1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kaon in an accelerator, Lorentz transformation problem

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok so a Kaon (m = 500MeV) is accelerated from rest along the z-axis to a final energy of 5GeV, I need to find two factors of a lorrentz transformation β and γ and write a four vector for this.

2. Relevant equations
    β=p/E γ=E/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated this using the above equations but I don't know if I've gone about it the right way.

I have β≈1 and γ=10 - can anyone tell me if this is anything like what it should be??

Thanks,

K xoxo

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your result for ##\gamma## is right, but you could be a bit more precise about what ##\beta## equals.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    Yeah it's actually 0.995 or something like that, it's just it seems from the nature of the question that it would require more work than that - I also don't understand where these components fit into a 4-vector?

Thanks for this,

K xx

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The energy-momentum four-vector is simply ##p^\mu = (E, p_x, p_y, p_z)##, where E is the total energy and the pi's are the particle's three-momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook