Gold Member

Willard Wigan
    Mirco-sculptor
    Posted on TED:
    Aug 2009 19:46

TED link
    Art Meets Science

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Very dry funny delivery, kind of reminds me of Bill Cosby's humor.
    Overcame difficult undiagnosed dyslexic childhood, discovered his ability as micro-sculptor
    Even more amazing, he slows his heartbeat down and carves, arranges between beats... 1.5 seconds at a time.

In his own word's:
    "It was a fantasy world I escaped to where my dyslexia didn't hold me back and my teachers couldn't criticize me. That's how my career as a micro-sculptor began."
    Willard Wigan

As a teen I watched my Dad build a two piece fly rod jig from steel (60% degree V) a total of 6 pieces. Then, over a number of weeks shave, match, glue, and cure a bamboo fly rod, that was true without a twist. Quite amazing, at least for me at the time.

Not on the same level of difficulty as what Willard accomplished, but it took patience and perseverance. I never forgot the lesson.

2. jcsd
  3. First time I've seen that guy was in this video a few years ago.

He's amazing.
    I have an interest in this sort of stuff because I used to make tiny origami animals. Other kids in school learned how to make them at full size, but I kept going smaller and smaller until my fingers could no longer physically fold the paper. I had to start using my nails.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?