K12 Math for Adults: Preparing for AoPS Prealgebra

• Intro Math
  • Thread starter Gionson
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an adult looking to learn K12 math on their own using the AoPS series. They want to review basic math before starting the Prealgebra book and are seeking concise resources. Recommendations include MathIsPower4U.com, which has 5000 videos covering a range of math topics, and Openstax.org, which offers textbooks on various math courses. The speaker is also advised to consider getting a textbook on arithmetic as a refresher before diving into Precalculus. A link to a resource from Bronx Community College is provided.
Gionson
I want to learn K12 math as an adult by myself and I plan to use AoPS series.

However, before I dive into the Prealgebra book, I'd like to recap the really basic math one more time(I learned it a long time ago).

I found Khan Academy and other materials, but I'm looking for something more concise.

Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out:

http://www.MathIsPower4U.com

They have a collection of 5000 videos covering Pre-Algebra math upto first year college ie Calculus 1,2,3 Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics all broken up into 10 minute video clips focusing on a single problem.

There's also the http://www.Openstax.org books that cover a similar range of courses.

Gionson said:
However, before I dive into the Prealgebra book, I'd like to recap the really basic math one more time(I learned it a long time ago). I found Khan Academy and other materials, but I'm looking for something more concise.
You could just get a textbook on arithmetic, since that's what is usually studied before Precalculus.

Here's one of many links I found, written by an instructor at Bronx (NY) Community College -- http://fsw01.bcc.cuny.edu/mathdepartment/Courses/Math/MTH01/allmath01.pdf

The sections cover whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percents, ratios and proportions, and signed numbers (i.e., positive and negative numbers).

1. What is "K12 Math for Adults: Preparing for AoPS Prealgebra"?

"K12 Math for Adults: Preparing for AoPS Prealgebra" is a course designed to help adults prepare for the AoPS (Art of Problem Solving) Prealgebra course. It covers the foundational math concepts and skills necessary for success in the Prealgebra course.

2. Who is this course intended for?

This course is intended for adults who are interested in improving their math skills and preparing for the AoPS Prealgebra course. It is also suitable for anyone who wants to review and strengthen their foundational math knowledge.

3. What topics are covered in this course?

This course covers a wide range of topics including arithmetic, fractions, decimals, percents, algebraic expressions, equations, and inequalities. It also includes problem-solving strategies and techniques.

4. Do I need any prior math knowledge to take this course?

Some basic math knowledge is recommended, but this course is designed to be accessible for adults with varying levels of math background. It is a great refresher for those who haven't studied math in a while, and it will also benefit those with stronger math skills.

5. How will this course help me prepare for the AoPS Prealgebra course?

This course will provide you with a solid foundation of math skills and concepts that are essential for success in the AoPS Prealgebra course. It will also help you develop problem-solving skills and build confidence in approaching challenging math problems.