Katherine Johnson, of "Hidden Figures" fame, dies at 101

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary: Katherine Johnson, 1918-2020, was a pioneering black woman in the field of space exploration who helped put humans in space and brought them back safely to Earth. She worked for NASA in the early days of the space program and was a human calculator involved in the trajectories of spacecraft. Her work was instrumental in the development of computer-aided space navigation.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Katherine Johnson made famous by the "Hidden Figures" movie of 2016 died at the age of 101.
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.24.10 AM.png

She was a NASA "human calculator" involved in calculating trajectories of astronaut carrying spacecraft before computers were used for that purpose.
Being a black female she also had to deal with race and gender barriers during her career.
CNN story here.

"We will always have STEM with us. Some things will drop out of the public eye and will go away, but there will always be science, engineering and technology. And there will always, always be mathematics."

Katherine Johnson, 1918-2020

Likes StatGuy2000, berkeman and Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
Just watched that movie again last week. Those women had to be superhuman to succeed with so much stacked against them.

Likes russ_watters, StatGuy2000, BillTre and 1 other person
I have not seen the film but remember Ms. Johnson from group photographs posted at NASA. My favorite quote from this NYT article:
"The guys all had graduate degrees in mathematics; they had forgotten all the geometry they ever knew, ... I still remembered mine.”

Likes vela, StatGuy2000, berkeman and 1 other person
From VOX Online:

Katherine Johnson, who died Monday at age 101, was a pioneer in many ways: She was an early employee of NASA (and even worked at the agency that predated it), and an African American woman working in a field hugely dominated by white men. She was also a pioneer in that her work helped put humans in space, and returned them safely home to Earth.

Before rising to pop-culture fame with the book and movie Hidden Figures, before being awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Johnson created and calculated some extremely important equations to make America’s adventures in spaceflight successful. As Bill Barry, NASA’s chief historian, told the Washington Post in an obituary: “If we go back to the moon, or to Mars, we’ll be using her math.”

Here’s what she did, and why she’ll be remembered for a long time.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...johnson-death-nasa-legacy-math-hidden-figures

Likes BillTre
What would be cool is if they could actually show the actual orbital mechanics work they did for the flight and how it was computed.

You have a moving spaceship, a moving and rotating Earth, air resistance... and then the ship majestically lands where you want it to.

I grew up in a small town not in the deep south. Chestertown, Maryland in 1960 was filled with wonderful caring people who carelessly and openly practiced apartheid.
White schools, white lunchcounters, white country club, white churches: invisible people of color.
We should not forget the magnitude of the accomplishments of Katherine Johnson.
Too bad the Presidential Medal of Freedom has been recently devalued.

Likes BillTre
hutchphd said:
I grew up in a small town not in the deep south. Chestertown, Maryland in 1960 was filled with wonderful caring people who carelessly and openly practiced apartheid.
White schools, white lunchcounters, white country club, white churches: invisible people of color. [...]
I had no conception of Ms. Johnson's ethnicity until I read the obit; just knew she was a female "computer" in an era when aerospace was dominated by males.

Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area in the 1960's attitudes appeared more relaxed but ugly incidents still occurred. People brought old prejudices with them. I remember a visitor from New York pointing to one of my schoolmates over for lunch and study group. "He's Chinese!". My response, "Huh. What?"

Likes jedishrfu
A nice depiction in a cartoon

Katherine Johnson NASA Legend.jpg

• Love
Likes Klystron, russ_watters, Borg and 1 other person

1. Who was Katherine Johnson and why is she famous?

Katherine Johnson was an African American mathematician and NASA scientist who played a vital role in the early space program. She is best known for her contributions to the calculations that helped send the first American astronaut into orbit.

2. What was Katherine Johnson's role in the "Hidden Figures" movie?

Katherine Johnson's character was portrayed in the "Hidden Figures" movie as a brilliant mathematician who helped calculate the trajectories for Project Mercury and other NASA missions. She also faced discrimination and overcame numerous challenges as a black woman working in a predominantly white and male field.

3. What were Katherine Johnson's major achievements during her career at NASA?

Katherine Johnson's major achievements include calculating the flight path for Alan Shepard's first spaceflight, verifying the calculations done by early computers for John Glenn's orbital mission, and playing a critical role in the Apollo 11 mission to the moon.

4. How did Katherine Johnson's work impact the space program and society?

Katherine Johnson's work had a significant impact on the space program, as her calculations were crucial in ensuring the success of many NASA missions. She also broke barriers for women and people of color in the scientific and mathematical fields, inspiring future generations to pursue careers in STEM.

5. What is Katherine Johnson's legacy?

Katherine Johnson's legacy is one of determination, intelligence, and breaking barriers. She paved the way for women and minorities in the STEM fields and her contributions to the space program will always be remembered. She has been awarded numerous honors and awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2015.