KiloNewton/Pound foot of thrust into Horsepower units

In summary, arjun is asking for help converting different units of measurement into each other. He is specifically looking for help with converting engine thrust into horsepower and watts. He states that this is a very basic conversion and he is struggling to derive precise equations. He has found information on google and wikipedia, but would appreciate help from an expert.
Arjun Singh said:
So overall two primary components of tyre as a product. Material and Tread pattern, which as you say is specific to application. What I understand is, wet weather tyre would have different tread pattern from a hot weather tyre. Or a standard tarmac tyre would have different tread pattern from offroading type. Same between ones for high speed cars and regular cars. Also, vehicles with different center of gravity or weight or application will use tyres with different tread patterns. I am assuming that tyre material in all the mentioned categories can remain the same or with minor differences, right? And how do they differ in shape as all tyres are round and visible differ only in thickness?

Actually, among normal street tires, rubber compound is one of the most significant differences. There are differences in tread pattern as well, but the largest reason a snow tire works well on snow and ice, or why a high performance summer tire has much more grip on dry pavement, is because of the rubber compound used. A summer tire will have a soft compound designed to maintain its strength but be extremely sticky at high temperatures, while a winter tire will have a soft compound designed to stay pliable at low temperatures, and a tire designed for heavy loads or long endurance will have a harder compound more resistant to wear.

As for shape, I mean whether the tread is slightly rounded on the edges, or more squarish, whether the sidewalls slightly bulge, etc. The differences are subtle, but they are important when it comes to how a tire will perform.

Likes Arjun Singh
Physics news on Phys.org
cjl said:
Both the Cup2 and the 4S have the highest speed rating in existence - (Y), which means in excess of 186mph.

Yes, but how much in excess? I don't think they mean 300mph.

Cheers

Likes Arjun Singh
True, but there's no specific rating above 186, so from a legal perspective, there really isn't a way to distinguish the tires required for a Veyron from those required for a Corvette. If you wanted to spend any significant amount of time over 200mph, you'd probably just want to contact the tire manufacturer in those cases, since there isn't actually a rating for it.

cjl said:
True, but there's no specific rating above 186, so from a legal perspective, there really isn't a way to distinguish the tires required for a Veyron from those required for a Corvette. If you wanted to spend any significant amount of time over 200mph, you'd probably just want to contact the tire manufacturer in those cases, since there isn't actually a rating for it.
What about tyre refurbishing? How effective is it to recycle an old tyre and make it workable again? There is already a good market for refurbished high end tyres sold in cheaper second hand markets.

I have never heard of refurbishing tires for high performance sports car use, and even for cheaper cars, I believe it's very rare. It's very common in the US for heavy commercial use on trucks and buses though.

cjl said:
I have never heard of refurbishing tires for high performance sports car use, and even for cheaper cars, I believe it's very rare. It's very common in the US for heavy commercial use on trucks and buses though.
Not that rare to say. Perhaps not a common trade yet it exists moderately available. See, these layers to product trade increases aspirational value for the expensive products. Someone using a refurbished high end tyre is more likely to buy it new someday as compared to someone who regularly buys moderately expensive tyre and is not aware of the performance upgrade such a tyre can give to his or her vehicle. Just a thought! Works well for many value intensive product categories.

Arjun Singh said:
Cool Helicopter.

Arjun Singh said:
Hey any comments about this new copter? Considering that coastal cities, with over water air space can accommodate a good number of air taxis and privately owned copters. Does anyone thinks that role of turboshaft engine makers in that scenario would become more prolific in terms of price, transmission innovation, variable fuel compatibility, design and overall performance? Also, would that make the modern copters become completely safe as a common form of inland urban transportation? Want to understand community's views.

sophiecentaur said:
Are there any straight jet engines used these days? I thought they were more like Fan engines these days
- quieter and at least as efficient.
Do you mean Turbojets getting replaced by Turbofans? There has been some comments about this in the thread. As I have understood, apparently due to their enhanced fuel efficiency turbofans or high bypass jet engines are slowly getting preference over turbojets. Still due to the size and power plant design they have very specific applications. Keep contributing. Cheers!

russ_watters said:
Probably, but either way I consider that semantics. A turbo fan "just moves air" even if some is bypassed around the jet part. Does that make it similar to a turboprop or turbo shaft on a helicopter? Perhaps. Yes, the line between types of engines and naming conventions can be blurry.
Can a similar design be made applicable to high speed ships? I believe majority naval fleets (commercial or defence) currently run on diesel or SHS piston engines driving a propeller. Viscosity and fluid mechanics may differ from air yet the propulsion theory is the same. What do you think?

Arjun Singh said:
What about wheeled construction machines?
What about googling it yourself?

David Lewis said:
I assume you're talking about the power or thrust maximum ratings. Since the engine supplier doesn't know which propeller is going to be used, or other relevant variables, it's simpler in the case of propeller-driven aircraft to specify maximum rated power. The designer multiplies power by estimated propulsive efficiency to arrive at thrust available.

In addition to the max ratings there is also thrust and power output under operating conditions, which varies with throttle setting, airspeed, and other factors. Aircraft engine horsepower is not directly comparable with automobile engines. Cars use a different measurement protocol.

True with jet engines. Piston engines and direct drive electric motors are often designed to provide lots of torque at low speed. A slow-turning propeller can produce thrust more efficiently.

Confusingly, engineers often say mass when they mean weight. If a body is said to "weigh" 10 kg, it is understood colloquially to mean the amount of gravitational force the body would experience near the Earth's surface.
In particle physics, when two sub atomic particles interact, is gravity involved in it given their quantum weight which I am sure has a specific value? Also do their post interaction trajectories affected by gravity? Let's assume that the electromagnetic force of the respective atom is balanced in the interaction.

Last edited:
A.T. said:
What about googling it yourself?
Thanks for your advice. Idea is to know the opinion on topics to share understandings. Contributory extent of members here is based on free will.

Arjun Singh said:
…when two sub-atomic particles interact, is gravity involved in it given their quantum weight which I am sure has a specific value? Also do their post-interaction trajectories affected by gravity? Let's assume that the electromagnetic force of the respective atom is balanced in the interaction.
Unless it's massless, each quantum object does have its own gravitational field but it is too weak in most cases to have any significant effect by itself. You are dealing with strong and electro-weak interactions when it comes to protons, neutrons, quarks, hadrons, etc.

David Lewis said:
Unless it's massless, each quantum object does have its own gravitational field but it is too weak in most cases to have any significant effect by itself. You are dealing with strong and electro-weak interactions when it comes to protons, neutrons, quarks, hadrons, etc.
Didn't understand the strong and electro-weak interactions. Do you mean the chemical or ionic reactivity involved in their interaction or is it something to do with their valance relativity? I mean their atomic number relativity or position in the atom? I am not a trained physicist so pardon the crude terminology.

The four fundamental forces are:

Strong interaction, or strong nuclear force (nuclear fusion)
Weak interaction (nuclear fission)
Gravity
Electromagnetism
(chemistry)

I've put in parentheses the corresponding phenomena to which the four forces informally relate.

Likes Arjun Singh
David Lewis said:
The four fundamental forces are:

Strong interaction, or strong nuclear force (nuclear fusion)
Weak interaction (nuclear fission)
Gravity
Electromagnetism
(chemistry)

I've put in parentheses the corresponding phenomena to which the four forces informally relate.
To conclude, any sub atomic or molecular interaction is a product of all these forces working as per their quantum relativity to the interactive premises of the reaction. Depending upon the nature of the reaction the designated force leads the process. Is this a closest to correct statement?

Of course. As you pointed out, depending on the branch of science, you may be focusing on one interaction at a time though. In everyday chemical reactions you will not be concerned about strong or weak nuclear forces directly as you would be in designing an atomic reactor. And in celestial mechanics, you will primarily deal with gravitation, and so on.

Likes Arjun Singh
David Lewis said:
Of course. As you pointed out, depending on the branch of science, you may be focusing on one interaction at a time though. In everyday chemical reactions you will not be concerned about strong or weak nuclear forces directly as you would be in designing an atomic reactor. And in celestial mechanics, you will primarily deal with gravitation, and so on.
Broadening the context, I have been conceptualizing a clean plastic to fuel process through plasma conversion. If I am not mistaken, at absolute plasma state all materials become identical and can be utilized for mechanical work without any harmful fallout. My question is, once the plasma precipitates can the material be recovered back to some reusable polymer state minus the used mass as heat loss and is it possible for the entire material to be utilized without any residue?

Arjun Singh said:
Broadening the context, I have been conceptualizing a clean plastic to fuel process through plasma conversion. If I am not mistaken, at absolute plasma state all materials become identical and can be utilized for mechanical work without any harmful fallout. My question is, once the plasma precipitates can the material be recovered back to some reusable polymer state minus the used mass as heat loss and is it possible for the entire material to be utilized without any residue?
This appears to be word salad. Possibly you envision heating up a material to the point where its atomic nuclei and their component protons and neutrons spontaneously disassociate into a "plasma" of quarks. We cannot heat a meaningful quantity of material to such a temperature, cannot confine the resulting plasma, cannot use such a process to perform useful work and cannot cause any particular material to "precipitate out". The idea of the residue being reusable is not sensible since the energy inputs to the process would be huge and almost certainly unrecoverable.

Likes russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
This appears to be word salad. Possibly you envision heating up a material to the point where its atomic nuclei and their component protons and neutrons spontaneously disassociate into a "plasma" of quarks. We cannot heat a meaningful quantity of material to such a temperature, cannot confine the resulting plasma, cannot use such a process to perform useful work and cannot cause any particular material to "precipitate out". The idea of the residue being reusable is not sensible since the energy inputs to the process would be huge and almost certainly unrecoverable.
Perhaps.

What are group's comment on Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey? I feel the aircraft design is quite sufficient to inspire a class of heli-crafts of near future for both passenger and cargo modes. Yet it is not much talked about.

Arjun Singh said:
What are group's comment on Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey? I feel the aircraft design is quite sufficient to inspire a class of heli-crafts of near future for both passenger and cargo modes. Yet it is not much talked about.
What market would it be serving? If you are competing against turboprop craft, the ATR 72 is larger, cheaper, faster and has fewer crew.

jbriggs444 said:
What market would it be serving? If you are competing against turboprop craft, the ATR 72 is larger, cheaper, faster and has fewer crew.
ATR 72 is a conventional fixed wing aircraft. I am talking about hybrid design of the Osprey. Aviation infrastructure, especially in emerging economies is concentrated towards major cities. Short Take-off/Vertical Take-off and landing aircrafts on the other hand do not require huge runways and thus can be served by airports with limited space and thus comparatively affordable infrastructure. Aircrafts like Osprey are basically made for defence purposes and here the operating costs are superseded by their unique field deployment capacities. A class of aircrafts built on such a platform for civilian use with comparative long haul and passenger capacities to their fixed wing counterparts, would surely consider low operating and maintenance costs as its prime design feature. Depending upon their application, these aircrafts can add an entirely new branch of premium and civil utility aviation infrastructure, to operate coordinatively alongside the present day high yield conventional infrastructure.

Last edited:
David Lewis said:
Unless it's massless, each quantum object does have its own gravitational field

Massless particles have a gravitational field too.

Cheers

cosmik debris said:
Massless particles have a gravitational field too.

Cheers
Ain't these particles somehow part of gravity itself?

Arjun Singh said:

Ummm, no!

Cheers

cosmik debris said:
Ummm, no!

Cheers
So how would you describe their quantum presence? Is their masslessness designates some sort of quantum threshold for energy to create mass?
What's your view?

Cheers!

Arjun Singh said:
So how would you describe their quantum presence? Is their masslessness designates some sort of quantum threshold for energy to create mass?
What's your view?

Cheers!

I don't know what any of this means, sorry.

Cheers

Arjun Singh said:
What are group's comment on Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey?
If you need an airplane with VTOL capability then the Osprey might be one to consider, but you will pay dearly for that capability.

Arjun Singh said:
My understanding is a photon will warp spacetime because of its momentum.

David Lewis said:
If you need an airplane with VTOL capability then the Osprey might be one to consider, but you will pay dearly for that capability.

My understanding is a photon will warp spacetime because of its momentum.
You mean by high fuel consumption due to VTOL?

Poor fuel efficiency is only the tip of the iceberg.

David Lewis said:
Poor fuel efficiency is only the tip of the iceberg.
What else?

Mechanical complexity, low reliability, astronomical acquisition & operating cost, maintenance requirements, accident rate and pilot skill required.

David Lewis said:
Mechanical complexity, low reliability, astronomical acquisition & operating cost, maintenance requirements, accident rate and pilot skill required.
Yet all these factors can be sorted out in the design upgrades of later class of VOTLs/STOLs. I believe Osprey's current design is good enough to inspire a whole new class of aircrafts without competing with conventional helicopters or fixed wing planes. A lot of its maintenance and handling complexities if any are I believe due to its unique use of twin turbo shafts which perhaps in future designs would become more integrated with the wing and fuselage, making the aircraft easier to operate.