Did You Break the Camera?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: You know, the reason Indians thought that photographs captured part of their soul or spirit is because when you move around a room the eyes of the photograph follow you. No matter where you stand in the room the picture will be looking at you. They figured that the photos must, therefore, have a certain kind of life in them, to be able to move their eyes like that, and that this life must have been subtracted from the object of the photograph.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Yep soon as Kia can, i am going to have me photomegraph taken, Kia is
bringing her soul catcher, it is so long that i had one done i am all nervous
what sort of pose should i have, is it best inside or out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do people over there call them soul catchers or are you just extra special? I thought that was a Native American thing anyway.?

Oh, and you would look best skin-side out. :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Do people over there call them soul catchers or are you just extra special? I thought that was a Native American thing anyway.?

Oh, and you would look best skin-side out. :smile:

I thought every one knew that cameras suck out a bit of ones soul, all that
science mumbo joumbo about chemicals and light sure don't fool me.
:blushing: :blushing:

wolram said:
I thought every one knew that cameras suck out a bit of ones soul, all that
science mumbo joumbo about chemicals and light sure don't fool me.
:blushing: :blushing:
Okay, 'nuff talk. Where's the goods, bub?

The photo, that is...

honestrosewater said:
Okay, 'nuff talk. Where's the goods, bub?

The photo, that is...

I have not had it taken yet, i do not own a camera, so i have to wait for
Kia, and what is a "bub"? Any ways up i have not seen one of you either
so may be you should reciprocate.

wolram said:
I have not had it taken yet, i do not own a camera, so i have to wait for
Kia,
I think you should take it indoors, because if the sun is too bright, it will make you squint and wrinkle up your face. And wearing sunglasses isn't fair. It would be cool to be holding a photo frame in the photo and later edit the photo into the frames that you're holding. Eh, so the photo is of you holding the photo of you holding the photo of you holding the photo...
and what is a "bub"?
Main Entry: bub
Pronunciation: 'b&b
Function: noun
Etymology: probably short for bubby little boy
: FELLOW, BUDDY -- used in informal address <come on, bub, get moving>
Any ways up i have not seen one of you either
so may be you should reciprocate.
Pfft, you're not getting my soul so easily. :devil:

Pictures are best taken out of doors for the good natural light. Not in direct sunlight, as HRW mentioned, but in a shady place, and not with a bright sky or anything bright behind you.

I hate pictures taken with a flash, and non-flash indoor pictures don't usually come out as sharp because of the low light. She should take quite a few and then you can decide which you want to post in the member photo thread.

Once it's posted HRW will be under obligation to post hers (a current one, not another baby pic)

(I would post mine, but it would be moved to Skepticism and Debunking and people would debunk it as just a man in a an ape suit.)

honestrosewater said:
I think you should take it indoors, because if the sun is too bright, it will make you squint and wrinkle up your face. And wearing sunglasses isn't fair. It would be cool to be holding a photo frame in the photo and later edit the photo into the frames that you're holding. Eh, so the photo is of you holding the photo of you holding the photo of you holding the photo...
Main Entry: bub
Pronunciation: 'b&b
Function: noun
Etymology: probably short for bubby little boy
: FELLOW, BUDDY -- used in informal address <come on, bub, get moving>
Pfft, you're not getting my soul so easily. :devil:

:smile: I love you Yanks, you are just so cranky.
I hear that if you take a picture of your reflection in a mirror your soul
is safe, so how about it Bub.
B and B, is bed and breakfast over here :devil:

wolram said:
I hear that if you take a picture of your reflection in a mirror your soul is safe...
You know, the reason Indians thought that photographs captured part of their soul or spirit is because when you move around a room the eyes of the photograph follow you. No matter where you stand in the room the picture will be looking at you.

They figured that the photos must, therefore, have a certain kind of life in them, to be able to move their eyes like that, and that this life must have been subtracted from the object of the photograph.

George Catlin, a painter who toured the west in the early 1800's ran into this problem with the portraits he painted of Indians as well. They considered his portraits to be very high magic, and once or twice he had to do some heavy negotiating with the tribes shamen to get them to believe it wasn't bad magic. In one tribe a council of chiefs was held to sort out whether or not the portraits were alive.

Mr wolram said:
Yep soon as Kia can, i am going to have me photomegraph taken, Kia is
bringing her soul catcher, it is so long that i had one done i am all nervous
what sort of pose should i have, is it best inside or out.
What's soul, Sir? :confused:

Lisa! said:
What's soul, Sir? :confused:

Your physical body is just a hand full of chemicals and water, your soul is what
animates and controls these ingredients.

wolram said:
:smile: I love you Yanks, you are just so cranky.
I hear that if you take a picture of your reflection in a mirror your soul
is safe, so how about it Bub.
Hmmm... well there goes my excuse that I don't have anyone to take the picture.
B and B, is bed and breakfast over here :devil:
Ugh, you're one tough customer.
bub (bŭb) pronunciation
n. Slang.

Used as a term of familiar address, especially for a man or boy: See you around, bub.

[Probably alteration and shortening of BROTHER.]
Happy?! :-p

zoobyshoe said:
(I would post mine, but it would be moved to Skepticism and Debunking and people would debunk it as just a man in a an ape suit.)
Hmm... an ape suit, you say...

Mr wolram said:
Your physical body is just a hand full of chemicals and water, your soul is what
animates and controls these ingredients.
Sounds like brain to me. What's a British Soul, then?

honestrosewater said:
Hmmm... well there goes my excuse that I don't have anyone to take the picture.
Ugh, you're one tough customer.
Happy?! :-p

Aww, no B@B

And no you have no excuse. :biggrin:

Lisa! said:

Your brain is mostly water and a pinch of chemicals, it "thinks" electro chemically, your soul organises the process.
Some people think that souls are passed on, or reused.

honestrosewater said:
Hmm... an ape suit, you say...
And there'd be no end of people willing to claim it was them wearing the ape suit when the photo was hoaxed.

[QUOTE

Once it's posted HRW will be under obligation to post hers (a current one, not another baby pic)

(I would post mine, but it would be moved to Skepticism and Debunking and people would debunk it as just a man in a an ape suit.)[/QUOTE]

It is only fair that you have a photo taken as well, if i have to suffer so should
you, i may have to join you in S @ D.

Mr wolram said:
Your brain is mostly water and a pinch of chemicals, it "thinks" electro chemically, your soul organises the process.
Some people think that souls are passed on, or reused.
What about my second question?

Lisa! said:
What about my second question?

I think you have to look at british history, there is a sort of merger or inherited
trait in souls of countrymen, the stiff upper lip, bull dog spirit, the nation of
shop keepers.

zoobyshoe said:
And there'd be no end of people willing to claim it was them wearing the ape suit when the photo was hoaxed.
Sure, they can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk? :wink:

wolram said:
I think you have to look at british history, there is a sort of merger or inherited
trait in souls of countrymen, the stiff upper lip, bull dog spirit, the nation of
shop keepers.
Can I find any evidence of its existence?

Lisa! said:
Can I find any evidence of its existence?

Think your most basic thoughts, they may give you a clue, and when i say
basic, you have to go deep.

Mr wolram said:
Think your most basic thoughts, they may give you a clue, and when i say
basic, you have to go deep.
I'm too sleepy, Sir. Just gimme the answer? :zzz:

Lisa! said:
I'm too sleepy, Sir. Just gimme the answer? :zzz:

I am sure some people will fall asleep while trying to feed them selfs,
i think that is where the notion of having lip and nose rings came from.

Mr wolram said:
I am sure some people will fall asleep while trying to feed them selfs,
i think that is where the notion of having lip and nose rings came from.
I couldn't sleep a wink, Sir. I just pretended to :zzz: !

PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION, SIR!

Picture day! How fun! I assume its a digital camera..and soon your soul will be zapped onto the internet! It kind of tingles at first, but you get use to it.

hypatia said:
Picture day! How fun! I assume its a digital camera..and soon your soul will be zapped onto the internet! It kind of tingles at first, but you get use to it.

I think Kias camera uses gun powder, and she used some incantation to get
my old image on the net.

Lisa! said:
A soul with no sense of humor? A dry sense of humor? A witty sense of humor?

A rather somewhat understated (not quite overstated) soul?

A soul that will endlessly thank you, thank you?

Soccer* souligans of Europe?

All stereotypes, of course. :smile:

Ok Bub, show us da goods!

Did you break the camera?

Last edited:

FAQ: Did You Break the Camera?

1. What is a soul catcher?

A soul catcher is a device used to capture and contain the soul of a living being. It is believed to have originated in certain spiritual and cultural beliefs and practices.

2. Why is Kia bringing her soul catcher?

It is unclear why Kia is bringing her soul catcher, as it may be a personal or cultural belief and practice. It is important to respect her decision and not make assumptions or judgments.

3. What happens when a soul is captured?

According to certain beliefs, when a soul is captured, it is contained within the soul catcher until it is released or transferred to another vessel or realm. The exact process and purpose may vary depending on the belief system.

4. Is it ethical to use a soul catcher?

The ethics of using a soul catcher may be subjective and dependent on personal beliefs and cultural norms. It is important to respect others' beliefs and practices, even if they differ from our own.

5. Are there any scientific explanations for soul catchers?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or explanation for the concept of soul catchers. It is considered a belief or cultural practice rather than a scientifically proven phenomenon.

Back