard work. Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean it's not real. This applies not only to micro-sculpting, but to many scientific concepts as well.

For example, we can't see atoms or molecules with our naked eye, but we know they are there because of the evidence and data gathered through scientific experiments and observations. In the same way, just because we can't see certain phenomena or concepts, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

In the field of science, we often rely on instruments and tools to help us see things that are too small or too far away for our eyes to detect. We trust these instruments because they have been proven to accurately measure and observe the invisible.

Furthermore, there are many things in the universe that we still have yet to discover and understand. Just because we can't see them or explain them yet, it doesn't mean they are not real. As scientists, it is our job to continue exploring, questioning, and pushing the boundaries of our knowledge to uncover the mysteries of the world around us.

So, in conclusion, just because we can't see something with our naked eye, it doesn't mean it's not really there. Willard Wigan's incredible micro-sculptures serve as a reminder that there is so much more to the world than what meets the eye, and it is up to us as scientists to continue exploring and uncovering its wonders.

1. What does the phrase "just because you can't see something, it doesn't mean it's not really there" mean?

The phrase means that the absence of visual evidence does not necessarily mean that something does not exist or is not true.

2. Is this phrase applicable to scientific concepts?

Yes, this phrase is applicable to scientific concepts and theories. Many scientific theories, such as the existence of dark matter or the structure of atoms, are not directly observable but are supported by evidence and observations.

3. How does this phrase relate to the scientific method?

This phrase highlights the importance of using multiple forms of evidence and experimentation to support scientific claims, rather than relying solely on visual observations.

4. Can you provide an example of a scientific concept that supports this phrase?

The concept of gravity is a good example. Gravity is not directly observable, but its effects can be seen through the movement of objects and the behavior of celestial bodies.

5. How can we apply this phrase in our everyday lives?

This phrase can remind us to approach situations with an open mind and to consider all available evidence, rather than solely relying on what we can see with our eyes. It can also encourage critical thinking and questioning of assumptions.

Back