Kelvin water dropper and Walter Lewin

In summary, the Kelvin water dropper is a fascinating demonstration of positive feedback and electrostatic attraction. It consists of a bucket of water and empty paint cans that create a battery with a potential difference of several kilovolts. The charge builds up until it discharges with a spark when it exceeds a threshold. The principle of operation involves a small charge on one bucket attracting negative charge into the other bucket. This experiment can be used with pure water, as it self-ionizes and has charged particles present. The wikipedia entry is not the whole story, as evidenced by additional information and discussions on the topic.
gnurf
I recently came across MIT prof. Walter Lewin's fascinating demonstration of a Kelvin water dropper, which can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY1eyLEo8_A
(EDIT: If your browser is like mine that didn't work, try this: )

As shown in the diagram below, the setup consists of a bucket of water and some empty paint cans that act together in a positive feedback loop where the charge builds up to create a battery with a potential difference of several kilovolts. In the MIT demo, there are also two closely placed conductors from the each of the opposite charged buckets so that the buckets are discharged (resulting in a spark in the air between them) when the potential exceeds some threshold.

Kelvin_water_dropper.PNG

From wikipedia's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_water_dropper#Principle_of_operation" section:
Any small charge on either of the two buckets suffices to begin the charging process. Suppose, therefore, that the left bucket has a small positive charge. Now the right ring also has some positive charge since it is connected to the bucket. The charge on the right ring will attract negative charge into the right-hand stream by electrostatic attraction. When a drop breaks off the end of the right-hand stream, the drop carries negative charge with it. When the negatively charged water drop falls into its bucket (the right one), it gives that bucket and the attached ring (the left one) a negative charge.

Am I right to think that this wouldn't work with pure H2O (i.e an insulator with no free electrons)? Also, the prof. says that "the way it works is actually quite subtle", so I'm wondering the if the wikipedia entry is the whole story, or if there's more to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
One of the links at the bottom of the wikipedia page you referenced leads here:

http://amasci.com/emotor/kelvin.html

A great read (if a bit rambling).

I vaguely remember a discussion of this experiment in some mostly forgotten physics class. Thank you for this post as I have thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the topic! I do wonder if there are any practical applications for this phenomena wrt power generation, though I suspect the yield in most cases would be far too small.

Fish

gnurf said:
Am I right to think that this wouldn't work with pure H2O (i.e an insulator with no free electrons)?

No. Water self-ionizes. Pure water has a pH of 7, which means, at equilibrium, it has approximately 10-7 hydronium and hydroxide ions in solution at any given time. Granted, it may have no "free electrons" in the sense you may be thinking, but it does have charged particles, which is sufficient for this experiment.

Related to Kelvin water dropper and Walter Lewin

What is the Kelvin water dropper?

The Kelvin water dropper is an electrostatic generator that produces high voltage electricity using falling water droplets.

Who invented the Kelvin water dropper?

The Kelvin water dropper was invented by Scottish physicist William Thomson (also known as Lord Kelvin) in the 19th century.

How does the Kelvin water dropper work?

The Kelvin water dropper works by using the triboelectric effect, where two materials (in this case, water droplets and metal) create static electricity when they come into contact and then separate. The water droplets are initially charged by friction as they fall through metal rings, and then the separated charges are collected by metal plates at the bottom, creating a continuous flow of high voltage electricity.

What is the significance of the Kelvin water dropper?

The Kelvin water dropper is significant because it demonstrates the principles of electrostatics and has practical applications in generating high voltage electricity for experiments and demonstrations in physics. It is also a visually striking example of the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What is the connection between Walter Lewin and the Kelvin water dropper?

Walter Lewin, a Dutch-American physicist and former professor at MIT, is known for his popular lectures and demonstrations of physics, including the Kelvin water dropper. He often used the Kelvin water dropper in his lectures to explain concepts of electrostatics and energy conversion, making it a well-known and iconic experiment in the physics community.