1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kind of looks like pascals triangle, i can't find the pattern the professor said

1. Dec 17, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone. I have the following problem that can be solved using a traingle that looks similar to pascals triangle, but i must have have misunder stood the professors method of finding the next row. I have a final tomarrow and learning this technique would help but he told us on the last day of class so i didn't have time to ask him again what he did.

The problem wants me to find out how many transitive, symetirc, and reflextive binary relations on S that has 5 elements. Well if somthing is transitive, symetric, and relfextive its jsut an equivlance relation, and a equivlance relation is just another way of saying, how many partitions exists in a set that has 5 elements? Well the answer is: 52.

Here is how the professor found it:
    1 1
    1 3 1
    1 7 6 1
    1 15 25 10 1

thats the 5th row down so 1 + 15 + 25 + 10 + 1 = 52, from what it looks like he is multiplying the first 1 in the 2nd row, by 2, then adding 1 = 3. then taking 3 * 2 + 1 = 7; but then i don't see how he is getting 6. I also see that he is taking 7*2 + 1 = 15, but i'm lost on how he found 25 and 10, any ideas? thanks.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2006 #2
    With the help of a friend i figured it out:
    you just take the number * its positon add it to the left most number to get ur next number.
    so the next row would be:
    1 15*2 + 1 25*3+15 10*4 + 25 + 1*5 + 10
    1 31 90 65 15 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?