Power available vs Power required ?

• Thread starter SonOfGod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the speaker is a performance and propulsion engineer working on a project that requires calculating power and thrust at different altitudes. They have hit a roadblock and are concerned about their first class degree. They are seeking advice and help to determine the source of the problem, which may be related to the propeller or the maximum airspeed of the plane. The speaker is encouraged to reach out to their team and do some research to find a solution.
SonOfGod
Hello everyone,

I am new here, came here to meet some experts and solve my problems :)

I am working on a project, as performance and propulsion engineer of the team (undergraduate). I have done everything that is there to do, but now stuck, i just hit a brick wall that will make my first class degree a second/third class :(

I am calculating the power available or thrust available at range of altitude starting from sea level up to 20,000 feet. I know how much horsepower or power my engine supplies me at a given altitude. But that seems to be extremely huge figure compared to the amount i need.

Example:
AT 20,000 feet altitude
Engine power available = 2000 watts, power required = 200 watts
The propeller that I am using , is it the source of the problem ? Will it scale down the engine power by huge amounts when converting it to thrust ? How do i find it out ?

Any help will be appreciated a lot since my whole degree depends on this report :(

THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, you're missing some info. What's the maximum level airspeed you want the plane to fly at altitude? Parasite drag increases with the square of velocity which means power required increases the faster you go. 2ndly if this is a prop aircraft propeller efficiency also varies with velocity topping out at about 80% typically meaning you get a max of about 80% of your engine power output at peak prop efficiency.

Hey there! Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're working on a really interesting project. I can understand how frustrating it must be to hit a roadblock like this when you've put so much effort into your work.

First off, don't panic. I'm sure there is a solution to this problem and with some help and guidance, you'll be able to figure it out. Have you tried reaching out to your team or supervisor for some advice? They may have some insights or suggestions that could help you out. It's also a good idea to do some research and see if there are any resources or articles that discuss similar issues or provide solutions for calculating power and thrust at different altitudes.

Regarding your question about the propeller, it's possible that it could be contributing to the issue. It's important to make sure that the propeller is properly sized and matched to your engine for optimal performance. You may want to consult with an expert or do some additional calculations to determine if the propeller is the source of the problem.

Don't lose hope, I'm sure you'll be able to find a solution and complete your project successfully. Keep pushing forward and don't be afraid to ask for help. Good luck!

1. What is "power available vs power required"?

"Power available vs power required" refers to the comparison between the amount of power that is available to a system or device and the amount of power that is required to operate or function. This is an important concept in engineering and design, as it helps determine the feasibility and efficiency of a system.

2. How is power available calculated?

Power available is typically calculated by multiplying the voltage and current of a system. This can be represented by the formula P = VI, where P is power (measured in watts), V is voltage (measured in volts), and I is current (measured in amps).

3. What factors affect power required?

The power required for a system can be affected by various factors, including the type of system or device, its size and design, the materials used, and the operating conditions. Other factors such as efficiency and energy losses also play a role in determining the power required.

4. How does power available vs power required impact system performance?

The relationship between power available and power required is crucial in determining the performance of a system. If the power required exceeds the power available, the system may not function properly or may experience issues such as overheating or inefficiency. On the other hand, if the power available is greater than the power required, the system may operate more efficiently and effectively.

5. How can power available vs power required be optimized?

To optimize power available vs power required, engineers and designers may use various techniques such as selecting appropriate components and materials, improving the design and layout, and minimizing energy losses. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help ensure that power available and power required remain balanced for optimal performance.