Kelvin's thunderstorm\water dropper

• Thread starter MMS
  • Start date
In summary, Some obvious things that can be measured and calculated in Kelvin's thunderstorm/water dropper experiment include volts produced, net average current and power, time to produce a given charge, and net efficiency of converting potential energy of the water into electrical power.
MMS
Hi guys,

So I've been wondering, if I were to do Kelvin's thunderstorm\water dropper experiment and present it in front of people, what things can I actually measure (for example, something as a function of the other or the dependency between two things)? Or in other words, what calculations and measurements can I actually write down and check with my system?Thank you and happy holidays.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Some obvious things come to mind:
- volts produced
- net average current and power
- time to produce a given charge
- net efficiency of converting potential energy of the water into electrical power

What is "Kelvin's thunderstorm/water dropper"?

"Kelvin's thunderstorm" or "water dropper" is a scientific experiment that demonstrates the principles of charge separation and electric discharge. It involves dripping water into a vertical tube that is charged with high voltage electricity, creating a "thunderstorm" effect with sparks and lightning.

Who invented "Kelvin's thunderstorm/water dropper"?

The experiment was first described by British physicist William Thomson, also known as Lord Kelvin, in the 19th century. He used the experiment to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and lightning.

What is the scientific explanation behind "Kelvin's thunderstorm/water dropper"?

The experiment shows the principles of charge separation, where the water droplets become charged due to the electric field in the tube. As the droplets move towards the bottom of the tube, they accumulate more charge and eventually discharge in the form of sparks and lightning.

What are the practical applications of "Kelvin's thunderstorm/water dropper"?

This experiment is mainly used for educational purposes to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics. It can also be used to create a visual representation of lightning and to study the properties of electric fields and charge separation.

Is "Kelvin's thunderstorm/water dropper" safe to perform?

As with any experiment involving high voltage electricity, caution should be taken when performing "Kelvin's thunderstorm/water dropper". It is important to follow safety guidelines and wear appropriate protective gear. It is not recommended for children to perform this experiment without adult supervision.